SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The press release has just come out that Saab is offering 8-yr warranty on all the engines. It is quite a buzz over the saabnet board. However, some say only 1998-2001 engines are covered. Can anyone post more detail? Thanks.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Saab Warranty

I have search many sites. Do you know were the press release came from? I guess that would answer any questions. This would be huge for a lot of people. Please keep the SC (saab central) updates.

·
Registered
642 Posts
GM's Saab recalls 400,000 cars over engine flaw STOCKHOLM (AFX) - General Motor Corp's Swedish subsidiary Saab Automobile AB said it is recalling up to 400,000 of its 9-5 and 9-3 cars worldwide due to an engine design flaw.
The company said the flaw could lead to a rapid deterioration of oil quality and damage turbo-charged engines.
'As many as 400,000 cars may be affected worldwide,' Saab (Stockholm: SAABb.ST - news) spokesman Oerjan Aaslund said, refusing to reveal how much money the company would be forced to spend on the repairs.
The company said it will issue an 8-year retroactive engine guarantee for its 1998 to 2000 9-5 models and its 2000 to 2003 9-3 models.
'The guarantee means that customers who have been affected by motor problems due to oil sludge will receive full financial compensation,' Saab said in a statement, pointing out that the purchaser of a vehicle in 1998 would still have a valid guarantee through 2006.
The car manufacturer said that about 4 pct of the 95,000 cars equipped with the engines in question circulating in Sweden appeared to have experienced problems.
'Sweden has been more affected than many other markets... mainly due to the fact that it is colder here and it takes longer for the engines to warm up,' Aaslund said.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/050127/323/fb7s4.html

·
Registered
265 Posts
SAAB "RECALL"

Actually it appears that it will not be an actual recall. The posting has changed. :roll:

CORRECTION GM's Saab to pay for engine repairs for up to 400,000 cars (Correcting story transmitted yesterday to show this is not a product recall)
STOCKHOLM (AFX) - General Motor Corp's Swedish subsidiary Saab Automobile AB said it will pay for repairs to an engine design flaw in up to 400,000 of its 9-5 and 9-3 cars worldwide.
The company said cars will be covered by an eight-year warranty against repairs associated with the flaw in the lubrication system.
Saab (Stockholm: SAABb.ST - news) stressed that it is not ordering a recall of the cars.
'As many as 400,000 cars may be affected worldwide,' Saab spokesman Oerjan Aaslund said, declining to reveal how much money the company would be forced to spend on the repairs.
The company said it will issue the eight-year retroactive engine guarantee for its 1998 to 2000 9-5 models and its 2000 to 2003 9-3 models.
'The guarantee means that customers who have been affected by motor problems due to oil sludge will receive full financial compensation,' Saab said in a statement, pointing out that the purchaser of a vehicle in 1998 would still have a valid guarantee through 2006.
The car manufacturer said that about 4 pct of the 95,000 cars equipped with the engines in question circulating in Sweden appeared to have experienced problems.
'Sweden has been more affected than many other markets... mainly due to the fact that it is colder here and it takes longer for the engines to warm up,' Aaslund said.

I wonder how this will effect those of us in the states. I would assume there will be list of problems that will fall under the warranty. Never the less its a good thing.:cheesy: Now we need them to come up with a fix for A/C and it many flaws

·
Registered
113 Posts
chico_85 said:
The press release has just come out that Saab is offering 8-yr warranty on all the engines. It is quite a buzz over the saabnet board. However, some say only 1998-2001 engines are covered. Can anyone post more detail? Thanks.
The 8-year retroactive engine warranty covers Trionic7 engines, B205 & B235, between 1998-2003. The 2004 and on T7 engine has a new version of PCV and are not affected by 'oil sludge'.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine (before I bought it) suffered from a low oil level, and required a replacement turbocharger, due to oil sludging up. Would I / the previous owner be covered for this? As mine (B235) hasn't had the PCV repair / upgrade, could I take it along to SAAB and get them to sort it out?

·
Registered
850 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Practically - My 1998 9-5 2.3se with the B235e engine smokes after stops(huge clouds), leaks oil and more, you name it...
Does that mean I can go to the dealer and repair the engine and turbocharger,
and SAAB pays? sounds imaginary to me...

·
Registered
137 Posts
How can I get saab to pay me back. I have had the sludge problem bad oil pan dropped and all oil lines cleaned also. I have also put a new turbo on. and more I really need my money back I am broke college student. saab 99 9-5 2.3

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
cak0612 said:
How can I get saab to pay me back. I have had the sludge problem bad oil pan dropped and all oil lines cleaned also. I have also put a new turbo on. and more I really need my money back I am broke college student. saab 99 9-5 2.3
Good question, I like some others had new engines too :roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is This Warranty Business Genuine ?

Oil sludge. PCV hoses that turn into chewing gum. Premature turbo failure despite regular oil changes. There can be few of us with 70K+ mile 9-5's who would be unable to make some sort of claim under the terms of this retrospective warranty.

Does anyone have further info ? I intend to be on the phone to my Saab agent at first light !

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bill moffat said:
I intend to be on the phone to my Saab agent at first light !
Please let us know how you get on, I bet there will be a full service history get out clause though :roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I spoke to my Main Dealer yesterday & they said they "were awaiting news from Saab GB"

Don't think I will hold my breath in anticipation of a quick response!:roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
The plot thickens. I spoke to my Saab main dealer this am. They knew nothing about this issue but admitted that one other customer had phoned just before me on the same subject. They referred me to Saab GB Customer relations (0845 3009593).

The poor guy at Saab GB gave a good impression of a rabbit in your headlights. He admitted that there was a problem ( exactly as documented in the Press release) but seemed to be armed with little else in the way of information. He referred me back to my main dealer ..which was pointless (see above).

Mr Saab reassured me that all dealers had been e-mailed advice regarding this Warranty issue this am. Allegedly any customer with a claim should present their car, service history and documented evidence of engine damage / premature failure to their local Saab dealer (irrespective of whether the dealer has been involved in the car's maintenance). The dealer will assess the claim and allegedly pass recommendations on to Saab GB re possible compensation.

It all sounds highly chaotic but I intend to be near the front of the queue ! Could all of this have been avoided if Saab had recommended 6K oil changes on B205/235 engines from the outset..or were they concerned that it may have put off prospective purchasers ??

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't give up. I phoned Saab UK again this morning.

I was told cagily that they had received a "communication" from Saab HQ stating that the problem was limited to a "few" Swedish cars (not 400,000 then..) and that UK imported cars were unaffected.

I sense a cover up. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to see other owners are onto Saab UK . I bought 3 1/2 year old Saab 9-5 in September , engine seized in December with 41000 miles on clock . Full service record at Saab dealer but independant warranty company refused claim quoting oil degradation as reason . At moment taking action against Volvo dealer who sold me car but this statement might be a lifeline . Friend told me about press release on Saab Swedish site but on contacting Saab UK they seem very cagey about it . The more people who contact them the better for all of us suffering large financial loss .
Mark

G

·
I was at the parts department of my local Saab dealership today and spoke to a friend who works there (in the parts dept) about this topic. He said he had heard a whisper but new nothng himself. His facial expresion told me otherwise.. whilst we were outside he told me that the sales team and showroom staff had been called in for an urgent meeting. He hadnt been told what was said but rather felt that a lid has been shut on this topic for the time being.

Out of curiosty I popped around to the showroom reception and asked to speak to someone about this. They chap I spoke to was avasive and said he hadnt heard anything.

Make of that what you will. I couldnt really push too hard as I dont and havnt had an engine problem. :confused:

Finn :)

1 - 20 of 160 Posts