SaabCentral Forums banner
201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Apparently you missed the part where I said the B234 was free. That price tag far outweighs saving a couple pounds and losing 300cc.
Free is good until it ends up costing you more than the non-free options at the time. In this case, it's win-win.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
As I get closer to positioning the engine in the frame and making motor mounts, I wonder how I am going to solve the intake manifold issue.

On the B234 engine, the throttle body end of the intake manifold is on the flywheel end of the engine. This means in longitudinal, RWD position, the throttle body is basically in the firewall. I can't weld aluminum. And I am not looking forward to hacking up the intake manifold.

I have made some Saab friends all around the world because of social media. And we all do a Whatsapp chat. I asked them if they knew anything about different manifolds, or anyone that has made one. They said to use the 2.0T manifold from an ng900. They bolt on to this head, no problems.

I found one in a scrap yard not too far away. Went and looked, and sure enough it will fit. And the throttle body sits on the middle of the intake on this setup. So now my intake will clear the firewall.

PXL_20210831_165926437 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Then here are some photos of the Getrag adapter kit. This is the funniest looking flywheel I have ever seen.

PXL_20210901_011126238 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

PXL_20210901_011137337 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

And here is the adapter plate.

PXL_20210901_011202826 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

Hopefully I'll get out there and work on it some more soon. Next steps are to finish grinding the primer off of the frame, reassemble the chassis, then put the motor and trans together. After that I make motor mounts.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Made a teeny bit of progress over the past weekend.

I took the T5 transmission off of the engine, mounted up the adaptor plate, and then test fit the BMW Getrag transmission. There is no flywheel or clutch in the middle because I couldn't get the pilot bearing out. I will look into that later. Because now that the transmission and engine are together I can make engine and transmission mounts.

As you can see in the photos, the adaptor plate has many unused holes around the bottom half. I am assuming it is because this adaptor fits like 4 or 5 different Saab engines. But the weird thing that I didn't catch until I went to go put the transmission on there is that the Saab engine has the starter on the wrong side. The bump for the starter on the transmission is on the opposite side. No huge deal though, I can grind a notch out of the bellhousing to make room for the starter snout.

And the pics......
PXL_20211009_215039758.MP by Chad Truss, on Flickr

PXL_20211009_215045785 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

PXL_20211011_120023349 by Chad Truss, on Flickr

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
As you can see in the photos, the adaptor plate has many unused holes around the bottom half. I am assuming it is because this adaptor fits like 4 or 5 different Saab engines.
This seems weird... there aren't four or five different Saab engines... there is essentially one - the B2x4/2x5 inline four.

There's three other GM motors that were fit into Saabs - the 54 Degree V6 (B258/B308), the High Feature V6 (B284), and the Ecotec I4 (B207). I think the B207 and B284 share a bolt pattern. I don't know about the B258/B308... nobody uses that motor for anything except a boat anchor. But, I'd guess it uses the same bolt pattern as one of the other two. GM only had a couple FWD bolt patterns back then.

Is it possible it's the opposite? That the adapter is for a few different BMW transmissions? Maybe one that has the starter in the right place?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
This seems weird... there aren't four or five different Saab engines... there is essentially one - the B2x4/2x5 inline four.

There's three other GM motors that were fit into Saabs - the 54 Degree V6 (B258/B308), the High Feature V6 (B284), and the Ecotec I4 (B207). I think the B207 and B284 share a bolt pattern. I don't know about the B258/B308... nobody uses that motor for anything except a boat anchor. But, I'd guess it uses the same bolt pattern as one of the other two. GM only had a couple FWD bolt patterns back then.

Is it possible it's the opposite? That the adapter is for a few different BMW transmissions? Maybe one that has the starter in the right place?
I'm not saying the adaptor is wrong for the engine. I am saying that they didn't account for my transmission, or I have the wrong transmission.

But at the same time there are a couple holes that are meant for the engine side, that my engine does not have.

So it will work, but it is goofy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·

And the website says the adaptor is for SAAB H B204 B205 B234 B235 Thats where I got 4 engines from. I didn't realize they were all the same bolt pattern.

All I know is there are two mounting holes for the engine side of the adaptor that don't have a home. So I assumed there was another engine bolt pattern this thing works on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #214 ·
Where does the starter go on the BMW? Or is there a whole bell housing/adapter/etc. which is jettisoned?
The bump to make room for the starter on the transmission is on the opposite side. Kind of just below where the chain is on that pic.

201 - 214 of 214 Posts