SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saab duplicate keys (PA) - Confirmed

hey all, just purchased a used Saab 95-SE 2001 with only one key available. Given the cost of a second key, decided to find out a locksmith who could do it for me.

www.lock.com

Its based out of Lancaster PA (about a 90 mile drive for me), went over and got a dupe made that worked like a charm.

My total cost: $50. (of course, this didn't include the remote). I think they do it over postal mail too.

BTW: I am not affiliated to this site in any way, nor do i have any personal or business connections. Just a nice bunch of guys to deal with and the price was right for me

·
Registered
46 Posts
funny...I thought there is a chip inside the kep for the immobiliser function...?? how can anyone just dupe a new key?? can anyone advise??

sam

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Sam, as far as i'm aware you are correct. The key has a chip coded to the ignition to defeat the immobiliser, whether its the seperate key/fob or the all in one jobbie. The system for replacement keys is by a dealership taking proof of ownership via your log book, they take the chassis no down and order a new key from Sweden, it then needs to be coded to your car via Tech 2 when it comes in.
Bloodmire, have you tried starting the engine on this new key? Did you have the old key on you when you did this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yes i did have one key. This guy knows what hes' doing. He was good enough to give me the Hex code to my key and the mechanical codes to rebuild the key.

Yes, the key works, I did start my car last night. They basically use a tech 2 system to reprogram the key.

BTW they also have a way to unlocking cars with NO keys. They can actually work the computer (or so they told me) for around 600 bucks. Sure beats the heck out of buying a new unit for 2k.

Again, I have no affiliation to these guys, im just one VERY impressed customer.

Oh yeah, they can also reprogram saab remotes as long as u bring the car in too.

(Edit) BTW to answer the question about me having the original key on me while testing the duplicate, yes i did have it on me. Let me double check in the morning without the original on me. Will post an update ( i sure hope after all this canvassing for this guy Im not wrong :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
oh...does that ,mean that the immoboliser system is not fool proof...?? still got wants to read back the code and spare keys is readily availble off the shelve...:eek:

sam

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
samuel said:
oh...does that ,mean that the immoboliser system is not fool proof...?? still got wants to read back the code and spare keys is readily availble off the shelve...:eek:

sam
Nope. The immobilizer system works as required. The key cutter did it in two steps
a) make a duplicate of the key itself (cut the metal)
b) use my original saab key with a tech2 machine to extract the immobilizer codes. This is a hex code that he then copied down and programmed the "cut" key with.

He did'nt require my Saab to be around to do this, just required my original saab key :cheesy:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
bloodmire said:
b) use my original saab key with a tech2 machine to extract the immobilizer codes. This is a hex code that he then copied down and programmed the "cut" key with.

He did'nt require my Saab to be around to do this, just required my original saab key :cheesy:
Ah that explains how he got around it, he's got a Tech 2 to pull codes.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts