SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saab 99L (1854cc) 2 door saloon finished in Hell White

It’s a sad day but I’ve finally decided to sell my beloved SAAB 99L

Built on the 5th September 1972 in the Trollhattan factory in Sweden. First registered on the 1st January 1973 and is classed as a historic vehicle (so tax exempt)

Supplied by Parkside Garage in Pontefract, Yorkshire to Mr Albert.E Brown of Ferndown, Dorset (I don’t know why) who part exchanged a Morris 1800.

The car is virtually un-touched, never welded, having only had some very minor work to continue the excellent rust protection. It features “Soccer Ball” alloy wheels that were ordered from the factor at time of purchase.
The car is very original featuring a verified 20,960 miles from new. The car features the original date coded interior (carpets, seats and trim).

The exterior trim is all original including the wheel arch trims, which are starting to show their age. All the original glass is still fitted including the windscreen. The tool kit is complete and I even have a couple of period shopping bags that were in the boot (including receipts in shillings and pence).

The interior is all original and in excellent condition with no speaker holes, rips or tears. My wife would say “it smells like my granddad’s car”
The car features the 1854cc Triumph / Standard engine that was designed jointly by SAAB and Leyland. The engine is the same unit used in the dolomite sprint (less the 16 valve head) and actually half or a Triumph Stag v8. The engine is actually mounted back to front and leaned over with the fan belt and alternator at the back of the engine and the clutch at the front. The gearbox is mounted under the engine (hence the reason for the engine leaning at 40 degrees).
Unusually the SAAB has 4 wheel disc brakes and the handbrake operates the front wheels and of course in typical SAAB fashion the gear lever must be in reverse to remove the key. It was one of the first cars to have a built in safety cage and roll over protection.

It has Klippan seat belts in the front and no rear belts although the mountings are there already (rear belts were compulsory for cars sold in Europe at the time). The rear seat folds down for long loads and the front seats have automatic heaters. It has a heater rear screen that uses warm air from the heater that is ducted to the screen (electric heated windows hadn’t taken off then). It has opening rear windows (pop out) too.

The work that has been carried out in my care consists of:-
  • Rebuilt front callipers with new pads, pins, springs and parking brake shoes
  • Oil and filter changes at every MOT.
  • New Plugs and leads and distributor cap/arm.
  • New Air filter.
  • New battery.
  • Wheels refurbished (powder coated then machined to bring the sliver up)
  • 5 new tyres (4 x Pirelli P6000 with 400 miles on them) and an unused spare.
  • New Stainless steel mirrors and seals
  • New door scraper seals
  • New windscreen/rear screen chrome inserts
  • New pressed steel number plates (to replace the plastic ones)
  • Correct centre console (original dash panel included)
  • Recovered dash top panel (vinyl was peeling)
  • Recovered rear parcel shelf (vinyl was peeling)
I have accumulated a bunch of spares over the years including:
  • Headlight
  • Filters
  • Bushes
  • Gaiters
  • Pads
  • Clips and pins for brakes
  • Exhaust
These will all be included in the sale

I’ll be sad to see it go but I just don’t use it enough (it’s done less than 100 miles since the last MOT). It starts and drives superbly (although I haven’t taken it on a long run for a while). It’s just been MOT’d and taxed so you’ve got a good 11months of worry free motoring. It pulls up straight and everything works as it should.
My son had never seen wind up windows until he went for a run out in the SAAB (he was 4).
I have advertised the car elsewhere so I reserve the right to end the auction early. You must collect the car as I can’t deliver and I would recommend you come and see it as the pictures really don’t do it justice. It’s been garaged all the time I’ve had it and the previous owner (hello Gary) only sold it because he couldn’t leave garage it anymore.

More pictures can be found here: http://s1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh544/tubbyrsv/

I was digging through the paperwork last night and can tell you that the clutch was replaced at 16,000miles and the headlining was also replaced (both by a SAAB dealer!) at the same time in 2004.

The car won 2nd prize in the most admired class at swedish day a couple of years back (voted for by the public). It is a truely lovely car but please remember it is 40 years old and original. I have made a couple of replacement C pillar panels (you can see them in the photos) to replace the original foam items as they perrish over time.

If you have any questions please give me a buzz on 07770810662

1 - 1 of 1 Posts