SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and have a problem hoping all you Saab wizzes can help!

I have a Saab OG93 B205R HOT absolutely love it have had it for 4 months, previously had a Saab 93 aero 2005 saloon model.

So the story goes like this... car was running and driving absolutely brilliant boosts hard in every gear and engine sounds really healthy. I just gave it to a garage to do a service and I collected the car. On the way home I went to do a overtake and as soon as the car hit 3000rpm it started spluttering and all boost dropped like it hit a brick wall. (This problem has never occurred prior to the service) Took it back to the garage and they said they have not touched or done anything other then the service and after a little argument I took the car away even though they said to leave the car with them , as the way they dealt with me was appalling (that’s another story)

tried doing some problem finding myself so when I accelerate hard(foot to the floor) when it hits 3000rpm the CEL flashes I ran codes and it said I had misfires and a Evap code also. Normal gentle driving there is no misfiring. Parked the car up as I thought it must be the DIC if it’s misfiring. The next morning the Car took ages to fire up so I turned it off and ordered a second hand DIC. I fit the DIC and the car started up straight away.

i thought that’s problem solved, but WRONG! Car is still misfiring and losing all boost when accelerating over 3k.
This dic has been in the car for 2 days now seems like it is dieing too.

I have checked the turbo actuator, the turbo everything seems good. I can’t hear any boost leaks or anything the car sounds healthy and driving under 3k is healthy.

I just don’t understand what the garage could have done if they were just doing a service or am I missing something. I’m absolutely stumped guys and would really appreciate any help as I am lost right now lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They performed a Full maintenance service so

fuel filter
Air filter
Cabin filter
Spark plugs
Oil and oil filter change

All parts were supplied from neobrothers (Saab parts dealer uk)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for all the replies honestly!

@jvanabra how would I check if it’s damaged? I’ve just had a visual check over it and all looks fine no visual damage.

@Doug so between 3 and 4K (More near to 3) starts to misbehave.

@EdT the spark plugs used were these ones from this link

they are ngk OE Saab plugs for the car,

however I do not think it’s the spark plugs, as that’s what I thought straight away and changed them back to the old ones but it was the same problem. So I just put the new ones back in

·
Registered
9,610 Posts
Post the exact codes.

After that, you can try clearing them and driving without hitting 3000 RPM and see if any come back.

Also, as mentioned, check the entire air intake system, which would have been disturbed by the air filter.

It's also worth taking a look at the fuel filter, maybe the fuel pressure is dropping due to a restriction or other issue after the fuel filter change. The evap code is suspicious here, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will check over everything tomorrow, as dark and late now! and post an update on here.

the CEL is not there on start up or driving Under 3k, when you hold the throttle pedal down and let it stutter without letting off that’s when the CEL flashes and then goes off eventually when I let off the pedal.

the codes i get when the cel turns on are the following

P0455
P1312
P1334
P0340
P1300
P0300

None of these codes were present before giving the car to the garage, the car has always ran awesome

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
The first code is for an evap system leak - perhaps they disturbed the evap valve when changing the air filter. It's a post-MAF leak, so it will cause these issues.

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum and grats on the OG9-3. I assume it's the Aero if you are in the UK.
Is it the Auto or Manual?

Jvanabra probably nailed it.
I also think you have the incorrect spark plugs. 6ES-11 are for the 9-5 B235 based on the info by Nick T at GS. Taliaferro Imports, Inc. GenuineSaab.com (spark plugs link)

Just observations -
1. Spark plugs - If you a fitting a New DIC, you want to ensure it is OEM (SEM) and the new plugs are a) gapped correctly, and b) they are the correct type (eg NGKPFR6H - 10 ).
2. Vacuum lines and PCV update kit #6. You want to make sure these are all in good working order.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Yup ,look over the engine bay for anything out of place, i had this happen recently when a intercooler hose popped off, (forgot to tighten the clamp) left the car running flat with no power. you may have a similar situation, possibly the back of the throttle body ?

·
Registered
2000 9-3 Aero 5d
835 Posts
The combination of a cheap non-oem DIC and incorrect spark plugs will not be an optimum solution.
There are lots of stories here about that causing some gremlins that leave your car - just not right.

It wasn't right the way the garage dealt with you. If there was a problem post service, and you noticed it asap - Then normal logic suggests the garage introduced the error.
If they unknowingly knocked the MAF or some other lines that's either bad luck or maybe the mechanics were rushed.
I'd be a little concerned however if they put incorrect spark plugs in.

·
Registered
18,736 Posts
I'm a little unclear: Did they replace the DIC? If so, is it a SEM DIC? A lot of those codes are screaming "DIC issue".
I'd regap the plugs to .9mm. Plug model sounds fine.
Like others said, look for something out of place or disconnected, especially in the areas they were near.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts