SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
Mostly bits and bobs; lots of commonality within the brakes and hub assemblies, there is a bit of parts exchange between the V6 petrol engines.

And welcome to Saabcentral.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ragtopcav said:
Mostly bits and bobs; lots of commonality within the brakes and hub assemblies, there is a bit of parts exchange between the V6 petrol engines.

And welcome to Saabcentral.
Thanks mate. I have a Jag S type at the moment, but need to get shut as its playing up (surprise). I used to have a 9-5 and loved it, should have kept it. People like winding me up saying its just a Vectra, but I want another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
My exhaust heat shielding had Opel stamps all over it. We never got the Vectra here in the states (good thing?) but I really like my 9-5 regardless what other cars it shares its platform with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
rockinelectro said:
People like winding me up saying its just a Vectra, but I want another.
When saab people say that, we tell them to go back to their C900 forum. :p

As for other people saying that, they don't know anything. The 9-5 shares some of its underpinnings and some of it's suspension layout with the vectra (and maybe the mirror switch), but the commonalities end there. The whole interior, the springs and shock selection, the 4 cylinder petrol engine (trust me, it's the one you want), and the entire look of the car are different. I really don't know how this "it's just a vectra" BS got started, but it's stuck in a bad way and it's not even that true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
Raven18940 said:
When saab people say that, we tell them to go back to their C900 forum. :p

.
It is. But is that a bad thing?




....*and away he goes to the C900 workshop*

No I'm just kidding. The 9-5 is an interesting car. Much faster and more comfortable than the Opel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
I love my Vectra :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
I thought the "epsilon" platform from GM was used on both the Vectra and the 9-5. And I thought the "epsilon" platform meant the chassis!!!!

But I'm probably compleatly wrong.:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,774 Posts
woywitka said:
It is. But is that a bad thing?
That looks awesome... I really hope that they bring it to the US as a Saturn. Who in their right mind would look at this and say... "nope, I'm still buying a Camry"? :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
woywitka said:
It is. But is that a bad thing?




....*and away he goes to the C900 workshop*

No I'm just kidding. The 9-5 is an interesting car. Much faster and more comfortable than the Opel.
Cool lookin car! I'm not ashamed to share bits from that. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
GONE FISHING said:
I thought the "epsilon" platform from GM was used on both the Vectra and the 9-5. And I thought the "epsilon" platform meant the chassis!!!!

But I'm probably compleatly wrong.:(
Epsilon is shared by Vectra C (current one) and 9-3/BLS/Malibu

9-5 'shared' chassis with Vectra B ('95-'02)

Epsilon II will be the floorpan of new 9-5/next 9-3 and the Vauxhall Insignia....

I had a Vectra B ('00 2.0 SRi with the irmscher bodykit) - very good car... my 9-3 Aero is better though:cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts
It's funny the fuss some people make about sharing a chassis. It happens in every car company everywhere, and is unavoidable. The only places you don't see it are on exclusive cars like Ferrari, Bugati (sp?), and Aston Martin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,035 Posts
SectorNine50 said:
It's funny the fuss some people make about sharing a chassis. It happens in every car company everywhere, and is unavoidable. The only places you don't see it are on exclusive cars like Ferrari, Bugati (sp?), and Aston Martin.
Or in a C900;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,845 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,576 Posts
woywitka said:
Or in a C900;)
That's just a heavily re-hashed old Triumph that was sold by Saab long past it's sell by date I'm afraid, all its platform partners ceased in the era of the 99.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
445 Posts
Vauxhalls are brilliant. I have driven all new Vectras, Astras and Corsas - they handle well, good gearchange etc etc

I had a Cavalier for a year and a half that was soooo reliable.

And think of the sports models they have had and have:

Cav Turbo 4x4
Astra GSi
Astra Turbos
Carlton GSi, Lotus Carlton
Monaro

Im sure there are more.

People who believe that sharing platform with a Vauxhall is a bad thing are just being petty:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,211 Posts
mark24 said:
Well Chris I take it one is a company car [vectra] while the other is a personal choice [SAAB 9-5]

I'm right RIGHT!
Erm, sorry it was rather tongue in cheek, I meant my 9-5 ;)

I dont care at all about shared platforms or clever chappies saying it's a vectra.

I'm usually a mile from them by the time they have finished their sentence anyways :cheesy:

My 9-5 is my daily drive and I use it work work everyday too :p
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top