SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have your attension, I have a problem:nono; Anyway I know several of you guys have removed your A/C compressors to make room for intercooler plumbing, what size was your replacement sepentine belt? My A/c pump has a bad bearing in it so every now and again the pully stops turning but the belt still turns so I want to just put a shorter belt on until I can buy a new compresor. I know this is the wrong forum but in the maintance forum the only reply I got was to buy a new compressor but I just started a new job and have no money.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That you so much! Sorry to be tricky, hope it doesn't upset anyone.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Trickyness never upset anyone.... unless there was no answer, then frustration kicks in, which can turn to anger and possibly even tears...... :lol:

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
The diagrams are originally from the Saab EPC CD. The same CD lists two part numbers for belts, one for cars with AC, one for cars without AC (no compressor).

With: 4904728
Without: 4395406 (Saab calls this the "NONUSA Drivebelt", list price $42)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
A new compressor goes for about $175 or so on ebay. Which is a lot more than $42, but still something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
stamonkey said:
A new compressor goes for about $175 or so on ebay. Which is a lot more than $42, but still something to keep in mind.
Good point, although I am also in favor of saving money... :cheesy: I am hoping someone across the pond will cross reference the Saab p/n to a belt length, then he should be able to get it for 20 bucks or so. Not really a "performance" Q. or answer, even if AC delete is a common trick to make room.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like you could delete one idler pulley and keep the A/C if you wanted. Thanks for all the info guys, you are great!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just have a compressor that the pulley keeps stopping on. So instead of getting a new compressor I wanted to run a shorter belt. Other wise since the pulley keeps stopping the belt is going to wear out and snap, the belt keeps moving over the stopped pulley.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
9-3sleeper said:
So what are the pros/ cons of this? More power?
Pros: More power, it frees up a fair amount of hp actually. Also, less weight.

Cons: No A/C = sweaty nether region

I had to drive my brothers rx-7 for a couple weeks this summer, he deleted his a/c and it was quite hot.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Wait, so you do get rid of the A/C? Corn Cob mentioned that I may be able to keep my A/C. So who is right? If I have to lose the ac then i wont do it, but if I can keep it I'm all in for this mod.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you look at the post with the diagram on it it shows the path you take with the belt. I was saying for me I am going to bypass the one idler pully, and the A/C but if you wanted to only bypass the idler pully you could, you would just need to know what size belt to get. Look at the pictures, you will see what I'm saying.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No clue, I guess there would be a miniscle reduction in resistance, but I don't think it would be enough for you to worry about unless your belt is due for a change anyway.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
NAPA 25-060716

to bypass compressor

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Does that belt also bypass the unneeded idle pully? I would like to get rid of both.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts