SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 89' 900 SPG. I have many things to fix with this car ... so starting with interior I have two questions:

1. The car has a specific smell I also noticed at my previsous c900 some years ago (I call it the "Saab smell"). Anybody knows what causes it? Since the seats are in preety bad shape (torn & cracked leather) I'll probably replace the whole fabric interior - seat leather and inside seat stuff, floor capet, ceeling etc. Will this help at the smell problem?

2. What's better - to recarpet the leather seats or buy used in good shape? Any advice on what to do with seats repair appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It could be dampness, maybe there's a leaking window seal somewhere or door rubber, if the carpets get wet and it's a constant leak this could cause an odour. You don't state whether the smell is offensive. Leather interior also has it's own smell and personally, I like it. Are you replacing the leather interior for fabric? If so and if it's the "leather" smell you dislike that may cure it. There are links on this site for replacement leather seat covers, it's a US based company there is a link on this site somewhere! but I can't for the life of me find it, I'm sure somebody will post it up for you. As for the headlining, there are several links for this, here's one.... http://uk.geocities.com/saab99tips/Interior/Headlining.htm I would think it would be cheaper to find some second hand leather seats rather than refurbish yours, but I am not sure, you will have to look into it to see which suits you. Hope this helps and you find your way. Good luck :D

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I found this post which might help with some ideas. I don't know the smell you mean - my car came with a yellow air freshener that I threw out of the window in the first 2 minutes of ownership, but the car stank of vanilla for months. If you replace seats, carpet and headliner there's not much left that could smell.

Bit on carpets here.

Headliner replacement.

Leather seat covers

Collapsing seat repair

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
I know the smell he's talking of... all my C900 also had a similar smell... Wonder what it was. leather? (both on my Bridge of Weir and Elmo cars)

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
its old european car smell. leather cars a bit different. i love the smell. my car also came with a freshner! so gorss! hated it! now the old european car smell is back after washing the carpets, scrubbning everything, dooing a major clean and condition of the leather and driving with the windows down and frequent vacuum. a good tip it to just clean the car like no other, let it really dry out, lots of vacuum, take the seat sout and get the carpet in there. wash all the dash and plastics with a good cleaner. condition everyhting, windows boot ect. wash the floor comparments out and under the rear seat. this all contributes. people always remark on how clean and good smelling my car is. even wash the engine bay, the grease and stuff contributes. wash EVERYTHING!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts