SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
saab gm900 2.0NA v/s saab 9000cs 2.3LPT interm of reliability,maintenance cost&fun?

As topic above,i am currently driving a saab gm900 2.0(auto)NA,with trouble free one year driving, i like this saab interm of comfort and simple compare with those latest saab with alot of sophisticated electronics stuff but now i have been offer a saab 9000cs 2.3LPT(auto) is it a good idea to change to this saab?The good point of the saab 9000 is one year(97) newer than my gm900(96).My question is compairing this two saab which is better in term of enjoy driving?reliability?cost to maintain?
Thank You.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
faigolfgti said:
As topic above,i am currently driving a Saab gm900 2.0(auto)NA,with trouble free one year driving, i like this Saab interm of comfort and simple compare with those latest Saab with alot of sophisticated electronics stuff but now i have been offer a saab 9000cs 2.3LPT(auto) is it a good idea to change to this Saab?The good point of the Saab 9000 is one year(97) newer than my gm900(96).My question is comparing this two Saab which is better in term of enjoy driving?reliability?cost to maintain?
Thank You.
IMO, keep what you have - you know what you have and with the service history, can project about what you will need in the ensuing years..
We have "sophisticated electronics" in our computer systems and how long do they last ???
Nevertheless, they are the wave of the future, if only repair facilities and repairmen could keep up....

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I agree. There is always a risk when buying a 10-year-old car, and one year newer is not a trade up. If you have a car that age, in good shape and runs well, you would be trading a known car for an unknown.

·
Registered
818 Posts
We have an expression.....

"better the devil you know than a new devil..." or something close to that, maybe you have a similar expression in the Far East. The 9000 LPT engine has more to go wrong because it has more parts, some are expensive parts, sure the extra parts give you more power but the added complexity will cost you money one day. Also, with the simpler engine your mechanic (or yourself if you perform your own maintenance work) will have an easier time with diagnostic work.

Many Saabs in your region? My instinct say no....I bet finding Saab parts is not easy. Another reason to stay with the more simple car, the 900 non-turbo.

Best regards,

John in Connecticut
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
The 9000 will be a huge step up in power, handling and comfort...

And the turbo really doesn't have many more parts than the NA model. The engines are basically just as reliable if given the same standard of care (frequent oil changes, etc...)

The electrics are the buggy bits, though....

·
Registered
818 Posts
Expensive extra parts prone to trouble include

the turbo itself, the wastegate and 2 or 3 meters of vacuum line, the DIC vs. a distributor (OK, you got me there strictly on parts count...) Point is you pays your money and takes your chances. As a card-carrying cheapskate, I drive an N/A, it's a great little engine. But what you say has validity, a beat up N/A is going to give you gray hair faster than a well-maintained and up-to-the-minute 9000 LPT, but who makes an old car perfect before they sell (dump) her? If you can afford the better (more complex) car, go for it.

John
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert

1 - 6 of 6 Posts