SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably a weird question on the Saab forums, but who here owns a Volvo? I've an affinity for Swedish cars (obviously) and I've always been eyeing V70R's as they occasionally appear on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. I also enjoy the Volvo V70 XC from the early 2000s. Anyone here have any experience with Volvo, and how they compare with Saab in terms of reliability, performance, fun, build quality, etc.?

P.S. Currently own a 2006 9-5 wagon.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I had a Volvo 245 about 15 years ago. Awesome reliability, but unless you build it and get a turbo set-up not much performance. You need to research the Volvo's to find the combinations out there. You will find one.

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
I had a then-new 2015 XC60 with the 3.0 turbo inline 6 and AWD. It was a very good truck, but not great. Engine was very strong, liked the high tech TFT display, and styling. The dealer network was lame, lot of clueless service departments. Fit and finish was just ok. Kept it for three years and then moved on.

Reactions: andybisnut

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a then-new 2015 XC60 with the 3.0 turbo inline 6 and AWD. It was a very good truck, but not great. Engine was very strong, liked the high tech TFT display, and styling. The dealer network was lame, lot of clueless service departments. Fit and finish was just ok. Kept it for three years and then moved on.
How was the reliability factor, especially as compared with Saab?

·
Super Moderator
1,686 Posts
How was the reliability factor, especially as compared with Saab?
The Volvo was good. I think we had a couple of hiccups with an SRS Airbag module almost right away but thankfully that was it and covered under warranty (about 5k miles on the car when it happened). It did take the dealer a few tries to get it though. :rolleyes: I’d say reliability was similar to Saab but only had it 3 years before moving on, so it’s not like we did any real long term durability testing. Lol

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've got a little interest in Volvo, but seems like I only see them ragged out with bad engine or trans for sale on craigslist. At least with Saab I do see some well cared for but overpriced ones now and then:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I currently have a 2007 9-5 Aero wagon and a 2014 XC60 Platinum with the 3.0 T6 and AWD. To me they are two different breeds of cars. The Volvo is like the "fancy car" with power. I think in a race the XC60 would beat my wagon. It has neat features but does have it's own nuances too. We bought ours used at a dealer, and it's our go-to car for long distance trips with the kids. However the Saab has better seats in my opinion. Volvo wins in the cup holder department for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts