SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, I have a 2004 Saab with Kenwood sat nav, but the display stopped working.

Do you know if when I buy an old Saab radio without navigation, the CD changer in the trunk will work for me? And will the volume buttons on the steering wheel work?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The Nav equipped car has a unique cable loom, interconnecting the head unit, changer, amp., another unit under the dash (can't recall what it does) and the 2 units under the parcel shelf. This pic shows most of it.

Even if, after you take out the nav head unit, the connector fits the standard audio head unit, which I doubt, you'd have to re-program with Tech 2 to tell the car what its got and what it hasn't.

I extracted this lot, but haven't installed it. I sold it to a guy intending to fit the whole kit into an og 9-3. He and his brother were experienced electronics buffs, so reckoned they could manufacture the section of loom behind the instrument cluster that I couldn't separate from the main loom, which was as thick as a baby's arm!

Easier to get a replacement identical Kenwood nav unit and marry it to the car?

20170419_161327.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply.

It would certainly be easier, but also more expensive. Kenwood sat nav is not for sale in my country.

I only use the radio and CD player. I don't need navigation itself.

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
You have to change whole wiring loom (inc antennas) if you are changing Kenwood to regular Saab radio.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And do you know if it is possible to connect another radio, such as a more modern Kenwood, to these cables and antenna?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I enquired at the time, when I couldn't get the loom separated behind the instrument cluster. Just the section of loom that plugs into the head unit was more than £400.00. They are specific to the installation. I wonder whether the guy that bought the kit ever got it working in the 9-3.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a used navigation from the junkyard.
But where the touchscreen didn't work ...
And it turned out that there was a problem with the motherboard in the original navigation.

My very skillful dad combined the "new" body with the old display and everything works as it should.

I walk around it on tiptoe.. :D

·
Registered
621 Posts
And do you know if it is possible to connect another radio, such as a more modern Kenwood, to these cables and antenna?
The Saab radio head is a balanced output design. Almost all aftermarket heads are unbalanced using RCA jacks. You have to install and adapter to use the Saab balanced input amps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts