SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So in the past two weeks, my car has died on me. I have been driving normally and everything has died. Electronics, engine, a/c, everything, stopped. Just the little "turn on engine light". So I've put the clutch in, and turned the car back on and it has started back right up. Of course when this happens I lose power steering and power breaks. Luckily both times have happened about going 40 mph and no one really around me and straight roads.

I took it into the dealership today, and they couldn't find any errors or such in the system and they drove it around a while and couldn't get it to do it again. But thats the thing, its totally random. The first time I was accelerating out of my apartment complex and just enjoying 3rd gear and the second time I was just coming off the highway and driving on the access road. Just slowing down coasting, for a curve that was coming up.

Anyways, I hope someone can shed some light, as my dealership basically failed me today (first time ever); and I have to drive downtown daily, and if this was to happen in traffic, it could prevent me from stopping or taking some of the highway curves as I expect. Highway is under construction, so narrow lines and some random curves.

Not very happy with the Saab as of late, which is sad cause I love it so much. Also Fob and car aren't communicating very nicely, and my door handles continue to flake.

Any info would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
20,354 Posts
When was the last time you replaced the car battery?

·
Registered
650 Posts
i guess i'll ask the obvious: nothing related to battery or empty tank right?

maybe your key fob may need a new battery.

as for the car not working right.... this is interesting and i'll try to think about the problem. Maybe bad connection on the battery (loose battery cable) or loose connection? Loose hose somewhere?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They did replace the battery of the key fob, we will wait and see if that fixed the problem.

Its the original battery, but before I left for school (August), I cleaned the terminals and filled it up with water.

·
Super Moderator
20,354 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a new one.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really?

I've never heard of a battery causing the entire car to shut down like this. I'm guessing the dealership didn't want to mention it or think of it because they didn't want to put in a new battery.

·
Banned
631 Posts
If the car is dying periododically. This is a "recall" Look at your year make and model and search for recalls.

Or even better, call up the dealer give them your vin and ask for a recall report.

Ive done some research and 1 of them (that hasnt yet happened to me)
was that the car would randomly turn off.

Sooooooo ya

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you search the forums about the battery, you will see that these cars are very tempermental if the battery is bad, or near bad for that matter. I was having all kinds of problems. Changed the battery and everything has been fine ever since!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
michaLcoughliN said:
If the car is dying periododically. This is a "recall" Look at your year make and model and search for recalls.

Or even better, call up the dealer give them your vin and ask for a recall report.

Ive done some research and 1 of them (that hasnt yet happened to me)
was that the car would randomly turn off.

Sooooooo ya
I saw that recall, but I don't think it applied to my car. I read around and found some of this problem dealing with 03 automatic cars.

I'll talk to my dad tomorrow and probably go pick up a new battery. I doubt the dealership will do anything since to them there is no problem.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Et

Well one explanation is U drove by an area with Alien activity. Radiation from their flying saucer jammed the car momentarily.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

·
Registered
615 Posts
Two suggestions:

If the battery short circuits, it could pull all power from the rest of the vehicle and cause it to die. I don't think I've seen a case this serious, but it would make sense with our cars. Everything is integrated into the ECU, and any power fluctuations could cause serious havoc.

I believe that the key fob battery is only used for remote transmition (remote unlock, etc.). I believe that the ignition codes are generated by a current which is induced onto the key fob circuit (via EMF), like the subdermal chip device for dogs and cats. Perhaps the key fob circuit or antenna are damaged.

I would request a new battery and key fob, if they're still under warantee. This is a serious safety issue, and I think if something happenned, the service shop may be liable. I would bring the car back and insist on both.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is under the extended warranty, so I'm not sure if batteries are covered?

The key fob battery is replaced, so I'm going to give it a week or so and see if the problem disapears. Its annoying walking up to my car and it not unlocking, have to manual open the door, which then triggers the alarm, put the key into ignition and turn it to make the alarm stop. I feel stupid everytime it happens.

I honestly don't know if I could demand a new battery as they see it as there isn't a problem, they can't find any record of it. I'll keep ya posted. And thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For the $70 or $80 it'll cost for a new battery, I'd just replace it and not think twice about it. With the electrical demands of these cars, getting three years use out of a battery is pretty good. Much more than that, and you're on borrowed time.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only problem the key fob could be having is if the connection between the ignition and the little chip in the fob loose "connection." The battery in the fob only controlls the buttons on the key, you can take the battery out and still start the car.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I agree with the car battery suggestion. Your problems (intermittent cutting out, central locking not working, alarm going off etc) have dying battery/lose battery terminal written all over them.

Don't forget these cars are all computer modules and CAN bus wiring. A low voltage somewhere can wreak havoc...

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
jayarekay338 said:
The only problem the key fob could be having is if the connection between the ignition and the little chip in the fob loose "connection." The battery in the fob only controlls the buttons on the key, you can take the battery out and still start the car.
The RFID chip in the key is only challenged when the car is started (well that is the general consensus here), so this is unlikely to be a key issue unless the whole key unit is flakey and somehow is thinking the key has been turned while you are driving along, but then all power would go, not a restart engine message.
It's probably the battery.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Quickening said:
Its the original battery, but before I left for school (August), I cleaned the terminals and filled it up with water.
That's interesting--I haven't figured out how to add water to the original battery in my 2006, without using a drill or a chisel, anyway. The vent cap appears to be the entire top of the battery and it doesn't look like it comes off unless you break it off.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thought I would just give yall an update. They replaced the battery in the FOB and the locking system is working flawless as it should and I haven't lost power in the car. So I guess all is well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Quickening said:
Thought I would just give yall an update. They replaced the battery in the FOB and the locking system is working flawless as it should and I haven't lost power in the car. So I guess all is well.
Glad to hear it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts