SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm from Minneapolis but moved to Sioux Falls about a year and a half ago. I brought my 2004 9-3 Arc with me. I sold insurance here for a while. I turns out my boss is also a Saab addict. He started with a 2001 9-5. After riding in my car he decided it was time to go more modern and just bought a lightly-used 2007 9-3 2.0T. We are like the South Dakota Saab brothers ;)

Are there any other South Dakota Saab people here? I know there is at least one North Dakota Saab guy here somewhere... The reason I ask is that there doesn't seem to be a Saab Owners Club in South Dakota. Minnesota has a pretty strong one and if it is truly missing I'd love to organize something here in the prairie.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I'm from Minneapolis but moved to Sioux Falls about a year and a half ago. I brought my 2004 9-3 Arc with me. I sold insurance here for a while. I turns out my boss is also a Saab addict. He started with a 2001 9-5. After riding in my car he decided it was time to go more modern and just bought a lightly-used 2007 9-3 2.0T. We are like the South Dakota Saab brothers ;)

Are there any other South Dakota Saab people here? I know there is at least one North Dakota Saab guy here somewhere... The reason I ask is that there doesn't seem to be a Saab Owners Club in South Dakota. Minnesota has a pretty strong one and if it is truly missing I'd love to organize something here in the prairie.
I don't remember seeing a single European car in North Dakota while I was there last week. I've heard that Volvo is relatively common in SD though you're probably the first member I've seen from SD. I did talk to a Volvo guy on one of my Volvo forums from SD.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Of course Sioux Falls is not really in South Dakota. It's an island surrounded by SD. Pierre is SD, or Winner or even Deadwood, but not SF. Ever have luch in Minerva's downtown? Pretty nice place and it is the only good food between SF and Seattle

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't remember seeing a single European car in North Dakota while I was there last week. I've heard that Volvo is relatively common in SD though you're probably the first member I've seen from SD. I did talk to a Volvo guy on one of my Volvo forums from SD.
Euro cars aren't as common in ND but they are there. Fargo has an Audi dealer and a VW dealer. My dad had a case against a lawyer in Fargo who races BMWs and himself drives an M3; he goes to Minneapolis for service. I know a couple in Grand Forks with a BMW X5 but they end up just bringing to Minneapolis if it needs work. About 3 years ago I was driving from Grand Forks to Minneapolis and on I-29 drove alongside a 9-3 with ND plates; I waved at him, I mean, who else has a Saab in ND, but he looked kind of puzzled and drove off ;)

There are quite a few Saabs here in Sioux Falls. Crazy enough I see a bunch of fairly new 9-5s and even 9-3s around here. One day I was driving down the road and a bunch of younger guys in a 9-3 Aero waved at me simply because I was another Saab driver! I was in Rapid City earlier last year and I saw a couple of 9-3s, one in downtown Rapid City and one getting off the highway in Spearfish (it even had Wyoming plates). I was also amazed at how many late model BMWs I saw in Rapid City, especially considering the nearest dealers are in Sioux Falls or Denver, both 5-6 hr drive.

We actually have many of the import marques here in Sioux Falls. We do have a Saab dealer (Graham Automotive, they also sell Audi, VW and Suzuki). Also in town are BMW, Mercedes and Acura. There is no Lexus dealer yet but I hear that one is in the works. There is no Volvo dealer in SD (nearest Volvo dealer to me in Sioux Falls would be Omaha followed by Minneapolis or Des Moines). I used to know an airline pilot who lived in Rapid City and we would talk cars. He told me that he had always wanted a BMW but that the nearest dealer was in Denver which is a 6 hr drive. So he bought a Toyota Avalon which is still a sharp car.

Of course Sioux Falls is not really in South Dakota. It's an island surrounded by SD. Pierre is SD, or Winner or even Deadwood, but not SF. Ever have luch in Minerva's downtown? Pretty nice place and it is the only good food between SF and Seattle
I will agree. Sioux Falls doesn't feel like a part of South Dakota. It really feels like a very distant suburb or outlying component of say Minneapolis/St. Paul. And it lies in a tri-state area. I live on the far east side of Sioux Falls and Iowa is just two miles away. It just feels like a large suburb. On the other hand small-town South Dakota is very charming, has fun (and affordable restaurants), knows how to cook a steak and is a lot of fun. Even if I go down to Canton (10-15 min drive) it is a different world. For my last job I spent a bunch of time in Huron and had a blast; we went to this steakhouse where they only had 4 items on the menu (all steak) and $3 margaritas and my bill for everything (including an obscene number of alcoholic beverages) was never more than like $15. I would go back to Huron just for that ;)

Minerva's was actually the first restaurant I ever ate at in Sioux Falls. When we came to town to check it out and see if this was a place we even wanted to be it was highly recommended by people we knew from here and by the hotel front desk. It was in June. I sat at the bar eating a steak, drinking a Summit and watching a Twins game, all for 1/2 the price the same meal would cost in downtown Minneapolis. I was sold! We still go back there from time to time and order the Steak Michael (cut it in half), an extra salad bar and a Manhattan. Crazy enough my neighbor 2 doors down was the manager of Minerva's for like 12 yrs then went on to start his own restaurant.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.