SaabCentral Forums banner

Saab linear..upgrade to aero turbo (TD04)

25K views 46 replies 17 participants last post by  Mimmi 
#1 ·
Alright..I have been driving my saab 9-5 linear for the past 6 years. I have 144K miles on it....now that i am graduating college and do not see a car payment as an option, i was looking into doing some upgrades on my linear.... obviously the biggest improvement would be the larger turbo.

What else would absolutely need to be done for this work and be OEM..aka not going to destroy the beautiful ride.

Thank you

#2 ·
you would have to get it tuned and maybe a downpipe im not sure if the flanges are the same

how much power you are looking for, i would set a number HP and torque then talk to Casey at brewcityboost aka rabbit and see what the most effective way to get there, you could just get a couple bolt ons and a tuned ECU for what you have now

welcome to the forums

#3 ·
If ya wanno go cheap go in stages as SMAI said. A stage III tune that requires a DP and intercooler and will be like 500 bucks. The exhust flange is the same so you can go to Aero turbo later..

but if you are handy just go Aero ECU and Turbo, with ajsutment to the lines its a direct swap

#4 ·
okay sounds great...i do all the maintenance on the car so i have a good understanding of what is under the hood.

Now remapping the ecu can be done myself...but what type of computer do i need in order to do it properly?

I have found a website to buy a tubro n the oil cooler lines at a good price.. obviously i am shooting to do this well under a $1,000 and mapping the ecu is a bit pricey..

Thanks for all the help

#11 ·
If you haven't had your clutch replaced at all, prepare for that in the semi near future when you upgrade to the TD04. The Linear clutch just isn't as robust as the Aero clutch. Mine lasted to 160k, with 117k-160k being tuned with the GT17. Replaced the clutch and turbo at the same time recently, because the turbo was leaking and the clutch was slipping down in 3rd gear.

#14 ·
Could you specify what parts exactly should be replaced - the clutch and the CSC, or the CSC is the same as with Linear?
The slave is probably the same in the Linear, but when doing a clutch job, it is generally advisable to replace it at the same time. Basically, it is a pain to drop the subframe for the clutch, so you might as well replace everything in one go. Not a bad time to lighten the flywheel either.

#17 ·
Thanks for reply.

Sure the CSC will be replaced together with the clutch. What about flywheel, I heard that it is different in Aero?

A conversion kit will be great, waiting!
Flywheel is the same It will need to be resurfaced for the larger Aero Clutch plate tho but you should always have it resurfaced when you put in a new clutch/

Wiat to get the new clutch depending on hwo you dirve you may get 20-50K from it ( I did on my Stage III conversion)

#18 ·
if you are on a budget im selling my used aero clutch and pressure plate see my for sale ad in the classified i also have a new rear main seal i didnt end up using

you should also get the updated slave cylinder the one with out the green sleeve, its cheaper and better

#19 ·
Td04

Has anyone purchased or has heard of turbochargerpros.com? Looks like they are selling TD04 for $445 remanufactured and 525 for after market. Obviously I would deff purchase the mitsubishi if i could, but its too expensive.

Has anyone used these guys? Or heard of good results for the $525 TD04?

Thanks

#26 ·
I've been down this road --my Aero got written off and there were none around........so i got a vector. Installed a Stage 1 ECU from ebay --a guy in the UK (with open SID), and a used TD-04 + lines, and a few other Aero bits from Nordicspeed in Canada. Aero rims locally. $500 for turbo + ECU.
Bilsteins B8s added & its BRILLIANT!
Go for it.

#28 ·
yeah the rims were $700--- as you say probably not worth it ----but i really wanted them. I didn't like the Vector rims + it sat up like a bus and I got used to the Aero's firmer handling.
I too am looking at the exhaust now, mine's got 140K on it ---(was 130K when "Aero'd up). Aero wagon's are like rocky horse poop here.....& I couldn't wait for one to come up for sale.
Change all your vac hoses -mine looked a bit tired here & there -crackly & semi-brittle, so too avoid any issues--swappped em all out...cheap precautionary measure. Got the B4 servo to do now on the 5 speed auto box --(jumping @2nd 3rd at low speeds)........that's gonna be a pain!!!

#29 ·
Here it goes,

Saab seems to be at base boost according to Casey at Brew City, Great help thus far BTW....today i swapped out the MAF, BCV, and there are no vacuum leaks. Next, i noticed the cruise control not working, there are no brake lights on...I do not know what could be triggering the base boost and the lack of cruise control.

NO engine lights, no odd noises...Gass consumption is normal. and everything checks out...just cant seem to figure out why i am only about mid to.... three quarters of the way in the yellow (Factory boost gage)..

Any suggestions??? thanks

#30 ·
if im not mistaken cruise control works off vacuum so if its not working you may have a vacuum leak. you might not notice any hairline cracks in the tubing that expose itself when under boost or vacuum. Also your one way check valves could be bad, I would start there and check the two on the passenger side of the engine bay and go from there. You could try the bolt mod and if you see an improvement then you know one of the check valves is bad. do a search for it on here and you will see how to do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.