SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right by examining this (albeit poor, please bare with me) little picture below we have a very basic idea of my driveway and car location.

With this in mind, I have received several complaints from "a tenant in your street" via the local council; apparently, my car is on the sidewalk. Noticably, the picture I have presented is BLOODY SIDEWALK-LESS, this is because THERE IS NO BLOODY SIDEWALK.

There is, however, a sidewalk on the adjacent side of the road.

What does matter you ask? Well, my car is frequently, theoretically, parked over what would be public property and so prevents the ease of use of the "sidewalk" (which, mind, my driveway is sitting on). Now, I know the law states that beyond my fence is public property but I have always assumed that people would walk around the car, or even across the road on the adjacent sidewalk. Most people do, waving politely to me as I garden of a Sunday morning (no actual gardening is done, it is more like beer drinking and it is mostly done in front of the TV and/or barbecue with friends).

So, the stage is set.

I washed my car on the weekend, usual business, has to be done. Go inside when the job is finished and return, only two minutes later with a chamois to dry the car off. There before me is this:

This has happened to my partner's car (which is a Toyota and I have been brooding for some time about whether to fix it), my next door neighbour's cars (for the same reason; their driveway sits on council land) and now, my car. Now, it's personal... my SAAB (previously immaculate, never has a thing gone wrong with it).

My next door neighbour is heavily suspicious of an old, fat man that lives four doors up, but we have no proof and the police (who we did ring) refuse to assist without a witness.

Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix this in the most reasonable (read: does not cause that bank to explode) manner possible? Any Sydney-siders aware of a place to get it sprayed without costing me a fortune?

·
Registered
917 Posts
That really sucks man, some people simply do not comprehend the simple concept of respecting other people's property. If I were you I'd fix it, then set up a camcorder or webcam to find out who it is.

IIRC, Radare made a nice thread about how to repair scratches--a bottle of touchup paint and some 3M fine cut remover and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Old, fat", and if he did this... Soon to be "Old, fat and incapacipated"!... Front the old coot and see what he has to say!... This is outright vandalism, and NOT tolerated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KSpark said:
That really sucks man, some people simply do not comprehend the simple concept of respecting other people's property. If I were you I'd fix it, then set up a camcorder or webcam to find out who it is.

IIRC, Radare made a nice thread about how to repair scratches--a bottle of touchup paint and some 3M fine cut remover and you should be good to go.
My brother is convinced we should hide a webcam out there and wait... hmmm.

I searched for Radare's thread and it is absolute everloving GOLD. Thanks Kspark (and Radare). Not sure if I'm confident enough to take sandpaper to the already significantly scratched bonnet but I'll consider it post-quotes of getting it sprayed.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Be careful with the webcam thing!

In many places it is illegal to video tape outside your own home...confusing...um.

Just be shure you can't see in other pepoles windows when you do it!

·
Registered
94 Posts
What your going to have to do is. Look to see if your the only one car Keyed in your area. If so it could be a few people. Someone you know that had trouble with. Kids Love to do this. Check the area of Kids.

Before listing to the guy next door. It could be a FAT guy 4 doors down. Let take the facts.

I washed my car on the weekend, usual business, has to be done. Go inside when the job is finished and return, only two minutes later with a chamois to dry the car off.
Ok 2 mins is not alot of time. So this suggest someone Close and someone Watching or someone walking by.

My next door neighbour is heavily suspicious of an old, fat man that lives four doors up, but we have no proof and the police (who we did ring) refuse to assist without a witness.
Now the Old Fat man. Old and Fat Mix together is less suspicious due to the fact They are not the type that will be walking around much or running. Talk to the guy. Did this old fat man Run to your car scratch it and run back. That kinda kicks this idea out. Your neigbour could have some beef with this guy.

What it dose look like is a something a kid would do. Walk by and key it. From the right to the left of your house what is there. Stores or a park at one end of the street. Are there alot of kids around.

Kids tend to want to be in and out. So I am guessing it was a dare.

Now if it someone on the block that hate you and so on they might write something like cusswords.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mate do the webcam thing and use infra red as well for night with movement sensors (swann stuff is good and cheap) and you will have hard evidence.

Alternatively do it again and set the fat guy up, have a ski mask ready lol. Request the complainant from the Council even if you have to sweet talk them or use freedom of information. the counter guy will explain how.

Maybe the fat guy and washing the car is coincidental...maybe its not. What council is it?

Cheers M.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Oh and a good Saab resprayer is 'Smashmaster' at Burwood, Pat Coles is good guy and does Saab factory stuff, dont know ho exxy he is tho.

You are 100% legal filming people, property on the street, lane, right of way, whatever it is. It is admisable in court.
Cheers M.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
That truly sucks mate, best of luck with the repair and catching the little pissant who did it. :cheesy:

No respect anymore; that is why the world is flipping on its ear ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
People listen this act happen in the day time. I dont think this need to be high cost. Dang it people he wash his car he left it for 2 mins and it happen. Do you think he washed his car in the night time. We dont have to go High tech on this. NO. We have to be smart.

If this problem happen at night I would agree with you. But it happen in the day time.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Ambassador said:
Does anyone have any ideas about how I can fix this in the most reasonable (read: does not cause that bank to explode) manner possible?
Ya go key his car, and write, \/@gina Wagon in big letters on the windshield

Then buy some touch up paint liberally to fill in the keyed spot, then polish down to make even It will look brand new.

Next time u wash your car, pretend to go inside and sit there for a few minutes reading the news paper with a camera that has a good zoom lenses, snap some photos of the guy and black mail him into buying you things :cool:

If someone did this to my car, I would destroy their life, and cause substantial distress to their psychological state

·
Registered
803 Posts
What a freekin chicken poop!! They're too scared to confront you in person but mad enough to risk a real bad butt kickin to do damage to your car. It boils my blood when this type of thing happens! :evil: :evil:

Edit2: Come to think of it, they knew exactly where to hit you that it would hurt the most. Your freshly washed car! I'd guess it's someone close to your residence. They see you out there working on it and babying it. I don't think a huge scratch is a justified punishment for making some lazy slob walk around your car. Cross the street a hole!! Sorry, I better quit before I burst. :eek: :evil:

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
High voltage applied to the car that is triggered when the paint is broken?

An attack dog that hates the sound of fingernails on a black board or keys on finished metal??

'Jack-in-the-Box' ...hide under the hood and pop out when you detect scratching sounds, thus causing a myocardial infarction???

Dig a big pit infront of your car and....

I got more!

Crap that really sucks and feudin' will have you moving out eventually. The video thing should work. Best of luck and hope you get it resolved, and if not, that you are able to move on...
Peace
Robert

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm betting you are in Woollahra C or City of Sydney C, contact them directly and say you want to talk to the complainant and resolve the matter amicably.

Cheers M.

·
Super Moderator
3,002 Posts
If anyone ever did that to big Maude (my car) I would not sleep until I found the culprit. Try to find a judge that understands how amazing Saabs are and dispose of this Saab killing bandit
Best of luck to you.
Tom

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I would fix it and wash it every sunday, leave it for 2 mins. Walk inside and look out your window. He'll be back and then just chase him down and beat the living **** out of him..... well at least thats what i would do.

Sorry about the loss man, I'm guessing jelousy was the motive. Some people should just buy Saabs of their own, so they can stop hatin.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just want to thank all you guys *tear* it is great form all this support and whatnot :D

To Atol: I have neighbours that have also been keyed for the same reason (it would seem) that they park over what would be council land, so they too, are exasperated with the whole thing; except they were keyed on another day entirely...

To Musky: I'm negotiating with the council inbetween work and whatnot, they are being helpful but not as much I'd like. My dad is a solicitor and I'm having a chat with him about what I can do if I found out who did this (using surveillace or not).

I had a further chat with some people in the street who I consider "friendly" but not necessarily "innocent" (I'm trying to keep this quiet as I'm sure if this person finds out I'm hunting them, they'll tread extremely carefully) it seems they too, are suspicious of someone a little bit further up the road from me and have told me they'd keep an eye out.

My partner e-mailed the council again and they replied that the police had, in fact, contacted them about the issue! Perhaps there is more hope than first expected (unless they are merely blowing smoke, so to speak)! Nevertheless, I am investigating prices, friends and friends of friends are attempting to organise a good deal for me, so we'll soon have that dirty scratch gone!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Use the Local Paper. Call the cops ask if you can post there Phone number in the paper so you don't look bad. Explain to the cops what you want to do. Tell them the Location where it happing and give a basic Radius. The cops Will be able to help more due to other people Calling in about Keyed cars. It might tell everyone who the problemmaker is and force them to stop.

I did this with Off road motor bikes and ATV. Our area sounded like a lawn motor with Gears running all the time. Heavy set girl use her ATV so she could see her Friend next door. The Cop nailed her. She had to pay the Fine and lost 100lb due to the fact she had to walk everywhere or ride a normal bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
set up a sting mate find the ****head :evil: . Then get one of your mates with a four by four to do a mid night burn out on his front lawn.:cheesy: We spend alot of time with our favoured car, SAAB IS OUR PASSION

1 - 20 of 20 Posts