SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently looking to buy a set of the earlier more skinny 99 bumpers from Tommy_the_saint over on UKSaabs, however cos he is down in Somerset we're having a bit of trouble sorting out some reasonable postage.

Can anyone here tell me how much these early (1975-1979) style bumpers are going to weigh please? Also I'm assuming they do just bolt straight onto my existing bumper brakcets right?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
Never compared, but I thought the pre-79 and post-79 bumpers were about the same size? The real early cars had nice chrome (stainless steel?) ones, but they didn't last long.

Not sure how much a bumper weighs, something like 10kg probably.

·
Registered
389 Posts
well my 73's bumpers weigh 40lbs or so, but i think the later ones are a bit different, probably lighter as they dont have such substantial bracketry.

Paul

·
Registered
190 Posts
THEO,THE FRONT BUMPER FROM THE EARLIER CAR WILL NOT BOLT STRAIGHT ON.
I HAVE ENGINEERED MINE TO FIT,USING THE PARTS FROM BOTH LATE AND EARLY BUMPERS............LOTS OF DRILLING,RE-LOCATING AND DISSASSEMBLING............ITS VERY TIME CONSUMING:roll:
THE REAR ONE SHOULD BOLT STRAIGHT UP, I THINK THE HOLES ARE IN THE CORRECT PLACE,BUT I COULDN'T GUARANTEE IT.............YOU WOULD ALSO NEED THE CENTRAL RUBBER BLOCK FROM THE REAR OF THE BUMPER,AND POSSIBLY THE ANGULAR BRACKET.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Birdie. How early are we talking here though? (i.e. what year did the front bumper brackets change?)
Any chance you could take some pics of the earlier style brackets? I may still try making it fit, suprised that they changed the brackets for the front and not the back though!:roll:

·
Registered
190 Posts
HELLO THEO,THE LATER ''BIG BUMPER'' ON THE 99 RAN FROM AROUND 1979 UP TO THE LAST MODELS SUCH AS YOURS...........THE EARLIER VERSION,OF THIS BUMPER,SUCH THAT WAS ON THE 2 DOOR 99 TURBO..............DIFFERED ONLY IN HAVING A THINNER CHROME STRIP.

THE BUMPERS YOU ARE AFTER,RAN FROM AROUND EARLY 1972 TO 1978,AS NUTCASE SAYS HAVING A STAINLESS METAL STRIP TO BEGIN WITH........LATER ONES HAD A RUBBER-BOUND STRIP.

THE FRONT BUMPER OF THESE YEARS HAS A TOTALLY DIFFERENT BOLT ARRANGEMENT,WHEREUPON THE MOUNTING BOLTS ARE IN THE HORIZONTAL.
THEY SLIDE INTO THE WELDED-ON BUMPER BRACKETS...........THAT STICK THRU YOUR FRONT PANEL.

YOUR CURRENT BUMPER FRONT BUMPER ,SIMPLY BOLTS FROM THE UNDERSIDE,WITH TWO LARGE ALLEN KEY BOLTS AND CAB BE REMOVED IN SECONDS...........

THE LAMP ARRANGEMENT ON MY RALLY CAR,IS ADAPTED TO FIT THE 'OLDER' ROUND SHAPE BUMPERS.................SO I CAN SWAP BETWEEN THEM,WHEN RALLYING........FOR DAYLIGHT OR DARKNESS....:lol: I WILL TRY AND SOME PICTURES UP LATER

·
Registered
167 Posts
Bumper weight

My experience is that later (900) bumpers are quite a bit lighter than the earlier steel and rubber ones. The rubber cover alone must weigh about 5kg!

For myself I am looking to make replica fibreglass bumpers

Dan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts