SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on how long our rough/creaky suspension will last after 90k miles? (150k km). I am not posting about the creaks and rattles which have been ongoing for the past 9 years, but rather the actual life of the suspension. I don't plan to drive this car more than another 30k miles. There is nothing physically wrong with the suspension aside from the very rough (and low) ride on my 2003 9-3 linear (with sport package, which is equivalent to the Vector suspension of that year).
I know my mechanic will advise to change it in the next 10k miles but I don't want to invest any more $ - just want to unload this car but need it another few years until the newborn daughter is a bit older and I can put payments into a Benz and not formula ;-)

Thanks for any thoughts or input on how long others have gone with similar models / miles w/o replacing your susp?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unless the shocks are blown, you should be fine for another 30k miles. The creaks and moans are more likely bushings which, being made of rubber, may be falling apart by now. But maybe not. Have you looked? If you don't want to spend money on the car, don't.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I waited until 107K miles but wish I had done it sooner suspensions degrade slowly over time so it is hard to remember how bad it has become.

Moat of the suspension threads especially seem to mention struts, bushings and strut mounts/strut bearings as going between 75-100K miles. but you car is old for its miles which means rubber most likely worn out.
Also sway bar links.

You must know someone who knows cars and can give you an honest opinion (no $$ involved.

You have put on 90k miles in 9 years and you are going to keep it about 3 more years (30k more miles). I'd seriously consider getting it done.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I waited until 107K miles but wish I had done it sooner suspensions degrade slowly over time so it is hard to remember how bad it has become.

Moat of the suspension threads especially seem to mention struts, bushings and strut mounts/strut bearings as going between 75-100K miles. but you car is old for its miles which means rubber most likely worn out.
Also sway bar links.

You must know someone who knows cars and can give you an honest opinion (no $$ involved.

You have put on 90k miles in 9 years and you are going to keep it about 3 more years (30k more miles). I'd seriously consider getting it done.
Thanks Zinfandel, great points. I know you are right. I want to unload the car Everytime something small goes on it and my wife keeps threatening me to junk it, but can't afford to do so at the moment. I figure 1.5k in suspension is less than 3months payments on my next car. And I'd like to keep it, knock wood until 2015-2016. I have most of the gremlins ironed out after 5 years !! ;-).

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Thanks Zinfandel, great points. I know you are right. I want to unload the car Everytime something small goes on it and my wife keeps threatening me to junk it, but can't afford to do so at the moment. I figure 1.5k in suspension is less than 3months payments on my next car. And I'd like to keep it, knock wood until 2015-2016. I have most of the gremlins ironed out after 5 years !! ;-).
It will not cost you $1.5 K for suspension. Less than $600 for parts. Can you do it yourself? Ended up costing be like $300 for install at local tire shop but I did bushings, bearings, sway bar links, struts, rear shocks. You can go a little cheaper on the shocks and struts and do sway bar links later if needed. I bet you can get this down to $400 for parts and maybe $200 for install if you look around

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227378&highlight=suspension+overhaul

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Try Rock Auto

Monore rear shocks for $34 each, or KYB for $45 each
Front struts Monroe $89, KYB $115 each
Strut Mount KYB $37 ( do not get Uro, crap)
Strut bearing $20 each

Total Under $400
try other sites, you might find some specials to lower the cost even more
When yo go for a labor quote tell them to only charge you for a strut an shock install, the other parts must be removed an dput back anyway so installing new parts is the same same cost as reinstalling the old.

I bet you can get labor for $200-under $300. So if you keep the car fo r3 years it total cost per year is $200-$250

Good luck
I realize taxes and shipping may add some $$. You can try local part stores too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I did all this stuff with Monroe Sensatrac when my strut bearings went bad. The stock struts had 80k at the time so I just had them change them while the car was unbuttoned. I would wait til the strut bearings go; they will pretty soon if they haven't already. Then go with Monroe struts. I really like the ride and they were very affordable as indicated by above poster.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try Rock Auto

Monore rear shocks for $34 each, or KYB for $45 each
Front struts Monroe $89, KYB $115 each
Strut Mount KYB $37 ( do not get Uro, crap)
Strut bearing $20 each

Total Under $400
try other sites, you might find some specials to lower the cost even more
When yo go for a labor quote tell them to only charge you for a strut an shock install, the other parts must be removed an dput back anyway so installing new parts is the same same cost as reinstalling the old.

I bet you can get labor for $200-under $300. So if you keep the car fo r3 years it total cost per year is $200-$250

Good luck
I realize taxes and shipping may add some $$. You can try local part stores too.
Here is my quote from my fairly priced indie (keep in mind, Canadian prices / parts are more north of the border, usually by 15%).

Sachs parts:
Front struts – 196 x2 =$392 + 267 (labour) Total 659
Rear Shocks – 148 x2 = 296 + 133.50 Total 429.50
Typically a good idea to replace the front strut bearings at same time as they are only an additional $48/side.

Only used the OEM Sachs shocks/struts and a few sets of Bilstein, both are good – bilstein are a little stiff though. KYB offer shocks but I have never used them, they are likely cheaper as slightly lower quality/lower performance. Let me know though and I can look into them if you would like.

The springs are not likely the originals in the car, they have had a problem with corrosion and breaking – if they are original then fronts should be replaced, rear are likely ok. Front coil springs are $99 each, no additional labour.

Any thoughts? I knew i couldn't get away with less than 1k, and I don't really want to shop around, time = $.. but i don't want to throw money away either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts