SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 86 900S 2 Door Sedan, but it needs a bit of work, and is in slightly rough condition, but theres a 87 900S 2 Door Hatchback that I found that might be for sale, but its got a leaky sunroof and 5th gear is gone in it.

What all changed in these 2 years? I know headlights and bumpers did, but what else? I'm looking to see what parts would be interchangable. =/

Thanks!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Not much. 2 door sedans in North America have enthusiast value - they are lighter and stiffer than the 3 doors, people like to stuff turbo engines and build them into rally cars and such.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Model year 1986 = flat front, front handbrake with sliding calipers.

Model year 1987 = Added facelift front (sloping headlights, different bumpers). still with front handbrake with sliding calipers.

Model year 1988 - Added rear handbrake with 9000 calipers. PCD also changed so earlier wheels will NOT fit.

Many other minor changes, but those are the major ones.

Dan.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
1987 still has the front handbrake, '88 MY was the first with the rear handbrake/9000 hubs. The side-repeaters were also added in 1986.

1987 was the first year with the sloped front.

Maybe Dan above has the years mis-alligned with the desriptions?

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Overall as a parts car its a pretty good match. Heck my 86 SPG is making quite a good parts car for my 82 T8.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Are there any major transmission, engine or major mechanical differences?

Also on another note, does anyone know where I would be able to find a spoiler for a 2 door 900? Used or new is fine, I'm just looking for whats available.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
No major differences. No idea on the spoiler. Ebay etc is all I could think of.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
86-87 have the same brake setup, actually, they are different from all other years, as although they have vented rotors, they are thinner than the 88+ rotors. I found this out as I went to replace the brakes on my 87, one rotor was scarred pretty badly, so I looked up the specs on it to see if it could be turned, although no, I didn't have enough to turn it down, I did find all this info out. :roll:

Now naturally, although I have 5 Saabs, none of the others are 87 or 86 so none of my spare rotors will fit so we know what that means. :D I'm pushing the car off a cliff. :p Just kidding, actually that means I have to wait for parts to come in. Again. :roll: Seems like I'm always waiting for parts to come in, gone are the days when parts stores actually had Saab parts in stock. :confused:

As far as engine/trans, parts etc, as long as the 86 900S is a 16 valve, then everything should be pretty much the same. Enough to get it as a parts car for sure.

·
Registered
888 Posts
RM '92 SPG said:
1987 still has the front handbrake, '88 MY was the first with the rear handbrake/9000 hubs. The side-repeaters were also added in 1986.

1987 was the first year with the sloped front.

Maybe Dan above has the years mis-alligned with the desriptions?
Doh! corrected.;oops:

86-87 have the same brake setup, actually, they are different from all other years, as although they have vented rotors, they are thinner than the 88+ rotors. I found this out as I went to replace the brakes on my 87, one rotor was scarred pretty badly, so I looked up the specs on it to see if it could be turned, although no, I didn't have enough to turn it down, I did find all this info out. :roll:
Don't know about US specs, but in UK 86/7 models it was only the T16S that had vented discs with the front handbrake, other models had solid discs.

·
Registered
304 Posts
jljhlhl said:
Axles (different length) & hubs are different on S&T models... not sure about base model. Both cv(s) are interchangeable.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You have take into account here that the Canadian spec cars were vastly different then US cars.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
jljhlhl said:
Thanks for the replies.

Also on another note, does anyone know where I would be able to find a spoiler for a 2 door 900? Used or new is fine, I'm just looking for whats available.

Thanks!
There was one on ebay a couple of days ago for like $35,plus a ton for shipping.I bought one from Saab Depot a few years back,very reasonable.They are up there in Canada somewhere.:)

·
Registered
254 Posts
transmission swap preemtive maintenance items

I removed 5 spd from 86 900 8Valve and installed in 90 Automatic 16valve. Kept the 90 axles on the 90 and everything fitted up just fine.
If car has over 100k miles it might be worth you while to (as I did) :replace oil pickup o-ring, water pump, belts, pullhead and check for pitting, replace timing chain, check for pitted head from inferior coolant, replace seal for shift shaft entering rear of transmission, new slave cylinder, check upper and lower Aarm bushings, replace alternator bracket bushings with synthetic ones, repack and reboot drive axles, new upperand lower ball joints, tie rod ends.., new belts. I think I might have forgotten a few things but thats the action I took based on the miles 140K and a lot of good advice from Forum members.
These are a few of my favorite things!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts