SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of these threads are for support issues for these cars. It seems like no one here takes the time to write about how great they are, and how much they love their car. If you're like me it's because you're out driving and not talking about how much you love it. Either way, I think it's about time someone started a thread where people post about all the little things they love about their cars, and we can talk about why they are so great.

I just got home from driving another car because I had just waxed my 9-3 and it was raining. I forgot what it's like to drive a car without a turbo. I forgot what it's like to not have that warm green glow in front of you. I forgot what it's like to not have heads turned in your direction at every intersection. I forgot how to start a normal car, stupid ignition wasn't in the right place!! And worst of all, I forgot what it's like to not have people stop you to just tell you how much they like your car.

The first thing I did when I got home was hug my 93, and I recommend that all you other saab owners do the same right now. Don't take your car for granted, it's not like its your wife/gf or something........ its your Saab!!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
<tears well up in eyes>

you are right! I'll hug my Aero tonight! There are loads of things that get to me about my car. Cause its an earlier 93 it was screwed together by monkeys. Blind ones at that.

But despite the ...

windscreen washer jets poping out
the cd player having to be replaced
the wheel bearings having to be replaced
the coating on the air con controld peeling off
the seat belt recall
the creaking from the drivers seat back (not fixed after 4 visits to the dealer!)
the clutch squeaking (fixed)
the fake metal plastic door trim buzzing
the plastic door handles fading to grey

I can forgive it for just about anything when i look at it!

when i have the window open and i pull away .. hearing the turbo whistle gently to me.. ahhhhhhhhh happy times.

and i've not even upgraded it yet.

I got into my girlfriends Mitsubishi the other day.. hit my knuckle on the hand brake trying to turn it on! DO THEY KNOW HOW DANGEROUS HAVING THE IGNITION KEY NEXT TO MY KNEE IS!!!!???

YES .. despite the problems I do love my SAAB :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Bladey said:
<tears well up in eyes>

the clutch squeaking (fixed)

YES .. despite the problems I do love my SAAB :cheesy:
How did you fix the squicking clutch?

·
Registered
563 Posts
well first time a took it to the dealer and they said the lubed the clutch cable.. but whatever they did it didn't work.. second time I told them again it was bad once it warmed up.. so they dismantled more of it this time and adjusted it.. its not as bad now changing gear.. was getting very rough changing gear.. but after they adjusted it.. gear change is alot smoother and the squeeking has stopped.... so far fingers crossed and all that

·
Registered
266 Posts
I don't even have mine yet and I'm already loving it! I'm in a 9-3 service loaner while they get mine ordered in.

So far what I've fallen in love with is:
-Rush of the turbo engine from a stop:cheesy:
-Great handling and a great, quiet ride at the same time:D
-Super adjustable seat and steering column
-Styling inside and out:eek:
-Steering wheel stereo controls
-Nice fat steering wheel with no stupid lumps at 10 and 2.
-Clever interior elements such as front seat cushion lower pockets, smartslot, parking brake lever that looks like a part of the interior when not engaged.
-Cavernous trunk:suprised;
-The fact I got all of it for $22k:cheesy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
2 years and almost 90,000K later, my '03 Launch Linear has been relatively trouble-free. I like this car better than almost anything else I've ever owned. (It doesn't off-road like my 4x4 did, but it's way more fun on-road!)

I've had the normal 'software upgrade issues' and had a little fun getting the transmission fix done (Saab Canada says that US fixes don't apply here :roll: )

I love the turned heads, and even having people roll their windows down and wave at me to get me to roll mine down..."What kind of car is that???"

The dolphin grey doesn't show dirt at all, and a good wash and wax lasts a long time.

While they were doing my transmission, I had a 9-2x Aero as a loaner. I was SOOO glad to get my 9-3 back!

I absolutely LOVE this car.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My only complaints after 11K miles:
- too much interior rattling and squeaking for a MSRP $35K+ car at only 11K miles
- USA gets seriously dumbed down Infotainment system and no available GSM/Bluetooth unit like Europe gets
- inferior THIRTEEN speaker sound system - I'd rather have 6 HQ speakers and a really good amp/head unit. My '01 Viggen's stock system was better than this.
- leather not as HQ as was used in my Viggen, yet this is the "Aero".
- brake dust

But, all that aside:
- best braking car I've ever owned
- it's my 3rd SAAB but this is the best handling one I've owned
- it's the best highway cruiser I've ever owned
- great MPG since gas prices have taken a permanent (IMO) jump
- steel gray can go weeks without a wash and look clean
- I paid thousands less than MSRP making the 330i not worth the extra $$$

I would say that this car is unique but in Atlanta SAABs are becoming very prevalent, including the 9-3SS. I feel like I see more and more of them every week. I like unique but I also like to see SAAB selling cars. I have a feeling this is due to our very good SAAB dealer in Atlanta (in my 8 year relationship anyway).

·
Registered
266 Posts
I giggle at the complaints I've read about the 9-3 so far. :lol: I just traded in a 2003 Nissan 350Z for mine, and it's in the same price range at $27-34k MSRP. It's MUCH lower quality as far as materials and fit-and-finish go and has MANY, more SEVERE problems (transmission, tires being worn down in 5-8k miles, electrical malfunctions galore). If buttons peeling and rattles were my only complaints, I might still be in my Z. Never mind it did rattle and the radio did suck. You guys don't know how good you've had it!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Saabseeker said:
I giggle at the complaints I've read about the 9-3 so far. :lol: I just traded in a 2003 Nissan 350Z for mine, and it's in the same price range at $27-34k MSRP. It's MUCH lower quality as far as materials and fit-and-finish go and has MANY, more SEVERE problems (transmission, tires being worn down in 5-8k miles, electrical malfunctions galore). If buttons peeling and rattles were my only complaints, I might still be in my Z. Never mind it did rattle and the radio did suck. You guys don't know how good you've had it!
Always nice to hear somone put us in our place:D! I do love my car. My complaints are few and far between. And I wouldn't trade it for any Black Forest sheet metal (as my WWII veteran gramps calls German cars).

I am going to love it even more after my deer damaged front bumper and hood are fixed next week.

Hail to the 9-3 SS.

·
Registered
177 Posts
black_linear said:
Black Forest sheet metal (as my WWII veteran gramps calls German cars).
Hehe, in Sweden some people call them Hitler-sleds. A little harsh perhaps.
No offense to any Germans on this site. ;oops:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This car has saved me from serious injury twice. The first time was back in January when I was rear-ended. The SAHR system prevented whiplash and any associated injuries. I was back at the gym that same evening.

The second time was this Monday. A girl turned out of a side street right in front of me and I nailed her driver's side front fender. I barely had time to hit the brakes. I hit her so hard there was an imprint of her wheel in my front bumper. I felt absolutely none of the energy of the impact. The car absorbed it all. The airbags blew, but I had no cuts, bruises or burns associated with them. The only "injury" sustained by me was a slight bruise from the seatbelt shoulder harness (the girl was OK too, BTW). I just got the estimate today - $11,500 in damages. It will be repaired. If it was totalled, I'd go right out and buy another one (Aero/Vector trim this time, though :cheesy: ). If I was in a lot of other cars, I most likely would not have been so fortunate. All the police, firefighters, paramedics, and onlookers were very impressed at how well the car held up to the impact.

Also, funny story, since the accident occured in a residential area, immediately everyone poured out of their houses to see what happened. As everything was winding down and I was waiting for a tow truck, one of the neighbors came up to me and said, "I just wanted to tell you, that's a really nice car." I replied that it was a lot nicer 30 minutes ago. :lol:

EDIT: I'm driving a Pontiac G6 for a rental. This car is a total POS. If you guys think our Saabs are bad with rattles, this one has rattles from the doors, dash and sunroof, and it only has 1200 miles on it. No wonder GM can't sell these things - they're awful. I can't wait to get my car back.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sounds like the 2005 Pontiac Grand Am with 800 miles I had as a loaner. If someone had told me it was a 1985 model the interior wouldn't have clued me in that I was being lied to. GM is so completely and utterly clueless of how sh*tty their cars stack up (with the exception of perhaps the 'Vette and Caddy's) with foreign competition. Sticking GM badges on a Grand Am is like adding insult to injury.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thrilled you started this thread! It's been about 8 months and ten thousand miles. I still get excited to drive it. Paid under $30K for a new aero 6 speed. By far, the best deal on the market for such a beautiful, well equipped, fairly uncommon, so engaging to drive, so safe to trek my kids around in, incredible midrange passing power, phenomenal gas mileage, most comfortable seats, Swedish designed and assembled automobile!:cool:

As far as I'm concerned, the best car 30K can buy! (IMHO)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts