SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a saab 93 aero sprots sedan. I am not sure though, I have a couple of questions maybe everyone can answer for me..Is Saab a good performer? Maybe some adavantages and disadvantages of saab? Is parts really expensive? I would just like some info on saab and maybe everyone can help me make a good choice! Thanks!!!!:confused:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just buy one (leasing) and I'm enjoying the car.

Saab is a good name is a good car, but I'm not sure about service parts. I believe it's not cheap since this vehicle components are mostly european (considering you are in USA) you would need to pay for these imported components.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tune up and maintence parts are available fairly easily and getting better. I understand that there can be a wait for other parts. Even the domestic brands have problems with availability. I once waited a month for a carbureator for a domestic pickup. My linear with a manual has excellent mid range and fuel economy. If you are looking for a stop light burner, I don't think it will be your answer. If you are looking for performance on a gut-twisty road, consider a SAAB.

·
Banned
209 Posts
jason1245 said:
I am thinking about buying a saab 93 aero sprots sedan. I am not sure though, I have a couple of questions maybe everyone can answer for me..Is Saab a good performer?
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57744

^About the performance, theres a link in there also to the car and driver article, i think page 3 or so.

Saabs can be alright cars, IF i was ever to get one again i would deff. go with leasing.

-You can get low monthly payments
-all the service is taken care of, even most of the expensive oil changes
-if it goes to the shop you usually get a loaner
-you dont have to worry about owning a car after it goes out of warrenty
-you dont have to worry aout trying to sell the car, esp sine they have absoluty horrible resale and people are very warry of buying a used one, as they should be. It isnt a honda.
-On the same note you wont be upside down in your loan for 10k or more 6 months after you buy the car. AKA...owing 30k on the loan and the car only being worth 18k

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
jason1245 said:
Is parts really expensive?
I'll take this one.
Yes. :cry:

However, this is my first Saab, and I haven't bought a lot of parts for my other cars. All the little fiddly parts that are worth like $0.50 end up costing like $8.00. And you usually have to use real Saab parts instead of pickup up something from Autozone.

While I can understand the cost hike (many parts are made in Sweden & have to get here, dealer markup, saab markup, supplier markup, low demand, etc) I'm not happy.

On the upside, parts are made well, and the car is put together well from an engineering standpoint (things come off & go back on pretty logically). Squaks & rattles are a topic for another time.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
rugbybrado said:
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57744
-you dont have to worry about owning a car after it goes out of warrenty
-you dont have to worry aout trying to sell the car, esp sine they have absoluty horrible resale and people are very warry of buying a used one, as they should be. It isnt a honda.
Your cluelessness amazes. Ever hear of the Honda Odyssey transmission problems? Drivers reporting tranny failures at 12,000 miles or less. Complete recall and replacement of defective units. (I own a 02 Odyssey)

Ever hear of CPO (certified pre-owned)? Extended warranties?

Ever try to mod a leased car?

...and the "horrible" resale value doesn't matter if you intend to own the car for a long time. Each of my pre-owned Saabs has been driven over 150,000 miles.

·
Banned
209 Posts
If you want to own a saab out of warrenty, have fun with that. I did for awhile and as viscouse said earlier even the littlest parts on it are really expensive. Your tone will change after you start eating cost of 500 dollar parts, while still making car payments.

This wasnt even one of my more out there post either. :roll:

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Each of the five Saabs I've owned was bought used with more than 50,000 miles. Each has gone over 150,000 miles (one had 230K on the odometer). Each was bought with cash.

The parts themselves are not the major cost of repairs. Labor is. Most dealers charge $80-$100 an hour. Most indies are not far behind.

Learn to do some simple maintenence and repairs, and you considerably lower the cost of ownership. Learn a little more and you can do your own power modifications.

If you're reasonably smart and maintain your car, you can expect it to last for a while. At this year's Saab Owners Convention, I met a guy with an 89 C900 SPG with 960,000 miles. He drove an average of 300 miles a day but maintained his car dutifully.

·
Banned
209 Posts
mike saunders said:
Each of the five Saabs I've owned was bought used with more than 50,000 miles. Each has gone over 150,000 miles (one had 230K on the odometer). Each was bought with cash.

The parts themselves are not the major cost of repairs. Labor is. Most dealers charge $80-$100 an hour. Most indies are not far behind.

Youre compairign older model saabs with the current generation 9-3, they are COMPLETELY different cars. I do agree with you in that older saabs are KNOWN for there great reliability. They might of been ugly but they were great cars. The new 9-3 has killed saabs reputation as a dependable car, there reliability is among the lowest in the industry. With these beign completely different cars they arent like the old ones that you could work on yourself, besides the normal oil change, spark plugs, tire rotation. If you are even a owner of a 2003+ 9-3 and hav had to do any work on it at all you would've understood what i ment when i said it was expensive and hard to find parts. Call your dealer and see the list price for a new parking break(300 plus 2 hours labor), or a new xenon bulb and generator(500+). I wont even get into my motor work i had done that was 1500+, while waiting three weeks for parts from sweden.

Trust me, unless your some great mechanic the average person cannot do alot of there own work on these cars. Now throw in a couple of things liek your cd player stop working out of warrenty, besides beign on back order 600 dollars to get replaced, then to go along with al lthe "electrical gremlins" these cars have will eat up anyones bank account realy fast at 90+ per hour of labor plus parts.

But in the end do what you want, but from my experince the newest generaton 9-3 isnt the best car to purchase used and ou of factory warrenty.

·
Registered
418 Posts
FWIW: At the Saab Owners' Convention I talked with a master Saab tech who worked at a dealership -- his take on the 9-3 was that the 2005's were getting better -- a lot of the issues that had cropped in the '03's and '04's had been resolved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts