SaabCentral Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys your so awesome I'm sure you can solve any car problem's.

Ok here's the short version- Mercedes 1999 Ml320
Hood latch is not working, his hood will not pop open and his battery is dead...

Story- Saab's have the best forum's and I'm not just saying that because I have one :)
Seriously, you guys answer question's super fast and are awesome.
Anyway, lots of people that have Mercedes are having a problem with their hood release.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1397399-hood-release-cable-broke-cant-open.html

I have minimal experience with my roommate's Mercedes ml320 1999. He's having this exact problem (where the hood will not pop open), the latch inside is not working and we've tried every conceivable option to get it open (like one of us pushing down outside while another pulls on the inside). I really like him and wanna help him, I'm pretty handy mechanically except I've only worked on my saab 9-5. To make matter's worse his battery is dead. I feel especially bad because when he first noticed the problem was right after I bought him a new oil cap and he went outside to put it on (because he lost his). I'm pretty sure I could get it open if we "broke" the grill, but I don't wanna have to do that and neither does he. I noticed that the grill is comprised of removable segements. Well at least it looks like it can be removed and popped back into place. Pretty much i'd like a solution that doesn't involve breaking his hood, any help would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Problem #1) Dead Battery, Solution: You can find a product at Target that called a battery booster or something similar, it plugs into your cigarette lighter of the car with the dead battery, that will probably get the car started.
Problem #2) Hoot latch..I'm looking into that one, but sometimes a small flat, new putty knife can work wonders if you slip into the right place...I also like the idea of spraying the latch area with WD40 or PB blaster...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help, If I can get his hood open I can jump start his car :(
It's really hard to insert anything directly in front of the grill because it has an antitheft plate that prevents it from being pryed open (unless I'm doing it wrong).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah I'm familiar with battery booster's but 100 bucks for two unemployed college student's is a lot. (although i guess i could return it after) Hmph, yeah maybe AAA could help, he's pretty much given up though. I'm just trying to find the cheapest solution for him. His car has been parked for like a month now, I just decided to give Saab mind's a try today since I know you guy's are the best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.