SaabCentral Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quotes from NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/01/automobiles/01red.html [free registration required]
--------------------------
The Saab is a Democratic car, according to both CNW and Scarborough, which found that Saab owners were about twice as likely to be Democrats. It's an upscale car an affluent Democrat can drive without feeling guiltily ostentatious while also reveling in a different sort of status symbol, said the president of Scarborough, Bob Cohen.

"The Saab owner is not going after the obvious status symbol like a BMW," Mr. Cohen said. "He wants to make a statement that he's in a small group with specialized knowledge who don't go for a safe choice like BMW, because he can get a better deal with a Saab."

[...]

But car buyers are also responding to the political images that come with some cars. Some foreign car companies have marketed cars as environmentally friendly, and some have at times focused on parts of the Democratic base. Saab and Subaru were the first and most visible to aim advertising at gay drivers.

·
Registered
423 Posts
andante said:
From NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/01/automobiles/01red.html [free registration required]
The Saab is a Democratic car, according to both CNW and Scarborough, which found that Saab owners were about twice as likely to be Democrats. It's an upscale car an affluent Democrat can drive without feeling guiltily ostentatious while also reveling in a different sort of status symbol, said the president of Scarborough, Bob Cohen.

"The Saab owner is not going after the obvious status symbol like a BMW," Mr. Cohen said. "He wants to make a statement that he's in a small group with specialized knowledge who don't go for a safe choice like BMW, because he can get a better deal with a Saab."

[...]

But car buyers are also responding to the political images that come with some cars. Some foreign car companies have marketed cars as environmentally friendly, and some have at times focused on parts of the Democratic base. Saab and Subaru were the first and most visible to aim advertising at gay drivers.

Maybe I wasn't meant to drive a SAAB. I'm a straight as an arrow Republican...hmmmmmm :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
EVERY Saab owner I know is a conservative and usually votes republican. You obviously must be referring to Volvo drivers... you know the car with the matching Birkenstock pedal set and the front end aligned to pull left.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
midway said:
EVERY Saab owner I know is a conservative and usually votes republican. You obviously must be referring to Volvo drivers... you know the car with the matching Birkenstock pedal set and the front end aligned to pull left.
I am not saying these are my views - I am just quoting New York Times.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
jetman said:
Oh somebody please kill this thread!
PLEASE!!!!!! More likely than not its just going to get ugly...

·
Registered
256 Posts
cryptical said:
Maybe I wasn't meant to drive a SAAB. I'm a straight as an arrow Republican...hmmmmmm :confused:
Me too. I wonder if repulicans are more private and don't talk about who they vote for as much as democrats.

Dan

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
Given the nature of politics ... I have to agree that this one is best off being locked down ...

We don't need to start any sort of debate on that topic here.

Having said that, I will leave this open as long as it does not degrade into a political discussion ...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
SaabScott said:
Having said that, I will leave this open as long as it does not degrade into a political discussion ...
sorry but it started right there-

EVERY Saab owner I know is a conservative and usually votes republican.
I have observed the exact opposite behavior.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I think we can discuss the article according to its merits.

I don't think it is wise to taylor a product towards a specific sexually oriented group. I was appaulled to find out that America West Airlines was offering discounts to homosexuals, or at least, that is what I heard.

Now, I have nothing against a person's preference, but I find it that to offer discounts to specific groups of people is ludicrous. You either offer a discount to all people, or base it on how frequent a customer uses a product.

My two cents....this should keep in line with the T&C of this board.

Paul

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
WHO CARES WHAT ANYODY ELSE SAYS??!!!

Do you like the car or not? Why do you even give credence to any media opinion piece when it comes to your own decisions about what you drive?

Why does it always have to be black or white, Republican or Democrat, straight or gay, North or South?

Jeez. Lock the thread!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
man, thats a pretty rough stereotype...im as straight as a ruler and mostly conservative....so i dont know......

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I think it's funny that the NY times is claiming that Saabs have advertising aimed at gay people. Where is their source on that??? If anything, Saabs are aimed at young professionals that want to be individuals, that doesn't make you gay. Granted a homosexual may fall into that category, but way to pigeonhole the rest of us....

And people wonder why I dislike the NYT....

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
benji9k said:
I think it's funny that the NY times is claiming that Saabs have advertising aimed at gay people.
I thought it was Scarborough Research and CNW Marketing Research companies that came up with these statisitics, not the NY Times? Who knows and who cares what political affiliations Saab owner have, or what their sexual orientation is. I could have sworn that in articles I've seen before, Saabs were driven by sophisticated college professors. Statistically they might be able to state that twice as many democrats own the brand than republicans, many more owners out in the world than people on here.

"He wants to make a statement that he's in a small group with specialized knowledge who don't go for a safe choice like BMW, because he can get a better deal with a Saab."

What the hell does that mean? That quote calling me cheap or something? Yeah, I don't go for a 'safe choice like BMW' because I don't want one. And who is this 'he' that the author refers to? I could have sworn women buy Saabs too? Thats it, Bob Cohen, you're getting an angry letter.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Well, I'm pretty conservative and definately a heterosexual but I am independent :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think this is going to be locked... i'll reply anyhow.

<<< peace loving, straight, independent, activist, covered in tattoos and left. :cheesy:
... these things don't make me anti conservative people.

everyone I've ever met (in person) who's into SAAB mods was leftwing... and a lot of Kerry stickers are on GM SAABs around here.
I guess we are more likely to run into people similar to us because they are where we are, be it a parking lot of an independent record store or church, wal*mart or co-op (clearly exaggerating on both sides, you get the point). you see another SAAB, you say hi ...

I always saw SAABs as a car for free thinking, open minded people who know a good thing and want to break away from the norm, I thought it to be pretty liberal make.... but to be honest I'm glad there is diversity here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.