1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have good friends that live in Seattle they have been whining and crying about this for the past few days on facebook :roll:

But yes the Saabs are excellent in bad weather, that is why the town of Vail Colorado used Saabs as their police cars.

Damn it cut off my link oh well, if you search google im sure you can find it, its a cool little history.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i got my 9-3 in April, after winter was over here in Alaska. now its snow time and i am loving this thing.

the last couple of days here in Anchorage we have had freezing rain, and the roads have been like a fresh sheet of Olympic ice.

the saab handles it like a pro. i have not had one slip or misstep with this car, even on the slickest roads i have ever driven on.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I didn't see that Saab do anything special. That hill didn't look too steep, but it was definitely icy as hell. The Saab driver should not have been going as fast as they were. Last winter I can attest to having no problems, and going around people spinning their wheels on hills, or had spun sideways to the curb. Of course other cars were, too, you just can't stop in those scenarios because you may never get going again. A Saab is no safety measure against decent winter driving knowledge - seems these Seattle people had no clue about driving in those conditions. You'd think common sense would dictate caution, but that is what is usually lacking even clear weather driving in any city.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I do think some cars are better programmed to handle slippery conditions better than others. I think Saab is one of these cars.

However, ice is ice, I don't think there's a car superior to any other car on ice.

My Saab is evident of this. (From last winter)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here's another attest to Saab's great winter maneuverability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Ug-udF4V0

shows how much a of a difference the ESP (Electronic Stability Program) makes in icy/snowy conditions

a couple of you might think Saabs aren't much better in winter, but they sure as hell were built to be

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
saabs are alright in the snow the main issuse i found was abs it will be the accident causer. im hoping for no snow or atleast very little becuase i dont have snow tires at hand

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
A long time ago when I bought my first 4X my buddy was concerned and with the first icy snowy day, he called to warn me that yeah, you can go faster but you can't stop faster. Putting on the brakes is the great equalizer and don't ever get smug about what you are driving.

·
Registered
290 Posts
saabs are alright in the snow the main issuse i found was abs it will be the accident causer. im hoping for no snow or atleast very little becuase i dont have snow tires at hand

ABS doesn't cause accidents, going too fast for the conditions causes accidents. ABS will maximise stopping ablility under most conditions while maintaining steering ability.

I would much rather slide into something straight on and use the full complement of crumple zones and airbags rather than sideways.

Snow tires should be required by law in places where it snows/ices. Makes all the difference. Quebec and most of Europe have the right idea.

-Kevin (put mine on yesterday, Old Man Winter, bring it on!)

·
Registered
821 Posts
great vids, love the bus part lol

i've had my snows with studs on a week or so, had them last winter and was going places nobody else was, love saabs in the snow

·
Registered
394 Posts
Those we're sweet videos! Good to know my cars better off with the ESP on!

Winter tires should totally be mandatory especially in canada, its disgusting to see what some people use for tires in general ! I know lots of people don't buy them because of money but if your were to buy two set of tires they should last twice as long! with regular maintenance of course

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Those we're sweet videos! Good to know my cars better off with the ESP on!

Winter tires should totally be mandatory especially in canada, its disgusting to see what some people use for tires in general ! I know lots of people don't buy them because of money but if your were to buy two set of tires they should last twice as long! with regular maintenance of course
Over here in Germany it's the law, if you get into an accident driving in the snow with the wrong tires you're going to be liable. I have some nice winter tires on the Saab, my Ford has some all-season "mud & snow" tires but it's AWD. What was that AWD SUV/crossover that got sideways spinning all four tires going up the hill?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Over here in Germany it's the law, if you get into an accident driving in the snow with the wrong tires you're going to be liable. I have some nice winter tires on the Saab, my Ford has some all-season "mud & snow" tires but it's AWD. What was that AWD SUV/crossover that got sideways spinning all four tires going up the hill?
That's the Acura MDX.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts