SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

After doing a lot of research of the Saab Clarion US-head units and accessories i decided to create a webpage for everybody to see. The different models are shown, schematics, videos when running and soon also manuals and brochures.

Please give me feedback and/or corrections!

http://saabclarion.doda.se

(sorry for double posting but its for both 900 and 9000)

//Henrik

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's nice work... a great reference source, well done ;ol;

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Webpage updated with better searchable partnumber lists, more manuals and broschyres and added MY84-85 section! Thanks for all the help so far.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I finally figured out the pin outs for the 6-pin DIN to the amplifier for the 92-94 clarion system (blue band)....would you be interested in this? I will post them here tomorrow if anyone wants them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally figured out the pin outs for the 6-pin DIN to the amplifier for the 92-94 clarion system (blue band)....would you be interested in this? I will post them here tomorrow if anyone wants them.
Sorry for late respons! Yes im very interested in that info ;ol;

//Henrik

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have added a new section "Other branded Saab stereos" maybe you have seen these stereos. But two of them is for me rather strange. Made by Grunding and modelnamed after the two Saab cities in Sweden (Trollhättan where the factory is/was and the Nyköping where Saab central storage is located).

Also i now have the pinout of the 13-pin MOLEX cable from Amplifier to Vehicle Harness on MY86-87 will post that shortly.

AND i have in my hand a very strange manual, it is a Saab Audio Equipment MILITARY EDITION! :cheesy: The even more strange thing is that i see no obvious changes compared to other years. It is printed in 1990 and contains the slot-in CD so it is most likely MY1991 but since i dont have that manual yet i cannot compare. Will post it shortly

BR,
Henrik

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Webpage updated on a few points, added a saabclarion equalizer tab-icon, fancy

No one that can help me with the remaining manuals? :-(

BR,
Henrik

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I might be able to scan one you do not have in the next month; where would I send it, can you pm me an email address?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I might be able to scan one you do not have in the next month; where would I send it, can you pm me an email address?
Thanks Kevin, you have pm!

I added a "readers own pictures" section so please go ahead and send me pictures of the Saab Clarion installations in your vehicles! :) E-mail can be found in the bottom of the webpage.

BR,
Henrik

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Bulb replacement

A common problem is that, like other LCDs on the various Saab dash displays, the backlighting for the radio is provided by incandescent bulbs which eventually burn out, leaving the display dim or invisible. (In the case of the radio display, there are two bulbs, one on each side of the display, so if one fails you will still be able to see the display but one side of it will be very dim).
The illumination of the switches is provided by a further five sub-miniature bulbs. Note that these bulbs are NOT interchangeable with the LCD bulbs as they have a very different voltage/current rating. See the table at the end of this article for the ratings and Clarion part nos.

Removing Front Panel from Radio Body
The following steps only apply if you are replacing the bulbs
The volume knob now has to be pulled off. Then, after unclipping the side clips (two on one end, one on the other), you have to tilt the bottom of the panel slightly out so that the two top surface retaining lugs are easier to release. I advise not pushing down on them, as they will break. (I found some fiddling with one of them was needed to get the front panel to release -- see below).

After tilting the front panel slightly it can be carefully pulled away from the main body of the radio. You might have to give the top clips a bit of help with a screwdriver though. The panel cannot be tilted very much because of the guides for the side clips, and it is a little stiff to pull off as there is a multiplug that is being disconnected at the same time (white plug in lower right of photo below). This forms the electrical connections between the front panel and the rest of the radio.

With the front panel off, you can now see the back of it (photo below) and the location of not only the two LCD backlight bulbs but the five other bulbs which illuminate the radio controls.

Bulb Removal and Replacement

With the back of the panel accessible, the LCD backlight bulbs can be exposed by peeling back the black self-adhesive covers that protect them (see photo above left). The miniature bulbs have no proper holder, but they have a silicone cap which surrounds the globe and locks into the PCB (photo above right). The flying leads are simply soldered to the printed circuit board. To unsolder the old bulb and resolder the new one, use a small soldering iron that does not generate too much heat and is intended for electronic work, otherwise you might accidentally unsolder other connections on the board or damage the PCB. The two LCD back-lighting bulbs are 8 volt 105mA whilst the five switch illumination bulbs are 14v 40mA. Do not interchange them. The 8 volt LCD backlight bulb, if fitted to a switch illumination location, will be operating from too high a voltage and will either burn out or melt the plastic switches - or both.

Clarion Part No.
Description
Quantity
379-1005-21
LCD Display
017-0376-02
Bulb, 8 volt 105mA (LCD)
991-6803-00 (supercedes 017-0345-09)
Bulb, 14 volt 40mA (Switches)
345-7071-14 (supercedes 345-7148-07)
Lamp Cap PM9861L (LCD bulbs)
345-7071-14 (supercedes 345-7148-06)
Lamp Cap PM9861L (Switch bulbs)

Similar bulbs are available off the shelf at Radio Shack (much cheaper).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry for not putting up that excellent info yet, the thing is that i dont have the copyrights to put it up like that on my page, but i will make a link to the page, i promise! Its on my to-do-list!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Creating a Clarion "AUX Input"?

First, thank you for all of this info! Great Job!

Just bought my dream car - a 1994 900 Convertible!!! I want to update it to the new century but still maintain its original fixtures. So I was wondering...

I am looking to install a USB port/3.5mm mini plug Aux Input in the back of the space below the equalizer. I know I can tie the USB in to the cigarette lighter by building a simple pigtail split.

Question about the Aux Input option:

As I do not have the CD changer in my car, could I use the open green cable DIN pin input on the head unit for an "Aux Input" for a cell phone/iPod? If so, does anyone know how to create a pigtail with a green cable DIN pin on one end and a 3.5 mini plug receptacle (female) on the other end?

I ask because in the original documentation with the car, it states that the Clarion head unit was only designed to be used with the Clarion six disc changer and that others may cause problems.

Yamonjon

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
The the green cd changer cable is a c-bus interface. There are pinouts of the 13pin connector and you should be able to isolate the L and R channel easy enough. The problem is tricking the head unit into thinking the cd changer is present.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts