SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is, Is it possible to put a SAAB 9000 2.3T Aero 94-98 Make engine into a 1999 Saab 9-3 Convertible. Because There is a 9000 2.3T engine pushing 500 hp and 600 Nm of torque and they offer to sell a complete engine. Also if i were to do that would there need to be tons of modifications to espeacially if the stock 9-3 is an auto and with the engine swap turn it into a standard thanx. Contact me [email protected]

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I'm curious about this engine???

If it were me I wouldn't want this in a conv body. Unless you did some serious chassis reinforcement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This engine can be supplied or given parts to directly by Maptun the convertible chassis is strong but if i do, do the engine swap im doing breaks suspension reinforcement and some other things fisrt

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
It's very possible to do, but it's a lot of work. I'm not sure that the engine mount brackets are in exactly the right places on the block.

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
engine mounting points on the 9000 block should not be a problem ( i am converting a 9000 engine to fit a 9-5 at the mo') but what could be a prob' is the timing cover will need to be replaced with a 9-3 cover and also the head might be differant where the inlet manifold bolts (it is on the 9-5 engine)

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
stromer said:
If it were me I wouldn't want this in a conv body.
Nor would I.....:eek:

Complete waste of money IMHO. The ragtop bodyshell structure is just too flexible to warrant that sort of power levels.

Plus the extra cost/hassle of coverting the auto to a manual.....I think that's what was meant as well.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's not that much work.. It's been done.. But the engine it self isn't that much different from the one you have in your car right now. (internals) Sure it's a 2,3t but do you really need that? I push WELL over 400bhp with my 2,0t. All you need is the right hardware around it. Fuelsystem, manifold, turbo, IC, injectors and some re-inforcements in addition to a new ECU. The auto-to-manual conversion isn't much work eihter. You'll need a new manual tranny, clutch and clutch pedal with the hydralic lines. Of course you need to know what you're doing when making the swap. It shouldn't be your first project if you get where I'm coming from?... ;) GoodLuck!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts