Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
findthisfunny said:
I believe the magneride suspension is lready used in the Corvette, some Cadillacs, and on the new Buick Lucerne. The suspension I'm waiting for is the Bose suspension. Check it out here:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/0410_bose/
Yes, the Corvette does offer a Magentic suspension and Caddy has had it for a while. The article specifically states two European brands. BMW already buys trannys from GM, so why not more American enginnering? Benz has their ABC suspension system so I doubt they need it. The supercar/exotic brands I don't think would be interested. That leaves... Saab, Volvo, Jaguar, VW, Audi. I don't see Ford letting Jag or Volvo use GM stuff. BMW and Saab are my bet. Hopefully on the 9-3, probably on the 9-5.

I remember reading about the Bose suspension a while back. It looks promising but expensive.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It could be a good addition (or option at least) to the next 9-5, and maybe something for the current (and next) 9-7x to help with ride and handling. I wouldn't really expect to see it in the 9-3, though anything is possible I suppose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
strat81 said:
Yes, the Corvette does offer a Magentic suspension and Caddy has had it for a while. The article specifically states two European brands. BMW already buys trannys from GM, so why not more American enginnering? Benz has their ABC suspension system so I doubt they need it. The supercar/exotic brands I don't think would be interested. That leaves... Saab, Volvo, Jaguar, VW, Audi. I don't see Ford letting Jag or Volvo use GM stuff. BMW and Saab are my bet. Hopefully on the 9-3, probably on the 9-5.

I remember reading about the Bose suspension a while back. It looks promising but expensive.
Don't forget there are other popular European car brands that are not in the US: Fiat, Puegot, Renault, Citron, and others.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily assume that Delphi would not sell that suspension to any Ford companies. Delphi is really trying to get away from selling so much to GM. Delphi consistently cites GM as their major problem. GM sets up many contracts that Delphi has to follow, and does not allow them to be profitable. That's why Delphi is in as much trouble as they are. Plus, Delphi recently got a new President, Steve Miller (not the band), which is not an ex-GM employee for once and most likely have Delphi file for bankruptcy to get out of those contracts (Most likely going to happen in October).

I don't think Delphi is going to sell that suspension to GM for another reason. Quadrasteer, the four-wheel steering system found in some GM utilities is also a Delphi product that failed miserably in the marketplace. GM failed to advertise it and limited it to 2500 series utilities and large pickups. Delphi currently sell less than 1000 (yes, one-thousand) per year of that system to GM per year. Delphi would love to sell that system to other companies when they eventually stop selling it to GM. From what I've heard, Nissan is interested in Quadrasteer for its full sized utilities.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
smicallef427 said:
I wouldn't necessarily assume that Delphi would not sell that suspension to any Ford companies. Delphi is really trying to get away from selling so much to GM. Delphi consistently cites GM as their major problem. GM sets up many contracts that Delphi has to follow, and does not allow them to be profitable. That's why Delphi is in as much trouble as they are. Plus, Delphi recently got a new President, Steve Miller (not the band), which is not an ex-GM employee for once and most likely have Delphi file for bankruptcy to get out of those contracts (Most likely going to happen in October).

I don't think Delphi is going to sell that suspension to GM for another reason. Quadrasteer, the four-wheel steering system found in some GM utilities is also a Delphi product that failed miserably in the marketplace. GM failed to advertise it and limited it to 2500 series utilities and large pickups. Delphi currently sell less than 1000 (yes, one-thousand) per year of that system to GM per year. Delphi would love to sell that system to other companies when they eventually stop selling it to GM. From what I've heard, Nissan is interested in Quadrasteer for its full sized utilities.
GM already uses that suspension.

Also it is worth noting that Ford does use some Delphi components, and GM uses some Visteon components. They don't use much right now, but slowly the two companies are branching out. Delphi is having more luck than Visteon though.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CosmicSaab said:
GM already uses that suspension.

Also it is worth noting that Ford does use some Delphi components, and GM uses some Visteon components. They don't use much right now, but slowly the two companies are branching out. Delphi is having more luck than Visteon though.
I wouldn't expect Delphi not to sell to Ford, but I don't think Ford would jump at the chance. However, with Delphi, Ford, GM, and Visteon all in the toilet lately, they'd be better off trying to work together. Quadrasteer is a great feature but it's pretty expensive. Nissan's interest doesn't surprise me - they offered rear-wheel steering a few years back, I think on the Q45.

I'm not too familiar with Visteon, but I do know that Delphi produces medical equipment and consumer electronics - not just auto parts.

On another note, part of Delphi's financial problems stemmed from accounting problems. Along with GM's loss of market share (they are Delphi's biggest customer), Delphi's stock has been getting hammered over the past 6 months. It showed some signs of strength in the past month or so, but last week was not a good week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts