SaabCentral Forums banner
161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Thank you.

I'll be out there again this weekend. I have to replace a few things on the front suspension.

The front axle is only sitting about 3" below the frame rails, and that is without a body, or engine, or anything in there. I stood on the frame and the axle was only about 1" from the rails. So there is literally no suspension travel left the way I set it up.

I did some research, come to find out that the spring behind front axle I bought is used when you want to get really low and don't have frame rails above the axle, like in a suicide front suspension setup.

So I bought a spring over front axle. The spring will now get mounted above the axle instead of behind it. This will raise the front end 3". Then to offset this a little, I got a new front leaf spring that has reverse eyes, meaning the mounting points are on the spring instead of under. This will lower the suspension 1".

So I will have 3" of suspension travel.

I'll post up pics when I do the work, showing the difference in parts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Progress?
This summer has been a hot one. And I am in the middle of gutting my basement. So progress has been very very slow lately.

I started the small Z in the back of the frame.

Cut the rear portion of the frame off.
20180609_144254 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Welded on the 3" step up.
20180609_162343 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20180609_162338 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20180609_201056 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Then I ran out of gas for the welder.

Next I will be welding the rear part of the frame back on to the new 3" higher kickup. Then I have to box in the bottom kinda like I did on the top, with 2 gussets on each side and a plate to fill it in.

Also, I got a better axle and spring setup for the front end. A Super Bell I Beam axle and beefier spring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Finally had a chance to get out in the garage and make a little bit of progress.

The front suspension is now completely reassembled with the upgraded parts I bought. The first time I built the front suspension, I used a T Bucket style tube axle, and smaller spring thinking that it would be better since I am not using a V8. Turns out that suspension is really designed for suicide mount instead of under the frame, traditional style, like I am doing. So I sent the parts back and got a Super Bell I-Beam front axle and Model A spring.

20180901_151329 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20180901_151342 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Then I get the back part of the frame tacked back on. I need to go back and do final welding and put lower gussets on though.

20180901_170034 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

And then since the chassis was all back together, I rolled the rear axle under it to see how it would sit.

20180901_172223 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20180901_172236 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20180901_172252 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Yes, my garage is filthy. It is impossible to keep the floor clean. The next garage is super close and the proximity of the two buildings creates this wind vortex in my driveway. Everything in my driveway gets blown into my garage.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
I'm bored at work and all of the sudden I felt the urge to bump this thread back up from the 5th page.

I have not made much progress on this in the past year. I had house projects to take care of, and then this past June I had brain surgery to remove a tumor.

I am back to normal, but the recovery time left me idle long enough that I am still working on restoring energy and stamina.

I hope to start working on this project again this fall, or next spring.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Glad to hear you're on the mend, and glad this is still moving forwards!

I'm exciting to see it run, even if it's only virtually. ;)

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Get to work Slacker!! I was so excited to open this thread only to wah-wah. :(

I totally get it though, I’m right there with you. I have a 944 turbo that ran and still sat for a year before I got into it. Still not driving it!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
I took last year off from this project. Two main reasons. First, I live in Minnesota and don't have heat in my garage, so I can only work out there 7 months out of the year, tops. And second, I had surgery to have a brain tumor removed, and that pretty much knocked me out for the summer.

Well, it's finally warming up, and I got the itch to make progress this year. So I went out in the shop to practice some welding, because I am working on the frame. No matter what settings I chose, I could not get my welder to stop crackling, poping, and welding like ****.

So I invited a welder friend of mine over. Even he couldn't get my welder to work right. Then he asked me how old the wire was. I said "3 years old. Why?"

Theres your problem right there. The wire is probably rusty and that makes a huge difference.

So I replaced the wire. And while I was in there I noticed the polarity was backwards. It was set for flux core wire, and I am using solid core wire. I swapped the polarity, and with the new wire, this thing welds like a dream.

Now on to the progress.......

Upper part of the notch done. The upper notch work was all done before I fixed the welder.
20200411_180231_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20200411_180246 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Lower gussets getting welded on
20200411_205431_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

And fish plates added for extra strength
20200424_200208_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20200424_200523_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20200424_201114 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

The welds still are not pretty, but they are penetrating like they should, and will do the job.

I have completed the frame notching process now. Next I am going to build a table to get the rear axle off the ground and up on some stands so I can work on it. The axle work will kick off by removing all the brackets that are on it from the factory application. Then I will weld on the brackets I need for the hot rod suspension.

I'm excited to make progress on this again.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is that a Hobart Handler 120? I wish I had a few grand to drop into a Miller. My rebuilt Hobart and lack of experience leaves me with a lot of grinding. lol

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Is that a Hobart Handler 120? I wish I had a few grand to drop into a Miller. My rebuilt Hobart and lack of experience leaves me with a lot of grinding. lol
You don't need a fancy welder. My buddy builds hot rods and restores cars for a living, and he uses a Hobart 140 MIG welder that costs less than a grand.

My garage has a 220V circuit, so I picked up the Hobart 190. It is the most basic 220V MIG welder that Hobart sells. And it is powerful enough to handle 5/16" thick material in one pas, which is more than I'll need. The frame on this hot rod is 7GA which is about 3/16". I'll be using 1/4" plate for some of the suspension mounting tabs, and the motor mounts.

So I really don't need any more welder. I just need to make sure it is setup right next time. haha

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
You don't need a fancy welder. My buddy builds hot rods and restores cars for a living, and he uses a Hobart 140 MIG welder that costs less than a grand.

My garage has a 220V circuit, so I picked up the Hobart 190. It is the most basic 220V MIG welder that Hobart sells. And it is powerful enough to handle 5/16" thick material in one pas, which is more than I'll need. The frame on this hot rod is 7GA which is about 3/16". I'll be using 1/4" plate for some of the suspension mounting tabs, and the motor mounts.

So I really don't need any more welder. I just need to make sure it is setup right next time. haha
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a lot to learn still with both of my MIG machines. I wired up a 220V outlet for my AHP AlphaTIG 200 but this old Handler 120 is 120V. It handled the 1/8" 4130 OK but 120A is not enough for 1/4". I also have a cheap flux-core eBay 130A MIG that works OK for rusty mending. I'll be using that on the jack point reattachments. I'd like to eventually find a suit case MIG that will plug into my TIG.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Next up I got my hands on a cast iron table top to make a welding table out of. I wanted to build up a table like this so I could get the rear axle up off the floor in order to more easily cut off all the suspension brackets.

Here are the legs, made out of 2.5" square tubing
20200526_184729 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Legs all welded together and casters welded on.
20200528_202604 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Top hoisted on and ready to use.
20200709_182359 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
I didn't grab a finished pic, but here is an in process pic from cutting all the brackets off of the 8.8" Ford rear end.

20200528_214624 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

I am now ready to lay out the rear suspension. And I am probably a weekend away from a rolling chassis. The big problem is we are now prepping our house to sell. So My efforts need to go towards that for now. I don't know for sure when I'll get back to this.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Big progress this weekend! The hot rod now has a complete rolling frame. It is currently just tack welded together, but it is complete and rolling. WOOOO

At this point, we located the axle left to right, and did some cross measurements to make sure it was square, and where I wanted it front to back. And then started test fitting the hairpins.
20201011_125548_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_125557_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Here, both hairpin mounts are tacked to the frame. We started making sure the hairpins were the same length (they are adjustable), double checked the axle location, and then started locating the axle brackets.
20201011_132643 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_132643 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_132702_HDR by Chad Truss, on Flickr

After that, tacked the hairpin brackets to the axle. And then mounted the panhard bar.
20201011_141522 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_141531 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Then weld on the coilover mounts.
20201011_165605 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Rear suspension laid out.
20201011_165614 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Put tires on and see how it sits.
20201011_170843 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_170834 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_170823 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

20201011_170818 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Progress will probably little to none for the next few months. I am moving next month, so I have work to do on the current house. I have to pack. And then the new house still needs a 220V circuit added to the garage for my welder. Plus it gets stupid cold here and I'm not sure how well insulated the new garage is.

So we will see.

161 - 180 of 214 Posts