SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to visit the States this summer and do a coast to coast road trip (Cali - Florida). I know this is a long shot, but if someone has the info, you here at SC have it. Are there any car rentals in USA that have Saabs in their offer? A 9-5 would be great to drive ~6000-7000 miles.
I know there are many nice cars to choose from, but why not a Saab if
possible :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know and personally have never seen a rental Saab, but you can try Hertz. I think they have the larges selection of luxury rentals.

W

·
0 Posts
Pretty sure none of the major rental companies have Saabs...

I am a big fan of renting from Alamo. At many major airports, you can choose any car within your class they have available at the moment. Last time I rented in Florida, they had a brand-new Ford Fusion (Mondeo) in the mid-size class I reserved.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
I'm planning to visit the States this summer and do a coast to coast road trip (Cali - Florida). I know this is a long shot, but if someone has the info, you here at SC have it. Are there any car rentals in USA that have Saabs in their offer? A 9-5 would be great to drive ~6000-7000 miles.
I know there are many nice cars to choose from, but why not a Saab if
possible :)
For a trip like that, wouldn't it be MUCH more fun to do it in something interesting than just another <yawn> rental?

Beg, borrow, steal - even BUY (and resell) something interesting.

(We did it the other way round - Massachusetts, down the east coast, then across the south to California - in a borrowed 2cv)

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
A couple years ago I saw a 9-3ss with an Enterprise sticker on it. I've also seen Volvo S60 T5's and Infiniti G35's on their lots, so you could try them. Just call way in advance.

W

·
0 Posts
Enterprise only allows one-way rentals within a metropolitan area. No one-way rentals from coast-to-coast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. I knew it's a long-shot, but had to try. Maybe I'll still manage to find one. As said, I don't really *need* to drive a Saab there, but if I can get one, why the hell not. I know each inch of the car, I drove 800-1100 trips with my 9-5 with little or no fatigue... And the thought of driving ~250 miles daily in a car that I know well would ease the trip :)

@TooMany2cvs: haha, the idea of stealing one and do a coast to coast chase sounds like a nice spice-up of the plan :)

@Tweek's Turbos: the basic trip plan is: California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida. We'll see what comes along and maybe reroute if needed.

·
Premium Member
31,228 Posts
Pretty sure none of the major rental companies have Saabs...
A local AVIS outlet had 9-5s (special order only) a few years ago. But it was going for like Cdn$75/day :cry:

I am a big fan of renting from Alamo. At many major airports, you can choose any car within your class they have available at the moment.
I think at the Alamo head office:

You can get the basic no-frills compact for $29.99/day:

But if you have an Entertainment Book coupon you can get a free upgrade to deluxe SUV: :lol:

·
Banned
2,175 Posts
I rented a Saab from Enterprise Car Rental in Denver in 1998.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Dunno about Saabs but I always rent from Enterprise. They have the best customer service in my experience.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I rented a Saab from Enterprise Car Rental in Denver in 1998.
Ditto...about 6 years ago, we rented a 9-5 Aero Wagon from Enterprise...

·
Registered
287 Posts
You can rent a Saab from some specialty rental center in LA, but not from any major rental company. If you want to stay Swedish, then you can rent a Volvo S60 at National Car Rental. I've gotten one a few times for business travel.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I think Budget used to have 9000's and later 9-5's that everyone used to rent when going to the SOC's but no more as Saab tried to kill all fleet sales to shore up resale value

·
Registered
811 Posts
I remember seeing a 9-3 Vert at the Honolulu Airport last year when I was there. I dont recall the company, but for some reason I remember RED. The rental company had a red logo, I do remember that much.

Good luck on your search, you mind want to check out Hertz as others have said, they do have some nice Volvos and Audis.

Drew

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think Budget used to have 9000's and later 9-5's that everyone used to rent when going to the SOC's but no more as Saab tried to kill all fleet sales to shore up resale value
Looks like it is working out swimmingly :D

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Wouldn't it just take some of the "Vive la difference" out of it, though?
So instead put him in a 1,8 litre Caliber, not a good way to see the U.S.A., for this you need a Chev - ro - lay! :lol:

In seriousness try to get a Charger usually and with a V8! V8 will probably be nearly impossible but a 3.5 V6 isn't so bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldn't it just take some of the "Vive la difference" out of it, though?
It would indeed. But as I said, why not :)

So instead put him in a 1,8 litre Caliber, not a good way to see the U.S.A., for this you need a Chev - ro - lay! :lol:

In seriousness try to get a Charger usually and with a V8! V8 will probably be nearly impossible but a 3.5 V6 isn't so bad.
LOL @ Caliber :nono;

1 - 20 of 34 Posts