SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 9-3 Linear. Bought it for safety reasons only. Never really cared about racing or anything like that. My kid brother recently bought a stinking Passat. There's this rivalry between us. He recently put in a chip which upped his horsepower to 214hp and his torque to some ridiculous 247lb. My Saab just can't compete. It feels faster but in reality my fear is that I'll lose. Suddenly fine tuning my Saab is important. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want to lose to my bro.

Being a novice to cars and stuff, I called the local Saab dealer and their stance was that "We don't support anything like that - you'll need to buy aftermarket stuff".

How can I up my car's hp and torque to compete with my kid bro's Passat? Granted we are 30-something year old guys and probably should be mature enough to let this slide, but sibling rivalry and pride prevent me from shying away this time. How can I get faster (w/out risking damage to my car) and keep it somewhat affordable? HELP!

·
Registered
609 Posts
PPC as mentioned above, will be all you need. I would give you the nod with just a stage 1 upgrade. If you really want to trounce him, you might want to look at stage 3 and up!

However, I would think all you you would have to do is take some corners. Stock Passats have tons of understeer and the body roll is extreme... not a great combination for driving in the twisties.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
passat

Again - I'm a novice so I may be saying smoething that doesn't make sense but I think in reply to your last comment, I'm wondering if this has any bearing - he did change his suspension too to a higher grade one. Damn the Passat!

Will definitely call the place when I get home (can't make Int'l calls from work).

-me

·
Registered
102 Posts
black_linear said:
PPC as mentioned above, will be all you need.
I second that. The performance gain is quite significant. I have driven over 14000 km with BSR stage 1 with no problems whatsoever. I frequently drive (stock of course) rental Passats and A4s on business trips. Nothing makes me more homesick. I almost miss my car more than I miss my wife and kids. Almost... ;)

·
Banned
209 Posts
buy a nissan maxima, or even better yet a I35. Some guy blew past me and got on the on ramp before me. I decided i was bored and was gonna try and keep up with him. Once he got onto the highway he was gone. There is no way i couldve ever caught up with him. I started off 10 feet behind him and within seconds he was a ATLEAST 1/4 - 1/2 a mile infront of me. I ended up letting it go by the time i finally reached about 100mph. Ive always been a fan of those cars, but i never thought they had as much speed as they do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts