SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab Precision Build

6K views 42 replies 8 participants last post by  Atokad 
#1 ·
Here's a teaser for my Precision build. Updates to follow. Aiming for July!

Precision 6266 Gen 2 BB
Do88 IC
ID 750CC injectors
Walbro 255
AEM Water Meth injection
JE Forged pistons
ARP headstuds
B234 bottom end
Stage 3+ clutch
Lightened Flywheel
CSF drag radiator
SAS top mount tubular manifold
44mm Tial external wastegate
Recirculating HKS SSQV

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah I wanted to see how well a Saab could hold up to the power. I assume it's not going to want to drive in a straight line. Tired of seeing built STIs or Evos and wanted something different.

It has a stock 5 speed in it that was working perfectly fine. Wanted to spend the money elsewhere before getting an lsd. I'm sure i'll want one after the first pull, though.

#5 ·
Looks pretty good. Now is the time (July), so are there any progress updates?

According to research I did nearly 2 years ago, you can forget about water/alcohol injection, as Trionic apparently doesn’t play nice with it. Easier (and safer) to run E85.

Not a fan of the HKS SSQV. In fact, I hate them with a passion.

Are you migrating most of this stuff from another build?

Refreshing any of the valvetrain?

#6 ·
I've since got the charge pipe and yesterday I ordered all of the silicone hoses. Once I get that all hooked up I'll submit some more pictures. Should be early next week.

Still waiting to hear back from Mike D for a tune but it's been about a month. May have to take my time and do it myself.

Interesting about the Bov. What issues did you have? On a Saab or something else?

Didn't touch the valve train. I only got the head resurfaced and acid bathed. I looked at valve springs but wasn't convinced on the Volvo offerings.

Just want to make sure the thing runs after all the bottom end work before moving to the head.

#9 · (Edited)
Man I waited 2 months for the manifold to be made to fit this thing. It's a work of art. Had to get a new radiator too because it was in the way. I don't have any e85 stations near me. Closest is a two hour round trip. I have a race fuel station that has 100 octane about 5 miles away. I'm actually in Burlington CT and I think that station is near you by the shore.

I envy you. I wish I had that much time and money to sink into my SAAB
I could have spent the money on a car that everyone does or do something no one is crazy enough to do. So I did that! I'll be happy and that's just about all I care about.

Here's the album that I'll start putting the build pictures in https://erix920.imgbb.com

#11 ·
I'm actually in Old Saybrook at my beach house for the summer ( living in New Haven now)

THat turbo could outflow the AMM, thoughts on that? Porting the Throttle body as well?

It'll be a sick ride, I hope to meet up to see it when its all set
Hopefully I hit a traction/practicality limit before the maf limits are hit. I doubt I can tune for a bigger one. I can't imagine going over 500hp in this car anyway. I'll probably go for a big brake setup and new suspension before 400hp too.

I'll definitely take it to shows in the area so if you check those out I'll see you there!

#14 ·
Finished up routing the 3 inch intake into the fender. Had to cut some metal out but it fits and somehow the headlight does too.

Shop will be calling me this week to schedule welding for the down pipe. I have all the components on hand now.

I have to finish the turbo oil drain and run the hoses for the wastegate + boost controller then I'm ready!

#16 ·
Looking good! Have you ever considered Swain Tech coatings? Their “White Lightening” is really great and much more permanent than wraps. Given how tight your engine compartment is, coating + wrap would not be unrealistic... :)

#17 · (Edited)
I'd be interested into looking at all options. If I could get the flex pipe coated that would be great. Right now it's directly below the oil pan as that is where fitment was the best.

Edit: Here's the 3d printed radiator mount.

Exhaust wrapped, radiator moved, turbo blanket on, bov vac line, o2s installed, radiator mounts installed

#19 ·
It runs! I'll get a video of it this week.

Much louder with the new tubular manifold, high flow cat and larger turbo. Afr is around 10 right now with the stage 3 tune that used stock injectors. Idle is pretty bad until it warms up. Should have the tuner on Tuesday where I can at least fix the injectors and drop the boost request to base boost. After it's broken in I'll do the WOT runs to get the real tune done.

#20 ·
Looking good! When you hitting the dyno?

#23 · (Edited)
The quality is top notch. It took a long time for it to come in, though. They said they were very busy so I'm not sure if that's all the time or if I just picked a bad time of year.

The clearance is tight but the way they have the collector angled the turbo sits perfectly between the front of the engine bay and the cylinder head. My compressor housing of the turbo was hitting the radiator so I had to do all that custom stuff but the manifold itself was perfect.

Also, I took off the balance shaft chain and tensioner and put on blocking plate. When the car idles there is no perceivable vibration. Does the vibration start at a certain RPM or something? Engine revs much quicker than before with that removed and the alum flywheel.

#25 ·
I don't have any bracing added right now. The downpipe has support that pushes up a bit at the vband so at least that isn't hanging off the turbo.

I'll have to get something fabbed up to support under the collector. Nothing to bolt a support to on these manifolds though.

For the radiator mounts I reused the holes that are for the stock radiator. May be a better way but it worked great for me. Removing the radiator frees up a lot of room. I'll post here when I get the car tuned and driving with the csf drag radiator. That fits real nice just not sure how it will be while sitting at a light or in traffic.

#26 ·
For sure post how the radiator does once you get running. I'd like to keep mine dailiable-ish still so I'd like to not overheat sitting in traffic. Wondering if it can survive on a half-radiator or just run a full sized and mounting it further towards the front of the car.

#27 ·
Also another thing to note is that I have all exhaust related parts wrapped in my engine bay. I let it idle for 10 minutes after I tuned for the injectors and the only thing I couldn't touch was the CHRA since that's not wrapped. May want to do the same if you go the smaller radiator route.

#33 ·
If you think that’s expensive, then you might not want to dig into a big turbo/forged rotating assembly kind of build...! Trust me, it gets much worse...

#34 ·
Oh trust me, this project's not going to be cheap... I've been adding up numbers for the past few weeks! I was joking about it being expensive since you're talking about ceramic coating, then cerakoting on top. Most people will either ceramic coat and not care about the color, or just use cerakote alone to bring temps down since it does a pretty good job of it.

#36 ·
Well running the aftermarket fan doesn't work until 113C. Have to see if I have to run the two fan wires together and pull out the high speed relay in order to get this thing running at 99C.

The single fan wasn't really bringing the temp down much when idling either. Was bouncing between 112 and 115. Might have to add another fan.

#37 ·
Do you happen to have a link to what radiator you're using? Curious to see the size compared to what I'm thinking about. Hearing how hot it's running is kind of making me worry since I was hoping to run a compact rad.

Also hyped to see some dyno numbers whenever you manage! I've been looking at getting a 6266, just realized that's exactly what you're running. My goal is 600whp on E85 but we'll see. Curious on how well such a big turbo spools on the little ol' 2.3, if it does good I might go journal bearing to save the ridiculous cost of DBB.

#38 ·
Unfortunately the intake cam was off time and two valves broke off in cylinder 1 destroying the piston and marking the other 3 along with killing the head. Im in the process of getting a single new one and have them all machined with a slight valve cutout. Otherwise I'll need a new set ?. Crazy that I hand cranked the motor with a socket and felt no resistance before putting it back in the car. Oh well, minor setback!

Here's the radiator http://csfrace.com/the-king-cooler

#39 ·
Quick update here. The head has been at the machine shop getting a mild valve job along with new valve stem seals and uprated springs. Block is going in today to get a 90.5mm overbore. Pistons are on their way and everything is now rust free and painted.

That is all ?

#40 ·
The car is up and running again. Will get some more pictures of the progress. Motor sounds great and is super responsive with the aluminum flywheel, balance shaft delete, AC delete and forged pistons. There is definitely a vibration with the balance shaft delete but it's hardly enough to make me consider hooking it back up.

The stage 3+ clutch still feels suspiciously light but it works perfectly fine.

#41 ·
Nice! Going on the dyno this spring?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.