SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 saab 9-7 and lost my 2nd key to it recently. Come to find out the keys are on world wide back order and next to impossible to find. I called my local dealers and they said it could be over 3 months before they could get me a new remote. I searched around the internet and got in contact with someone over at ikeyless.com. They have the ability to recondition keys, I went ahead and ordered one and it came in looking next to new with a new insert as well. I took it to the dealer and they were able to program it no problem. I don't know how ikeyless.com does it but I would suggest calling them if you need to replace your 9-3 or 9-5 smartkey, they seem to be the only ones in the world who have them. And it shipped to me in days not weeks. Hope this helps someone out.

·
Registered
301 Posts
this should be posted in the 9-7 forum. but that is weird, considering the 9-7 is basically a gmc envoy/chevy trailblazer. Try hitting up a GM dealer and see what they say

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have a 2007 saab 9-7 and lost my 2nd key to it recently. Come to find out the keys are on world wide back order and next to impossible to find. I called my local dealers and they said it could be over 3 months before they could get me a new remote. I searched around the internet and got in contact with someone over at ikeyless.com. They have the ability to recondition keys, I went ahead and ordered one and it came in looking next to new with a new insert as well. I took it to the dealer and they were able to program it no problem. I don't know how ikeyless.com does it but I would suggest calling them if you need to replace your 9-3 or 9-5 smartkey, they seem to be the only ones in the world who have them. And it shipped to me in days not weeks. Hope this helps someone out.
EDIT: OOPS nevermind just saw its for a 9-7

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought so until I looked everywhere else. And also found that if I lost my second key, there is no key you can buy after that, they have to install an entirely new keyless entry system, which is upwards of 1800. So I thought the better bargain was the key, especially after the wait I was going to have at the dealership, plus there price went up since it is on world wide back order. So it was worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I'd wait until the dealer gets them back in. Mine only charges $125 for a fob, hard key, and programming.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Whoops, I meant 9-3...I'm an idiot.
Oh Ok, well in that case, if you can't wait for a dealer to get it in stock, you can find them cheaper at autotransponder.com I bought one there for 168.60 Shipped. You can even have them pre-laser cut it for 29 bucks with your key code, then just pay the dealer to program. I just got this done last week.

My dealer confirmed that they are only on backorder until Saab pays the manufacturer....who the hell knows when that would be?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Ok, well in that case, if you can't wait for a dealer to get it in stock, you can find them cheaper at autotransponder.com I bought one there for 168.60 Shipped. You can even have them pre-laser cut it for 29 bucks with your key code, then just pay the dealer to program. I just got this done last week.

My dealer confirmed that they are only on backorder until Saab pays the manufacturer....who the hell knows when that would be?
They are out of stock. :(

·
Registered
301 Posts
dont be so quick to buy the new key/system. I thought I had lost my second key, and six months later found it in a barely used pocket in my backpack. lgive it a little bit, just when you give up hope, you'll probably find it

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Even 6 months ago it took the "New Saab" under Spyker over a month to get me 2 new hard keys.

Yep Saab/GM sent the wrong hard keys for her car. Both of them so you have to wonder who got "our" keys.

But we had to wait over a month for the two new hard keys to arrive. Obviously, we found this out when the computer had a brain fart and would not unlock her car. Then the key inside would not open it either. I figured that it was Spyker just not being helpful regarding the old GM client base.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
This is just another way to drive America bankrupt and drown in our own juices.

So is this example #343 of how "quirky" our Saabs are. Really, $168 for what should be a $2 cash out of pocket transaction at the key machine in the hardware section.

This is not technology improving our lives, this is techno BS holding us hostage and they think they will sell us another car when ... do they realize we are bankrupt? Ain't gonna' be another new car sold.

:roll:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ebay?

Has anybody had tried this guy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-1...ccessories&fits=Make:Saab&hash=item336b3e6172

I contacted him about this because everything I read would suggest that it has to be a brand new key. He assured me that they can reset them to factory settings and they will be programmable at that point. I asked him if he had any proof of customers that had purchased keys and successfully had them programmed. He said he hadn't sold any as of yet, but had sent a few out to be programmed when company was deciding whether this was worth doing or not. The keys were successfully programmed in the then...

Anyway I'm going to hold off a little longer to see if the dealer can get one in the near future. Anybody here have any idea when Saab might start making these again? I'm guessing they are low priority with everything they are going through right now.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
So is this example #343 of how "quirky" our Saabs are. Really, $168 for what should be a $2 cash out of pocket transaction at the key machine in the hardware section.
You realize this is not a Saab exclusive problem. Just about every manufacturer has "smart keys" these days that cost well over $100 to replace. Even the lowest level Nissan Versa has this an as option. Saab, BMW, Audi, VW, Toyota, Nissan, Acura, Chevy, Ford....name a manufacturer that doesn't use this sort of technology in their cars these days. Want a $2 key? Gonna have to buy a 20 year old car.

·
Registered
742 Posts
You realize this is not a Saab exclusive problem. Just about every manufacturer has "smart keys" these days that cost well over $100 to replace. Even the lowest level Nissan Versa has this an as option. Saab, BMW, Audi, VW, Toyota, Nissan, Acura, Chevy, Ford....name a manufacturer that doesn't use this sort of technology in their cars these days. Want a $2 key? Gonna have to buy a 20 year old car.
I can relate to tunnan's frustration but i also see what you mean sptsdn, My Sienna's key is 77 bucks for a key and transmitter at amazon.com. BUT I can program it at home with some weird "open the door and turn the key x amount of times" procedure a'la Street Fighter on Super Nintendo secret code to get unlimited lives lol. With the Saab, it requires special software and special people, who charge special prices....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't understand. Whatever happened to the questionable law that says car manufacturers must keep parts available for 10 years? Is that not true? Does it not apply to keys?

If Saab cant keep key fobs in stock, how can I have confidence that I can repair my car in the future? This makes me seriously consider selling my car when the warranty expires.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Yes, sadly I am fully aware. It was like the charge of $246 for my Volvo door latch the other day.

Or $400 for wifey's 2.0 side mirror.

It does not take long to hit the "bankrupt" numbers on what looks to be a perfectly good car. Look at the number of folks who have simply stopped paying their mortgage in the last few years.

Dodge ... believe it or not ... I think I heard right, I doing what I said should have been done years ago. Offer a base model that is really base. The customer is not forced to take options they will never use and I can roll my own windows up, don't need a sunroof or programmable door locks.

Give me a basic honest car not a living room stereo on wheels. I think Dodge is onto something. A friend of mine who was at the time managing a BMW and Nissan franchise said "leases are to get people into cars that they otherwise can't afford".

So many today do not have jobs and we are sending great stuff off to the scrapper because of repair costs. It has to stop somewhere. We are at a very bad "curve" in the economy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts