Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No gloves, no pulling punches.
Since all the post regaurding the new saabaru have disappeared. I'd like to here all your chears and jeers about it.
I'll hold back my biased opinon for a few posts.
AO

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Pros:
Close in price to Subaru
Better looking than Subaru
Would make some hard cash for Saab's needy operations
Typical Subaru reliability
People think AWD is worth having
9-2X Aero version has promising performance
WRX aftermarket parts should fit
There are much worse cars than the Impreza on which to base a Saab, like a Honda Civic

Cons:
Probably won't sell as well as the 9-3 Sports Sedan
Costly - Nearly as much as 9-3 Sports Sedan
Very Subaru-ish
Essentially a Impreza with a better looking badge on the hood
WRX aftermarket parts should fit
Reminds me of the flying pigs on the Telus Mobility TV commercial
Doesn't have a lot of Saab input in the design (2nd gen should have much more)
The Impreza is an f-ing OLD design already!

·
Registered
179 Posts
i like it, but i do not care for wagons/hatches. i would be interested in a sedan though. i love the 9-3 body, and if you can couple that with Subi reliability (something Saab does not have IMO), AWD, and power (227hp +), i think you will have a hell of a car. not to mention the aftermarket...

and 900t, why is "wrx aftermarket parts should fit" in both columns? i should think that having an aftermarket exhaust and ecu worthy of 50 hp or more, would not be a con.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Its certainly both are great cars, consider 9-2X is basically share WRX's underpinnings. While I have no doubt about WRX's performance and dynamic qualities, I still doubt about the transformation from a Subaru to a SAAB. SAAB has unique identities that defined this brand: quirky, stylish, unique, fun, rare and timeless. I still unable to answer whether 9-2 has enough merits to become a "true SAAB" even though its a "true Scooby".

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
ho ho ho ....

The 9-2 is just a big joke and we fell for it ! :lol:

SAAB would never release such a silly looking machine :D

and based on the ageing superpoo/farmer wagon !

He He!... its a joke!.....yes????? :eek:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
HEF said:
...and 900t, why is "wrx aftermarket parts should fit" in both columns? i should think that having an aftermarket exhaust and ecu worthy of 50 hp or more, would not be a con.
Nothing is wrong with performance upgrades, but stuff that would make the 9-2X look like this:
which is, of, "questionable" aesthetic and aerodynamic value, well, this would be a con.

So would fartcan exhausts....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just because it's out there doesn't mean you have to do it...
How's this one work for ya?

even eliminates that dreded hood scoop. :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
are you sad because a fake saab is going to perform better, cost less and look better than your overpriced soft cars?

it's a joke, no really it is... :roll:

pardon my harsh ness, but say something more that its' a joke. Make some sence, will ya.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
m750 said:
are you sad because a fake saab is going to perform better, cost less and look better than your overpriced soft cars?

it's a joke, no really it is... :roll:

pardon my harsh ness, but say something more that its' a joke. Make some sence, will ya.
I find is extreemly difficult to believe that SAAB are going to rebadge that 'Thing' from Subaroowbarooo.....as a SAAB!!

Surely these press relese pics of the offending automobile only serve to divert the competition from SAAB's efforts to create a truely innovative and stunning brand new SAAB design....

Hat's off to SAAB if that's what the game is! ....... but holy soz batman; that's NOT the new SAAB is it!?....It looks like poo on rubber.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
come talk to me next year, we'll discuss sales figures...
If saab had anything truely compareable, they wouldn't be doing it.
AO

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
m750 said:
If saab had anything truely compareable, they wouldn't be doing it.
AO
True. alas :eek: GM have not invested enough in SAAB to create a new SAAB model to compete in this class.

The Subaru, although a fine machine is too quirky in the styling department to tackle Ford/Volvo head on. Looks like SAAB is bieng used as a badge to give image credit to this ugly design to plug GM's marketing hole. I may add to the detriment of the SAAB image.

I still find it hard to believe GM are downgrading the most luxurious GM owned european brand in this way.//SAAB

The 9-2 is going to be a true MINGER ! :eek:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't care how WRX is able to beat a SAAB on 0-60 mph run, quarter mile run, track time...blah...blah. All I care is the qualities that defined a SAAB brand. I have driven a couple of WRXs and 1 STi, I still couldn't find one dynamic traits that engineers could retuned it to make it "feels like a SAAB". It feels like a tin can with lots of hp, turbo lag and fast cornering. In a SAAB, you feel safe and secure while providing a fun and cool driving environment.

BTW, I didn't say WRX is a bad car. Its one of the most highly regarded performance cars in the world. Still, those who are shopping for a WRX would not go to a SAAB dealer. I don't think a SAAB dealer selling a rebadged WRX is a viable idea.

Seriously, I hope this damn car fails badly. If it fails, GM's stupid board members will have to reconsider using the Astra chassis for a "proper" 9-2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being both the owner of a Saab and a Subaru, I have to say that Saabs ARE pieces of crap when it comes to reliability compared to Subaru. And that is a fact. I have known and talked to many who have owned a Saab or a Subaru and that is not just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love Saabs. My first car was a Saab and they hold a special place in my heart even though that car was probably the worst thing that could happen to a 17 year old kid. But I am hear to defend the 9-2. First off how can anyone say that it doesn't look like a Saab? Without the hoodscoop, the front is as close to a 9-3 as you can get. And no one knows what the interior will be like, so why doesn't everyone stop their complaining about it until you actually see the inside. And if you have a problem with Saab using the best AWD system and a nice NORMAL engine then you can go ahead and stick with an old 900 with the engine turned around. Have fun spending money and wasting time to be "unique." It's such a terriable thing that Saab would team up with such a regular and boring company like Subaru. If you knew anything then you'd know that Subaru is just as "unique" as Saab, but more senseful. And incase you haven't noticed, Saab isn't as "unique" as they used to be. They don't look much different than BMW, Volvo, or any other Euro car now. But just for you all, I hope the 9-2 fails in the first year so in 2005 they can come out with a Saab/Chevy Caviler or something. Then maybe you'd appreciate the 9-2 for finally being a Saab with luxury and BALLS. So if you don't like the 9-2 then don't talk about it or think about because it won't have any effect of the reputation of your "real" Saab 9-5. I hope I don't make you spill your coffee as I blow by you in my 227 hp flat 4 9-2x with a HOODSCOOP enjoying my speed, power, reliablity, and LEATHER(the same leather as your 9-5). :cheesy:

P.S. It will be a sad day for you when Saab comes out with a SUV since every other company already has one. :(

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
My 1990 900 S has leather too, what is so great about that? Leather SUCKS, it doesn't hold you in as good as the velour, it's hard in the winter, mushy in the summer and will burn your legs in the sun, and if the previous owner doesn't take care of it, it gets cracked and torn.

The 9-3 SS is definately a design "reussi", ie, it's a good car.

As for sales figures, Subaru doesn't sell particularly well, either. (unless you are in Vermont)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Last time I checked Subaru was a second rate Japanese car in
terms of reliability. Ellroy2 I hope that when ya "BLOW BY"
us with your Saabaru you'll see us laughing at you for
wasting dough on a 9-2 when you could've saved & got a WRX.
Oh by the way, watch for the massive turbo laaaaaaag in the
boxer engine Saab or we'll blow by you.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.