SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find articles about Saab making a comeback. Has anyone seen any articles? Or is this on the DL and they will be making a big announcement in 2016?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Wait another 10 years and there MIGHT be something happening. For now, it's on ice.

Essentially, National Electric Vehicle Sweden (aka NEVS) – the owners of the Saab bankruptcy assets – ostensibly have the rights to the name, but not permission to use it from Saab Aerospace, who actually own it. Until that changes, don't expect to see anything new with a Saab badge.

NEVS are currently buoying up their business by consulting for other manufacturers. They recently licensed the blueprints to the 9-3 to a Turkish government body, and they definitely use the Saab facilities to help with vehicle testing and engineering.

It's a very slow burn. Some people don't think they will ever manage to get another car out. They seem tenacious, but they are too quiet for most and haven't made friends with a lot of Saab fans. Some people who I trust and who have been "inside" NEVS seem to have faith in them. But launching a car takes many many billions, never mind a range of cars! If they pull it off I'd be amazed.

The other factor is: do you believe in electric cars, or not? Because any future Saab might be electric only.

Someone else might try to secure the name one day, but there's never been much interest really.

Look after and enjoy your old Saab's! :D

·
Super Moderator
31,228 Posts
I am trying to find articles about Saab making a comeback. Has anyone seen any articles? Or is this on the DL and they will be making a big announcement in 2016?
Short answer is: NO :cry:

The scoop is here, whether it's all facts or a blend of facts, speculations, rumors, etc.

http://www.saabsunited.com/2015/10/pres-release-nevs-has-been-chosen-by-tubitak-as-its-partner-for-developing-a-turkish-national-car.html

http://www.saabsunited.com/2015/10/more-on-the-turkish-delight.html

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aren't they trying to get these electric cars in China? Supposedly to help the major air pollution caused by gasoline/diesel cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The "Pollyanna" in me thinks that this would be wonderful ..A nation, such as Turkey to push aside the shackles of Islam and join the western world ..which Turkey has wanted to do for a long time .. This "national" has to be different and better , it must be "worldly' , not just "national" . Is Turkey ready for this huge advancement ? Will SAAB be up to this task ? It would have to be as advanced as a Tesla , and even more so..No IC engine , no pollution, no "stealers"(dealers), no advertising (which I think is "evil").. So, is Turkey up to this task ?? , trying, if this is so, to leapfrog both Japan, Germany and maybe the USA .

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
NEVS started building new EV's on the current 9-3 platform however not with the SAAB name. They never got the rights to it and most likely never will. As much as I hate to say it SAAB is done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts