SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I want to start a conversation about converting old Saab's to Electric. As everyone knows the 1999-2003 9-5 and 9-3 models are cheap and plentiful with blown engines (sludge). There has been a lot of discussion about Saab EV which gave me a lot of hopes for the survival of Saab. Yes I know that we now have NEVS and they are building 9-3's in China that are completely electric. If you have seen the pictures on the internet these cars look just like the last generation of 9-3 so my thought is if they can simply electrify a Saab 9-3 why couldn't we? We being the large community of Saab enthusiast that we and many other forums are collectively we should be able to figure it all out. On the WEB there is a site called EV West which seems to have kits to convert a few cars to electric it seems mostly VW's.
I have seen a lot of discussion about converting existing vehicles to electric and some of the topics that seem to present problems. Here is a list of some that I have seen. Please feel free to contribute either a problem or a solution.
1) Cost, especially of the batteries.
a) where to put the batteries is in the gas tank. If anyone has ever replace their plastic tank just imagine sawing it in half putting the batteries and electronics in there. It could then be a plug and play design just like TESLA.
2) What type of electric motor should you use.
3) Wiring, kind of needs an electrician with mad skills to help figure things out.
4) Maintaining existing systems like A/C HVAC, ABS brakes, Air Bags, Entertainment.
5) Transmission and drive train. I have heard that electric motors are powerful and can just rip a transmission apart.
I know this is not everything but thought it might be a fun discussion to have with you guys to see if collectively as a group we could find a way to do it. I mean how cool was it in "Back to the future" to see all the vintage cars that had been converted to electric flying vehicles! Maybe someone has a connection to NEVS and you could just buy the whole electrification kit, find a nice 9-3 and slap it in.
I am not looking for a fight or any negative thoughts just a pure positive and fun "what if" discussion on what is fast becoming the future of the world of automobiles. I mean, Volvo has decided that they are going to release every new model they build as and EV just google the Volvo xc40! So why not Saab!

·
Registered
210 Posts
There should be a kit sold because the electric motors on Teslas are next to the wheels.
Batteries cannot just hang where the current gas tank is now for various reasons like weight, size, and having a moisture proof seal around the electrical connectors.
The video above is pretty nice, saw it a few months back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts