SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened 2 weeks ago, luckily I parked in front of the house but its come to the point im gonna strip the car bare and melt it down..ARGH!!

Well, its simple what happend...parked in front of house, placed shifter into park, came back an hour later to drive off again and...start car up..fine, push down brake pedal and try to shift into drive...not fine!!

I searched up and down for issues on this topic and it seems to be a ghost issue...very little known about it.

I replaced the brake light switch on the pedal, still no go on shift.

Is there Anyway to force the car into drive just so i can park in the yard....we have zone parking here and I dont know when the next street sweeping will occur and I REALLY need to get it up and running.

1992-3 Saab 9000 CSE non-turbo Auto
has over 200k miles....

this car is a great everyday car...and i mean meant for everyday anything!

so if this is a quick fix to strip something down so i can park it in the yard lemme know. if not...I will sell it as-is to anyone who can tow it and wants to use it for parts or fix it up and add another 100k miles it can be yours for $950....But I rather try and fix it up so any help or schematics would help!Q! Thank you!!!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
There is a lockout that is hooked up to the brake. Make sure you are pushing down on the brake to unlock that. Not sure exactly what to do next, but I think you can remove the console or perhaps undo that from the back forward and lift it up high enough to check and see what is going on with the lockout. Moreover, it should be fused protected somewhere so check that. You should hear an audible click when you push the brake down.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
There should be a little plastic plate on the shifter base that says:

"PRESS BRAKE TO UNLOCK"

Pry it out with a small screwdriver.

There should be a slot running front to back.

Remove your key from the ignition and insert it into that slot - push down.

While pushing down on the key, squeeze the release buttons on the knob and move the shifter to the neutral position. Foot on the brakes!

Pull the key out - foot still on the brakes - and put it in the ignition as normal.

Start the car in NEUTRAL, then shift to DRIVE and move to a safe place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you both for the replies. It seems im just going to do things the old fashion way...at some point after class tomorrow I will remove the front console mold that holds the radio etc in place.....i wonder if this car would get a medal for the dirtiest console :). well i am a 4th owner - i think.

If people would like photos of the trouble I am going through I can do that....
It will cost you though:
I want INFO for performance upgrades I can do to my 1997 Saab 9000 CSE....i rebuilt the entire engine from the ground up with whatever was needed or recommended to be replaced.
I still have to strip the turbo-clean it-and replace what needs replacing---its ID plate is pretty rusty But i can clearly make out its a Garrett Turbo...a friend whose into cars calls the Garrett turbos in Saabs the 'Rolls Royce" of turbos....well i dont know but if can build up an engine that in parts cost him 30k and he still hasn't found the car he wants to put it in then....who knows.

But yes, I like a fast strong car, but I don't want to race it....only want to know that when I step on the acceleator when its a time of need my car will respond in kind....so intake ideas, BOV ideas(is atmospheric better?)

well I will cruise the forums - thank you again for the friendly posts and advice...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts