SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soo this is my first post here, I picked up my 2005 Saab 9-5 about 8 months ago, and am loving it!

Its got 98,000km on it and i took it in to the local saab dealer for an oil change on Saturday. The old dealer ship is closing down and the service department had transferred across the street to the Chevrolet dealer ship. He assured me that I would be getting the same service as a normally would have and even told me I would be getting Mobil 1 oil as recommended by GM. I gave him the keys and left for a bit. After I paid and took my car home I realized they put in normal oil.

I called him back to speak to him and ask if they used mobil 1, only got a voicemail. I decided to just head back over and have him check it. When he saw the receipt he asked the guy who changed the oil, and it turns out he didn’t use Mobil 1.

He immediately switched it out and put in the Mobil 1.

He actually phoned me back today (returning the voicemail I left him - and had no idea that it was me) I asked him if he had changed out my oil filter when they changed out the oil (which he said they did not) and also let him know this wouldn’t be the last he would be hearing from me.

My question to you guys is, is this a pretty serious problem? I mean I've always taken good car of my car since I’ve had it (premium gas, synthetic oil changes every 10,000km, ect) – and now they’ve contaminated it. What are some things that non synthetic oil do to my engine? What can be done to fix or clean my contaminated engine?

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
with so few km's on the oil change, i'd think that not changing the filter would not be a big deal. whether or not you want to prove a point is another matter, but if you were worried about it start doing your own oil changes and shorten the interval of this batch in your sump.
cheers
cb

·
Banned
1,042 Posts
Not a big problem but a new receipt should be made or a call to 1-800 Chevrolet for bad service is needed or at least the threat to the dealership manager. They have synthetic for the Corvette, you car requires it too as your making more power per engine displacement than the Vette.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If you don't want to change your own oil, buy the oil first and bring it down to a jiffylube or valvoline oil change station and have them do it. Never go to a dealership for any kind of work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wouldn't worry unless they did the likes of putting 2 stroke in instead of proper motor oil.

I know in the manual (well mine at least) it says it can run on most oil types that are semi synthetic so if it says that?

Just swap it out and should be fine, any contaminants will be picked up by the filter.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
You also may want to consider a couple of things ...

1) Join The Saab Club of Canada
2) switch your service to Aktive Motors in Oakville

But I don't think you will have any problems with the oil filter ... it should be just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I normally do take it to active motors! just that i needed my oil changed and they couldn't take me when I needed it done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts