SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, for all of you who have 83 saab turbos like mine, don't you wish Saab put their cool bage like on the 86 and newer on our cars and put side turn signals on our cars like the 86 and newer? I like my car but as 86 models pass by me on the freeway, I just think these things. Mike

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Personally, I like the older hoods without the emblem (own a Saab with the emblem, and see how much you enjoy it, they dont last very long- I recently gave in and put a new one on) and I love the old hoods with the dual vents :cool:

The side repeaters are fairly practical, great for lane changes on the highway for those who cant see your signals on your front or rear clusters.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
aerobar900 said:
Is there a reason you can't put a new badge on the front?

You can change the turn signals to later style fairly easily.
It's not the main turn signals as such, but the extra side indicators that have been mandatory on all Australian cars since the mid to late 80's, and other parts of the world for a similar amount of time.

The earlier c900's don't have the extra cutouts just in front of the lower section of each a-pillar to clip in the side-indicator housings, so the only way is to cut them out of the sheet metal, then clean/paint the openings before clipping in some side indicator housings from a later year c900.

The other possible option is something like the Hella truck lights that come in an amber version as well as red, red/amber, blue, etc.. A pair of amber ones can be secured with screws and the wiring spliced into the circuit for the main front indicators, but they're not as elegant a solution as the proper side indicators.

As for hood/bonnet badges, I prefer the newer style with the badge, but the biggest hassle is finding a hood/bonnet that isn't badly rusted and is painted in the right colour. Otherwise it needs a lot of work to repaint and deal with any rust, etc. plus if it has the older style (foam on card backing) sound-deadener, that's bound to have had it! None of my c900's with the older style foam sound-deadener have much of the foam left. :cool: My 89 16v car has a much better 'formed' liner under the bonnet which I might try to get more of for the 8V cars.

Craig.

Craig.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
saabrider said:
Hi all, for all of you who have 83 saab turbos like mine, don't you wish Saab put their cool bage like on the 86 and newer on our cars and put side turn signals on our cars like the 86 and newer? I like my car but as 86 models pass by me on the freeway, I just think these things. Mike
no ..... 123456

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Side indicators are practical but if one is out and you aren't aware its a reason to get pulled over :roll:. Happened to me once, of course they aren't going to write you a ticket for it (except maybe in Rhode Island :D ) but kinda annoying to lose those 10 minutes out of your day.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
jglavin said:
Side indicators are practical but if one is out and you aren't aware its a reason to get pulled over :roll:. Happened to me once, of course they aren't going to write you a ticket for it (except maybe in Rhode Island :D ) but kinda annoying to lose those 10 minutes out of your day.
What kind of silly USA cop would bother you for such BS? Those side indicators are not a feature mandated by NHTSA or any state DoT in the nation, thus they can work or not work regardless.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
900t said:
What kind of silly USA cop would bother you for such BS? Those side indicators are not a feature mandated by NHTSA or any state DoT in the nation, thus they can work or not work regardless.
I'll tell you that it did happen... I wanted to argue that same point with the officer at the time but better judgement prevailed. It was nighttime, so they were likely trolling for drunks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
They will pull you over for ANYTHING to check for drunks, no seatbelts, no insurance, etc. especially late at night when a lot of people on the road ARE drunk, and there are few people on the road.

I have a perfect driving record and am a safe driver, yet I have been pulled over late at night for having an indicator light out (that I did not know about), a headlight bulb that blew out when I started the car (immediately pulled over)driving to slowly, swerving, squinting (yes, really), swinging to wide in a corner at a traffic light, swinging to sharp at the same traffic light, and my all time favorite one: because my headlights looked too dim. In each case the first question was "have you been drinking tonight?" I was always let go, sometimes with a warning to get a light fixed or checked (for brightness).

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
dasander said:
They will pull you over for ANYTHING to check for drunks, no seatbelts, no insurance, etc. especially late at night when a lot of people on the road ARE drunk, and there are few people on the road.

I have a perfect driving record and am a safe driver, yet I have been pulled over late at night for having an indicator light out (that I did not know about), a headlight bulb that blew out when I started the car (immediately pulled over)driving to slowly, swerving, squinting (yes, really), swinging to wide in a corner at a traffic light, swinging to sharp at the same traffic light, and my all time favorite one: because my headlights looked too dim. In each case the first question was "have you been drinking tonight?" I was always let go, sometimes with a warning to get a light fixed or checked (for brightness).
Sounds like there isn't much to do in Vermont at night :lol:

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
900t said:
They came factory installed on the car, so they pretty much have to work :lol:

x2 on it being said to check the driver out. Someone around here got pulled over for a cracked windshield and turns out he was running drugs and had warrants out for his arrest :nono;
Theyre not "supposed" to pull you over without reason, but its your word against a cops...

·
Registered
424 Posts
On commercial vehicles, if a light is installed, it better work when you get pulled over. I assume that the same logic holds for passenger vehicles as well.

Happy New Year! :lol:

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
SAABotaged900S said:
They came factory installed on the car, so they pretty much have to work :lol:

x2 on it being said to check the driver out. Someone around here got pulled over for a cracked windshield and turns out he was running drugs and had warrants out for his arrest :nono;
Theyre not "supposed" to pull you over without reason, but its your word against a cops...
That's like the time they caught Ted Bundy because he was going 60 mph in his VW Beetle in a 55 zone :lol: :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts