SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Saab 9-3 with the nav system and I'm growing tired of the restrictions that are enabled when driving. Does anyone know if there are codes we can enter to disable the restrictions?

BMW doesn't have these restrictions and my passenger could certainly use the system while I'm driving--so these restrictions seem to be just some sort of liability related baby-sitting that Saab is doing.

Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
Is there any sort of detailed info or manual online for this navigation system? I'd really like to learn more about it. I played with it at the dealer for 20min, but that wasn't enough to make a decision on if I should purchase the option or just go with a third party navigation system, either standalone or pocketpc w/ receiver.

One question I would have is if there is any sort of 3D mode, instead of just the flat map?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
I'm seriously considering ordering it on my eurodelivery in October. Can someone with the manual have it scanned and post a pdf version of the manual for the navigation system? Purdy please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
I'm seriously considering ordering it on my eurodelivery in October. Can someone with the manual have it scanned and post a pdf version of the manual for the navigation system? Purdy please.
I'll second that Purdy Please... I did order nav for delivery, I know I'll use it, and decided I might as well get the one that looks good in the car.

I'd like to have an idea how to use it before I get to Trollhattan - plus some tricks and tips would be cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
michiganfan said:
I'd like to have an idea how to use it before I get to Trollhattan - plus some tricks and tips would be cool.
Have you spoken with the SAAB USA eurodelivery people about whether they will lend you a european navigation DVD? It would be nice to know whether you can use the navigation while you're in Europe. I'm not sure if you get the euro one when its delivered in Trollhattan or whether you get the North American one. Mercedes lends a euro DVD out to their eurodelivery customers - you just need to return it to the dealer when you pick up the car in the US.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Rob in Atlanta said:
Have you spoken with the SAAB USA eurodelivery people about whether they will lend you a european navigation DVD? It would be nice to know whether you can use the navigation while you're in Europe. I'm not sure if you get the euro one when its delivered in Trollhattan or whether you get the North American one. Mercedes lends a euro DVD out to their eurodelivery customers - you just need to return it to the dealer when you pick up the car in the US.
I have an email address of the person that coordinates the delivery in Trollhattan. It's on my list of questions that I have for her. I'll let you know what I find out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately, when I begin to physically move forward, the nav system will not let me enter in address info. I can only access the POI for my current position.

Rather annoying to have the nav system decide this for me. I think I'm smart enough to let my passenger do the input!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
That must be a US setting as my -05 NAV gives me the same options when driving as when I am standing still. Maybe there is some law that restricts the use of the system when moving.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,160 Posts
cswerin said:
That must be a US setting as my -05 NAV gives me the same options when driving as when I am standing still. Maybe there is some law that restricts the use of the system when moving.
Yes, the same "law" that says we all have our SAABs with DRS's forced on, and the same "law" that says we can't have comfort close (well, unless you're me ;-) )...

Isn't the most dangerous component of any vehicle the nut behind the steering wheel?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Mm...same here. My MY03 NAV let's me do all I want no matter if I stand still or if I'm moving a few km/h or even high speed (then my co-driver/girlfrind operates the nav as I have to drive ;) ). The only thing I always have to "accept" is the Saftey warning when going into the nav menue every first time I start the car and the nav boot the system. But that's the law...it states that there has to be a warning about operating the nav while driving is dangerous and that the traffic has allways prio 1. Logical is'n it? ;)

By the way: I'm located in germany. So don't know the law in you country. Maybe it's a law thing as mentioned above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
OT: Please excuse me for going off-topic, but what is this euro-delivery thing?
You guys can come here to Sweden to pick up your Saab? It´s past midnight so if there´s something I missed, blame it on the late hour or the blond hair. :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
cswerin said:
That must be a US setting as my -05 NAV gives me the same options when driving as when I am standing still. Maybe there is some law that restricts the use of the system when moving.
I'm not sure if its a law or not, but my friend has the Acura TL with Nav. When he was driving, i was able to mess around the system. So it seems like other car manufacturers allow for that.

BTW - I just ordered a Black Arc with Nav system also (trading in my 2000 9-5). I've been searching like hell to find more info on this,unsuccesfully. Also is it touch screen or does it use a dial? My dealer didnt have a single car in stock which had a nav in it for me to play around with. :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
Very Sadly,


It's a dial - and takes an age - and the Garmin systems are better - apart from the 'neat' install.

I have both the installed version and a Garmin unit (in my wifes Volvo) - whenever she drives the Saab, she takes the Garmin and uses that - the Saab unit is so poor.

About the only two things that are better with the Saab unit are :-

  • Neater fit
  • Downloads traffic data automatically via RDS and will re-route around hold-ups automatically if it deems it necessary.
ATB,

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
There is a few changes on the -05 Nav system compared to the -03 and -04 and I am really happy with how it works. It´s clean and slimple without any Japanees hocus pocus options.

The speed could have been better when you search for a new location but it´s not that it bothers me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
In what way is it different?


My dealer still says that they have been telling Saab to install the 9-5 unit or something similar as TouchScreen is really what is needed. Using '80's' technology to enter data is putting plenty of people off. As far as I am aware the '05 nav unit still uses a dial.

Let's face it - if budget cars can include a Touchscreen system - why are we forced into using unintuitive methods of data entry?

Shame on Saab!

Regards,

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
749 Posts
MudMover said:
In what way is it different?


My dealer still says that they have been telling Saab to install the 9-5 unit or something similar as TouchScreen is really what is needed. Using '80's' technology to enter data is putting plenty of people off. As far as I am aware the '05 nav unit still uses a dial.

Let's face it - if budget cars can include a Touchscreen system - why are we forced into using unintuitive methods of data entry?

Shame on Saab!

Regards,

Phil
You can ask your dealer what´s so 80´s with a voice controled NAV system ? I don´t know with you but when I´ve been at a customer all day long I don´t really feel fresh and nor does my fingers !!! A tip would be to rush home after work and start pressing your finger on the TFT/CRT and then have a look on the result.

The 9-3SS uses the keyboard on the left side, it´s like sending SMS with the phone and should be an easy task for people above 4 years to enter the address.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
cswerin said:
You can ask your dealer what´s so 80´s with a voice controled NAV system ? I don´t know with you but when I´ve been at a customer all day long I don´t really feel fresh and nor does my fingers !!! A tip would be to rush home after work and start pressing your finger on the TFT/CRT and then have a look on the result.

The 9-3SS uses the keyboard on the left side, it´s like sending SMS with the phone and should be an easy task for people above 4 years to enter the address.
A question regarding that; Do you get the buttons for the phone even if you only get the "handsfree" option, and not the integrated phone. I have ordered the Infotainment plus 300 with AVR, and I was hoping to be able to use the keypad instead of the knob. Anybody?
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top