SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I would like to know if there is a saab ecu interface available. Like software that I can load into a laptop and plug into the obd port to read/clear codes and make preferential changes to certain software controlled items.

If there isnt one available how about buying a tech 2? I heard that there is a knockoff out there that isnt a true tech 2. anyone out there have one?

I really like my vector, i would consider purchasing a tech 2 as an investment for the car. I'd prefer a software similar to vtuner that i can install into my laptop.

Thanks,

WMK

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello.

I would like to know if there is a saab ecu interface available. Like software that I can load into a laptop and plug into the obd port to read/clear codes and make preferential changes to certain software controlled items.

If there isnt one available how about buying a tech 2? I heard that there is a knockoff out there that isnt a true tech 2. anyone out there have one?

I really like my vector, i would consider purchasing a tech 2 as an investment for the car. I'd prefer a software similar to vtuner that i can install into my laptop.

Thanks,

WMK
I am like way newer than you in the Saab world and here. Most people will tell you to search.

There are to handheld type tuners, BSR, and one other (forget the name). But, it doesn't matter because BSR is cheaper and produces more HP and TQ.
The best price is our sponsor up top PartforSaabs.com

Good luck,

I can't wait until I get the handheld, but I want to do the stage 2 all at once.

·
Registered
691 Posts
no really tru...

BSR is good but MP performance have better number then bsr for stg 1... 266hp and 301tq for the aero or 2.0T

Nordik is really good too and cheaper then bsr....

GS is a very good site too for pieces, including tune.. or visit mpperformance . com

And the diff with bsr for stg 1 and 2 its only the Down pipe... its the same tune..

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Hello.

Thanks,

WMK
from what i think im hearing you want ecu tunning... tech 2 will not provide this it only lets you control features on the car. vtuners is a completely different thing the v6 model uses a completely different ecu system (bosch) which will allow for live tuning i believe. Our regular 9-3 2.0's cannot do to restrictions within the ecu the best you can do right now is a flash, altho there are people working on cracking the ecu.

here our your options as of now:
BSR-800-1000$ Handheld
mp peformance-499$ Mailed in flash
nordic-599$ Mailed in flash
jzw-399$ Mailed in flash
maptune-900$ Handheld
jack stoll-????? i believe you have to contact him

if i left something out ill edit it

i left out the power in hopes that you would get interested and look up the companys and see what else there is to the saab tunning as well as the fact that different packages provide different power.

if you want to change software preferences its best that you go to the dealership and have them change what you need changed, but its smart to do everything you want done at once because most places charge high rates.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I am like way newer than you in the Saab world and here. Most people will tell you to search.

There are to handheld type tuners, BSR, and one other (forget the name). But, it doesn't matter because BSR is cheaper and produces more HP and TQ.
The best price is our sponsor up top PartforSaabs.com

Good luck,

I can't wait until I get the handheld, but I want to do the stage 2 all at once.
Careful what information you're putting out there....BSR has nothing to do with an OBD reader or Tech II. It seems as though the OP is looking for something like a Tech II to read his engine codes and modify the car like Tech II. Not tune the car. But in that case, BSR is one of the most expensive tunes there is...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Like I said, I am a newbie, so if I am giving incorrect information, than I apologize. I am learning quickly what ECU interfaces there are available out there now.

The good news is I found the route I am going. HPTuner, simply put. I already had HPTuners in my previous vehicle and learned a little bit about computer based/ECU tuning.
The great thing about HPTuners is they want their customers to share. They have a thread in their forum for sharing. Myself and two others guys were trading amongst each other, when we found something that worked better. But, I also had a separate licensed tune that I bought from a professional tuner. We know that Professional tuners do a great job and keeping them in business is what America is about. Since, I don't know much about my Saab engine I am definitely going use a professional tuner. Finding the best, most reliable one is the next step.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Like I said, I am a newbie, so if I am giving incorrect information, than I apologize. I am learning quickly what ECU interfaces there are available out there now.

The good news is I found the route I am going. HPTuner, simply put. I already had HPTuners in my previous vehicle and learned a little bit about computer based/ECU tuning.
The great thing about HPTuners is they want their customers to share. They have a thread in their forum for sharing. Myself and two others guys were trading amongst each other, when we found something that worked better. But, I also had a separate licensed tune that I bought from a professional tuner. We know that Professional tuners do a great job and keeping them in business is what America is about. Since, I don't know much about my Saab engine I am definitely going use a professional tuner. Finding the best, most reliable one is the next step.
Interesting. Good luck with the HPTuners. I'm not sure how the response will be on here but it's something new. I personally would look more into the guys that do specific tunes for the Saab. Bsr, Nordic, JZW, they all have tunes specifically designed for the Saab. I'm sure the HPTuners is trustworthy and all. I'd just try to stick with a tune made for your car. What were you driving before?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Interesting. Good luck with the HPTuners. I'm not sure how the response will be on here but it's something new. I personally would look more into the guys that do specific tunes for the Saab. Bsr, Nordic, JZW, they all have tunes specifically designed for the Saab. I'm sure the HPTuners is trustworthy and all. I'd just try to stick with a tune made for your car. What were you driving before?
The HPTuners is actually tuned professionally by Vtuners and made many people on this forum very happy. Yes, HPT is trustworthy and their customer service is awesome.

I drove a 2007 Trailblazer SS with a few mods. It came stock with 400hp/400tq using the LS2 corvette engine. I guess I miss that turbo feeling. This is my 4th turbo car if you count my wives current car too. She drives the new VW Jetta TDI. We take her car on trips, getting 40MPG.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
The HPTuners is actually tuned professionally by Vtuners and made many people on this forum very happy. Yes, HPT is trustworthy and their customer service is awesome.

I drove a 2007 Trailblazer SS with a few mods. It came stock with 400hp/400tq using the LS2 corvette engine. I guess I miss that turbo feeling. This is my 4th turbo car if you count my wives current car too. She drives the new VW Jetta TDI. We take her car on trips, getting 40MPG.
Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that HPT was associated with VTuner. It all makes good sense then.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats pretty cool. I didn't know that HPT was associated with VTuner. It all makes good sense then.
More like VTuner is associated with HT Tuners. HP Tuners is a software and cable that allows your lap top to tune, read, delete codes all sorts of things withing the ECU. HP Tuners is the program of choice for those who tune on the GM ecus (at least for the US domestic market)

·
Registered
49 Posts
More like VTuner is associated with HT Tuners. HP Tuners is a software and cable that allows your lap top to tune, read, delete codes all sorts of things withing the ECU. HP Tuners is the program of choice for those who tune on the GM ecus (at least for the US domestic market)
That is correcto. When I had my two Subarus, the tuning of choice was Cobb Street Tuner. But, I have to tell you between the both, HPT is a better software hands down for user friendly; plus the customer service is superb. I think with the combination of Bill at HPT and Brain at VTuners, this will be a very nice changeover from GM tuning to Saab tuning. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.