SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Basically Saab is dead.... Sabbers are not Electric car people, they are sport / performance people. BMW here I come... well, I'll give the SS some more time, it's still got a pulse.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically Saab is dead.... Sabbers are not Electric car people, they are sport / performance people. BMW here I come... well, I'll give the SS some more time, it's still got a pulse.
I would disagree, I have been a Saab person for decades,
I have built electric Motorcycles, and my brother has been looking to convert his 900 to electric.
As for performance it depends on the size electric motor you put in.
Most electric vehicles are compromising performance for distance right now.
To me Saab is much more than just the engine.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
;ol;.

i won't be buying one..not sure what i'll get when/if the SS goes..:cry:
I felt the same way when GM bought Saab, I will wait 8 to 10 years then I will decide if I want one or not.
It my case at least it would be able to go thru deeper water without dying.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Don't count on it! Hold your breaths! Till the time (if ever) Trollhattan starts building cars, they will produce batteries (in cooperation with Prudent Energy) and biomass ethanol products for electrical energy production. This is what National Modern Energy Holdings (the new buyer from Hong Kong) is interested in. And this is much more profitable business than electric cars.
So Saab (the brand we all used to know) has ceased to exist.
The new buyer is not even interested in buying Saab Parts! They do not care about Saab's heritage and existing Saab models.
This was a sale backed 100% by the Swedish Gov.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They can build other cars too. I think they would be smart to carry a midsized turbo to appeal to the Saab loyals. We'll see if they do.

·
Registered
521 Posts
yeah... no thanks. I don't think I'll ever buy what will most likely be an overpriced electric car that has no performance value. That deal effectively made saab into a completely different brand, cutting it off from most of its former supporters.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't count on it! Hold your breaths! Till the time (if ever) Trollhattan starts building cars, they will produce batteries (in cooperation with Prudent Energy) and biomass ethanol products for electrical energy production. This is what National Modern Energy Holdings (the new buyer from Hong Kong) is interested in. And this is much more profitable business than electric cars.
So Saab (the brand we all used to know) has ceased to exist.
The new buyer is not even interested in buying Saab Parts! They do not care about Saab's heritage and existing Saab models.
This was a sale backed 100% by the Swedish Gov.
They plan of keeping the 9-3 and Phoenix.
As for electric cars, 300hp+ 0-60 in 3.7 sec. is good enough for now.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The Swedish Gov'e was saving Jobs... a noble thing.... but the heart and soul of Saab literally faded when GM took the reigns, the SS is my third Saab and I had been contemplating a 4th..... but no more unless a pre GM C900 to restore, I still regret selling my 88' 900 T16 CV, now that is a Saab :) and that B202 was real modible..

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah... no thanks. I don't think I'll ever buy what will most likely be an overpriced electric car that has no performance value. That deal effectively made saab into a completely different brand, cutting it off from most of its former supporters.
Where are you getting the info on performance?
I have not read anything about the power plant or what they will use.
Again 300 HP and 0-60 in 3.7 is nice, so I will wait and see.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
how so, its not british!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I'll hold my tongue until I see some actual specs of the new Saabs.

Electric cars are not necessarily a bad thing, there just hasn't been a good one made yet. Mostly due to current battery technology.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
486 Posts
Turbocharging is part of Saab's soul. It's hard to accept a modern Saab without it.

Battery powered cars that require long recharging are just wrong. My cell phone, as well designed as it is, requires charging every night. That is just stupid, and it's sad that we as a society have grown to accept such things.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I read an article about the Ford Focus electric car. It looks reasonably nice with the Aston Martin type grille. The problem is that it is $40,000 (U.S. price, compared with the U.S. 9-3 price of $30,000 list, roughly $21,000 for leftover 2011's) and the range is only 75 miles.

For such limited use, $40,000 is too much. A Saab 9-3 electric car might sell for at least $45,000, probably considerably more. That is risky.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts