1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
531 Posts
The other three recalls announced by GM affect a total of 65,121 cars in the United States, none of which have been linked to crashes or injuries:

—28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for a cable in the driver's side seat belt tensioner that could break.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/gm-recalls-all-modern-camaros-for-ignitions-you-can-switch-off-with-your-knee-134054747.html

OMG!! I'M SO ELATED!! Fricked jerry rigged my broken driver belt with spare parts (see my past posts) and even called GM to get it fixed. They flat out refused. Now it appears they'll fix it. Where do I take it??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
531 Posts
For anyone else needing to call them its:

Saab Cars North America Customer assistance (1-800-955-9007)

Their hours of operation are 9:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, Monday through Friday.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Here is more info on the recall:

28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.

I'm going to try to have them replace both my belts. That would be great!

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
OMG!! I'M SO ELATED!! Fricked jerry rigged my broken driver belt with spare parts (see my past posts) and even called GM to get it fixed. They flat out refused. Now it appears they'll fix it. Where do I take it??

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Typical GM: Deny everything until forced to recall.

Any GM dealer is obligated to help you, but I'd shoot for a Caddy dealer.

·
Registered
636 Posts
GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles.
Is this accurate? It says it's a different system but they're doing that anyway?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is more info on the recall:

28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.

I'm going to try to have them replace both my belts. That would be great!
Yep, Im scheduled to do the 60K service on mine and gonna have them do both at the same time. Hope they dont give me crap, but, thanks for posting the 800 number, gonna call em.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Typical GM: Deny everything until forced to recall.

Any GM dealer is obligated to help you, but I'd shoot for a Caddy dealer.

I do not believe that is correct Bob. You will have to go to one of Saab's Official Service Centers and unfortunately not all of them can do warranty work unless approved by GM but the majority can. So you must go to one that will do warranty to get your belts fixed. GM contracted with SAAB Parts to admin their warranty like 2 years ago so that's the way it will go down. The only GM dealer that could help is if they are a dual dealer with one of the old Saab Dealers, now called Saab OSC's.(Official Service Centers)

·
Registered
17,945 Posts
Are you sure SPG? My understanding is that as part of the GM / USA buyout that GM has to honor all warranty claims attributable to the previous corporate entity - and of course safety recalls. Since Saab is officially out of business, GM can't defer to them to do warranty work. That would be unfair to consumers since there are only a handful of dealers. I don't think they'd be able to get away with saying "sure we'll fix it, but you have to drive 400 miles to the nearest dealer". Federal warranty law isn't going to allow that and neither would state AG's.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Are you sure SPG? My understanding is that as part of the GM / USA buyout that GM has to honor all warranty claims attributable to the previous corporate entity - and of course safety recalls. Since Saab is officially out of business, GM can't defer to them to do warranty work. That would be unfair to consumers since there are only a handful of dealers. I don't think they'd be able to get away with saying "sure we'll fix it, but you have to drive 400 miles to the nearest dealer". Federal warranty law isn't going to allow that and neither would state AG's.

I'm positive and to help everyone understand I will explain. Saab Parts has approximately the same number of OSC's as Saab Cars USA had dealers, in relatively the same but not all locations. So the expectation of driving 400 miles is not the normal situation that the general population will find themselves in. Federal laws aside how many untrained Cadillac technicians or their stores are going to shoulder the responsibilty of performing this recall. Will there be exceptions to both of these issues? I'm sure there will be as GM scrambles to protect its rear end. But the majority will be sent to Saab Trained Official Service Centers (OSC's) to have the work performed. This has nothing to do with GM's/USA buyout it was part of the contract with Saab Cars and GM

·
Registered
2004 9-3 Aero, 2008 9-3 Aero, 2009 2.0T XWD
774 Posts
So let me get this straight... I'm the second owner of My 9-3, I can take it to any former Saab dealership (or official service center) and say "Hey, you know that seatbelt recall? can you sort it out please?" or....?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So let me get this straight... I'm the second owner of My 9-3, I can take it to any former Saab dealership (or official service center) and say "Hey, you know that seatbelt recall? can you sort it out please?" or....?
Thats exactly what I did. The former saab dealer still services them. They were chevy/saab/hummer, now they are chevy/subaru/something else but still service saab/hummer/saturn/etc

·
Registered
427 Posts
As long as it's a formal saab dealer/service they should be able to provide warranty work.

I didn't even know about it, they advised me that work was done when I picked up the car.

It was orignally in for broken coil springs which was also covered by warranty.

·
Registered
2004 9-3 Aero, 2008 9-3 Aero, 2009 2.0T XWD
774 Posts
Thats exactly what I did. The former saab dealer still services them. They were chevy/saab/hummer, now they are chevy/subaru/something else but still service saab/hummer/saturn/etc

So I just call em up and set a schedule and it's done free of charge?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my seatbelt actually break. GM Australia has taken my car and given me a new Holden Cruze to drive around. I have been told it could be a 6 month wait. Is this true? Can anyone give me any information? GM have been really good but I really want my Saab back!

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
I had my seatbelt actually break. GM Australia has taken my car and given me a new Holden Cruze to drive around. I have been told it could be a 6 month wait. Is this true? Can anyone give me any information? GM have been really good but I really want my Saab back!
This is the latest info about this I am aware of. Don't know how this translates to Australia...

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408370

1 - 20 of 24 Posts