SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Dear everyone,
This is my first post on Saab Central, I will introduce my Saab 9-3OG cabriolet from 1999 with a T5 B204E engine, stage 1 to 1.1 bar on the turbo, so making around 215-220 hp. later :)

I have two SID2 at home, one is the original one (with the date 990310) and another one from a salvage Saab cabriolet (with the 2003 date), both need to be revised but just want to revise one of them (also due to money)
First I have a question: I wonder if the SID2 from 2003 has more features and is noticeably better than my original 1999 one and is different, due to the different part numers.

I only noticed that the 'checklist' at startup is quicker and there is no 'test brake lights' thing before you can do anything with the SID. Does not really bother me, I press the brake anyway when starting the car and like to know that my brake lights work馃槃

Just wondering, because the hardware version, software version, EOL SET version and Autoliv is different and seems newer. Even the part number, but on the other hand, the the original SID2 'belongs' to my car, so with that one I am sure everything works fine with my car. The other, newer SID2 seems to be working fine as well and looks like it does exactly the same, but it even has a different part number.

Beneath you can see the two different SID2 I have.
Thank you (in advance) for the effort of reading and replying!

Registered
Your original SID is the basic SID that is correct for your year.

Your later SID is a SID that is given as the replacement for the "no longer available" SID w/trip meter for your year.

So either will work in your car. Ideally, you would use a Tech II to make sure the newer SID is programmed for your car. That includes the brake test if you want.

If you download WIS and EPC, you can see these part numbers in EPC (part number catalogue).

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Your original SID is the basic SID that is correct for your year.

Your later SID is a SID that is given as the replacement for the "no longer available" SID w/trip meter for your year.

So either will work in your car. Ideally, you would use a Tech II to make sure the newer SID is programmed for your car. That includes the brake test if you want.

If you download WIS and EPC, you can see these part numbers in EPC (part number catalogue).
Thanks Ed!
The newer SID2 already is programmed to operate the convertible roof and displays messages (e.g. 'check soft top latches'). I will download and look into the WIS and EPC, but I do not know what I can expect to find in it, since you already give me a useful answer(y)

So actually it is just another SID2 that I can just use like any other SID2 in my Saab, even if the part numbers are different?

Registered
Thanks Ed!
The newer SID2 already is programmed to operate the convertible roof and displays messages (e.g. 'check soft top latches'). I will download and look into the WIS and EPC, but I do not know what I can expect to find in it, since you already give me a useful answer(y)

So actually it is just another SID2 that I can just use like any other SID2 in my Saab, even if the part numbers are different?
Yes, the SIDs are interchangable, keeping in mind that programming for your car may be useful (in your case), and necessary (if the replacement SID was not set up for a convertible).

The advantage of having WIS/EPC is it lets you figure out what parts interchange, and what year ranges.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have downloaded WIS and EPC. Wauw you can find much information in it, but I am not sure how to use it, and if I use it correctly but here is my best shot:
I figured out that they are interchangeable.
The first original one is part no. 5038203 andwith the reference 12806119.
The newer 2003 model one (2nd picture) has a part number 5263223 has also the reference 12806119.
They have the same references but I had to filter on different model years. So I think I am fine.
Furthermore, I read on the Dutch form that some have no problems changing SID2 and some had, some even lost the media control from the steering wheel when changing with another SID2. Some had calibration problems, for example that someone constantly had the 'washer fluid low' message.

Hopefully I am alright. Thank you so much for the help once again, Ed!
EDIT: I discovered that those SID2 problems occur with Saabs 9-5. From (or after, do not know) 2003, the 9-5 got an update which required an other SID placed in the 9-5 to be programmed with a TECH2. Before 2003, they were interchangeable without programming.

Registered
Yes, it sounds like you have figured it out. Both 1999 and 2003 SIDs point to an updated part number. And there is no issue switching between the basic SID and the SID w/trip meter (I think that's SID1 and SID2 for OG9-3).

The 9-5 SID issue has to do with shift paddles for the 5 speed automatic transmission. The first year that had paddle shifters was 2003. All the steering wheel inputs go through the SID, and the earlier SIDs could not be programmed for the shift paddles, and so you got a gearbox light. This isn't an issue with the OG9-3.

And there is a lot of information in WIS and EPC! It takes a while to figure out the system, and even now sometimes I don't find a part in EPC, so someone helpful like Mimmi points it out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great! I indeed see many different part numbers on SID from the 9-5 (could not be bothered to check every single one).
Glad you could confirm my findings!
I still owe an introduction of me and my Saab to this forum, will do that soon!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I tried to look up advantages a 2003 has compared to the 1999 SID2 for the 9-3OG.
Could not find any differences, therefore I will play it safe and sent my original SID2 for repair and warranty. Tech2 capabilities are the same, for what I found.

Edit: Yes Ed, I have heard people change from SID1 to SID2 without programming. But as you said, it is recommended to reprogram whenever another SID comes in. I do not have quick access to an Tech2 unfortunately.
I sent the original back in because I do not want to fiddle around with different SID2. I get warranty on the repaired unit, so that relieves a lot of headache. My original unit also has 'check brake lights', this is programmable but you'll need (someone with) a Tech2. Apparently this was required here if you had cruise control. It tests the brake switch/fuse (something in that direction) so that the cruise control switches off when you brake.

Registered
The SID with trip meter information does give you additional features. If you don't need them, then they get in the way.

My 2003 9-5 does not say "TEST BRAKE LIGHTS", but as I discovered, the cruise won't work until I have touched the brake after starting the car. So I don't think it's relevant whether SID asks you or not. That is a T7 car.

On the other hand, my NG900 always said TEST BRAKE LIGHTS, but I could start without touching the brakes, and while SID had that message showing, I could engage cruise and it worked fine. It was a Motronic car, but of course the cruise control is separate from the thrrottle.

I don't know how it works on your car, which is a T5. If you are curious, you can start it up, leave the TEST BRAKE LIGHTS message on, and see if you can get cruise to work.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting!
What I wanted to know is not the difference with SID1 and SID2, but whether a 2003 SID2 can do more than a 1999 SID2, since they have different hardware and software versions, etc. I don鈥檛 notice it, but maybe some things are different when plugging both into Tech2. Anyway, that does not matter so much anyway. The only thing that is unfortunate that openSID cannot be enabled on T5 cars, regardless of the SID-type, version and date.

The 2003 SID2 is of course from a T7 9-3OG and is in my car currently. I have the original 9-3OG SID2 from my T5 1999 car but that one is currently being repaired.
I will test it out if cruise control works how the cruise control works with a SID2 from 2003 without 鈥榯est brake lights鈥 on my T5 Saab. Good observation, Ed! Some people on the Dutch forums wondered why there was no 鈥榯est brake lights鈥 and thought they lost an important safety feature, but apparently with later SID鈥檚 the 鈥榯est brake lights鈥 is programmed differently.

The more I know, the more questions I have, haha! What would happen if you disable 鈥榗heck brake lights鈥 on older SID鈥檚 like my original SID2 from 1999?
Would it check it the same way as newer SID鈥檚 or would it not be capable/programmed to check the brake lights anymore?

Will check later, and put the result as an edit of this post.

Registered
There used to be the occasional post on here from someone who thought that their manual transmission NG900 or 9-3 just said "test brake lights" for the first time ever, despite them having owned the car for months or years. With manuals, you can go ages without ever seeing that message, since most people will start a manual transmission car with their foot on the brake, which will prevent the message from ever appearing. Saab must have figured out some way to always have the brake light active, because my 9-5 doesn't even have an option to display "test brake lights" at startup, as far as I know, but the brake light bulb check definitely works. It's detected a burned out bulb once or twice.

Registered
CHECK BRAKE LIGHTS
Interesting!
What I wanted to know is not the difference with SID1 and SID2, but whether a 2003 SID2 can do more than a 1999 SID2, since they have different hardware and software versions, etc. I don鈥檛 notice it, but maybe some things are different when plugging both into Tech2. Anyway, that does not matter so much anyway. The only thing that is unfortunate that openSID cannot be enabled on T5 cars, regardless of the SID-type, version and date.
As far as I know, no. Functionality is same between different years i) of the same type of SID; ii) with same Tech II programming

The more I know, the more questions I have, haha! What would happen if you disable 鈥榗heck brake lights鈥 on older SID鈥檚 like my original SID2 from 1999?
Would it check it the same way as newer SID鈥檚 or would it not be capable/programmed to check the brake lights anymore?
Well, you get no message. I expect that the cruise functionality will work the same.

There used to be the occasional post on here from someone who thought that their manual transmission NG900 or 9-3 just said "test brake lights" for the first time ever, despite them having owned the car for months or years. With manuals, you can go ages without ever seeing that message, since most people will start a manual transmission car with their foot on the brake, which will prevent the message from ever appearing. Saab must have figured out some way to always have the brake light active, because my 9-5 doesn't even have an option to display "test brake lights" at startup, as far as I know, but the brake light bulb check definitely works. It's detected a burned out bulb once or twice.
My 2003 9-5, like I wrote above, does not ask for the test. However, the cruise would not work until I touched the brake lights. Remember, the test is probably not for the bulbs, it's for the functioning of the brake light switch.

And like I wronte, on my NG900 cruise worked whether I had satisfied the brake light check or not.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Small update: with the original SID2 I could turn on cruise control despite it saying 鈥榯est brake lights鈥. With the newer SID2 I could also turn on cruise control without tapping the brake. Perhaps the newer SID2 came from a cabriolet with no cruise control? I might not have tested it correctly, because I stood on a parking lot and did not drive. I just restarted my engine with the different SID鈥檚.

Anyway, does not matter anymore, because my original SID2 is now repaired so I鈥檒l keep using this one.

What a beauty.

Registered
This show that older Saabs could engage cruise whether or not the brake pedal has been applied since startup. This is despite statements in the Owner's Manuals. However, you may have to do the test while the car is actually moving at a speed which would allow cruise control. Sometimes I would try to see how far I could go in my 900 with TEST BRAKE LIGHTS on the SID. One time I made it to the highway, where I might not need to use the brakes for an hour or two. So I tapped the brakes to make the light and message go away.

Like I said, my 9-5 doesn't do TEST BRAKE LIGHTS, but it won't allow cruise unless the brake is tapped. It also does not tell you why cruise isn't working, it just doesn't work.

As I recall, NG9-3 will ask you to tap the brakes if you want to engage the cruise. I will check this when I remember and get a chance....

Finally, I think the TEST BRAKE LIGHTS message was taken away from all SIDs via programming some time around 2000. However the message can still be enabled via programming, e.g. it's a possibility in my 9-5 with 2003 SID.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts