SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

Just had my gearbox oil drained on my 95 auto 2.3. It was done at my local garage who know Saabs. He said it will need another flush in a few months to try to get more out but said it looked OK. Started car and forwards it is OK. Put it in reverse and it is as if I had my clutch in. On the flat it moved slightly but wouldn't go backwards. Cant hear any strains or noises. Could it just need a blast down the bypass?

Thanks,

Scott.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Check the fluid level very carefully according to the instruction in the manual. It's not just pulling the dipstick and checking the level. Incorrect fluid level will prevent correct operation of any automatic transmission. Also make sure the correct fluid was used - Dexron III for 4speeds up to 2001, 3309 or Toyota Type IV for 5speeds from 2002 on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will check what was used tomorrow. Would this stop the car from going backwards and not forwards though?

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
scotw001 said:
Thanks. I will check what was used tomorrow. Would this stop the car from going backwards and not forwards though?

Who knows? But at least it's something you can check yourself. Incorrect fluid levels can cause all kinds of ailments.

·
Registered
8 Posts
sounds similar to mine, except giving the accelerator some rice, the car then starts moving. It's like a clutch is slipping and then kicks in. One thing I've tried which helped it was to keep your foot on the brake and move the selector from P to D, then to Reverse, then back to D. I think this has the effect of getting oil around the gearbox quickly....

Bob

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Holding the brake and putting the car in drive builds oil pressure in the auto box, which is what makes the transmission shift into different gears. Sounds to me like your fluid is low, however, the wrong fluid MAY affect it's performance, not to the point where it won't go into gear IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts