SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I learned today I must have a 2.0 in my saab because only the Viggen's had the 2.3.. But now I want to know do i have the B205L or B205R? How can I tell? I have a 2001 9-3 SE

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hi All,
I learned today I must have a 2.0 in my saab because only the Viggen's had the 2.3.. But now I want to know do i have the B205L or B205R? How can I tell? I have a 2001 9-3 SE
Almost certainly an B205R high output turbo. Should have a "K" as the 8th digit in the VIN. Except for the turbo charger itself, a couple hoses and pipes at the turbo and the mapping in the ECU, the B205L and B205R are identical.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now i truly confused... I have a "K" in the 8th digit of the VIN.. But when I looked up the VIN it said it was a B205L? Is it a B205R or B205L?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now i know your wrong because if im not mistaken 2000 was the last B204's 2001 would have a B205 just not sure if its a L or R?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Just want to know.. No mine does not have the badge.. It has the SE on it...
Ok, an easy way to tell.

The B205R's turbo compressed air outlet heading to the intercooler has a very definite forward cant to it, perhaps 20° or even 25°.

The B205L's compressed air outlet is nearly vertical pointing straight down.

On on the B205R's turbo, the clamp that retains the intercooler hose to the turbo is clearly in front of the turbo and the waste gate actuator is above the clamp., on the B205L, that clamp is nearly completely under the turbo and the waste gate actuator is in front of the clamp.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Ok, an easy way to tell.

The B205R's turbo compressed air outlet heading to the intercooler has a very definite forward cant to it, perhaps 20° or even 25°.

The B205L's compressed air outlet is nearly vertical pointing straight down.

On on the B205R's turbo, the clamp that retains the intercooler hose to the turbo is clearly in front of the turbo and the waste gate actuator is above the clamp., on the B205L, that clamp is nearly completely under the turbo and the waste gate actuator is in front of the clamp.
Think you scared him off :lol:

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Just want to know.. No mine does not have the badge.. It has the SE on it...
Take a picture of the turbo if you still have questions. You can upload it to here directly. The site should auto-size it to fit the requirements of the MB limit. You can make an "album" and just post a link to your album. WinK was describing: try and get a pic of the lower most "pipe/tube" under the turbo if you're looking down at it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Take a picture of the turbo if you still have questions. You can upload it to here directly. The site should auto-size it to fit the requirements of the MB limit. You can make an "album" and just post a link to your album. WinK was describing: try and get a pic of the lower most "pipe/tube" under the turbo if you're looking down at it.
Do I need to remove heat shield?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You will need to to get a good view of the turbo. What color is your intercooler? To get a good view of it pull your grill off, there are two tabs on the headlights that hold it in place.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Hi All,
I learned today I must have a 2.0 in my Saab because only the Viggen's had the 2.3.. But now I want to know do i have the B205L or B205R? How can I tell? I have a 2001 9-3 SE
The Viggens use a Saab 9-5 engine (2.3 turbocharged).
American Saab 900S use a na 2.3.
English Saabs , base models use a 2.0 na.
Karmakarzi Kid ( a guess) 's Saab may use a 7.0 liter Ford, he is quite the one, boundless...limitless....
Modifications abound, even with the engine number you may have a "one-off"....(internal changes)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts