SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 98 900s auto has an aftermarket radio/cd (single din) and I would like to fit a saab unit, I was going to buy one off ebay but noticed questions about the units being "divorced" from the original car. from what I can gather the unit has to be electronically "divorced" form the original car then "married" to the next one! is this true?

if so how difficult is it to do?

I don't want to buy a unit that won't work, any ideas?

the aftermarket unit does not dim at night when the lights are which is abit of a nuisance cos of the glare, any ideas?

oh and has anyone got a saab unit to sell (I'm in the uk)

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
900 Head units do not need to be divorced. The 9-3's however do. 9-3 and 900 Head units are not interchangeable! Ensure that the 900 Head unit that you are interested in has the correct 4 digit code from the seller, that you enter on first install into your vehicle, and retain that number, for occasions when the battery is disconnected.

Try e-bay for 900 Head Units. They come up regularly.

HTH

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
radio amplifier?

saw a radio advertised with an amplifier, does it need this? if so where does it go? and will it work without it?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Stock head has an integral amplifier with it :D , IIRC, which is capable of handling all four speakers. Although at first look they look similar, the 9-3 head unit has CD slot and capablility, which the 900 does not (except when attached to a Clarion 6 CD changer).

HTH

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
veralum said:
saw a radio advertised with an amplifier, does it need this? if so where does it go? and will it work without it?
What you may be seeing is the head unit being sold with the OPTIONAL amplifier, which is a separate unit that powers the door speakers (when equipped for speakers in the door). Our stock 'S' models only have speakers in the dash and towards the boot, so unless you want to do a little wiring, their is no need for that optional amplifier.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
veralum said:
the aftermarket unit does not dim at night when the lights are which is abit of a nuisance cos of the glare, any ideas?
If you like all of the extra features on aftermarket head units, you can find some with dimmers. Some Sony models have their own light sensor and dim automatically, and Becker units hook up to the dimmer wire and flip their displays from positive (black text, backlit background) to negative (backlit text, black background) when the headlights are turned on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
most units I've come across have an extr wire which is connected to the cars dashboard lights so they dim when the lights come on but as I have no diagram or even code for this unit i am loathe to try sorting it out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts