SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have found the adjuster for the handbrake behind the little rubber mat in the centre console storage area, but it is a single adjuster.
The problem I have is that when I apply the handbrake, it activates the narside rear wheel before the offside rear wheel.
There does not appear to be any obvious adjustment on the cables where they enter the rear wheel housings and unlike the Saab 9000 there does not appear to be individual cable adjustment at the handbrake lever.
Does anyone know if there is another location where the cable splits and it there is individual cable adjustment

Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You can adjust each wheel individually through a small hole in the rear drum, its the usual ratchet type adjuster, click till the wheel snags then back off! ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to mention, that mine is a 95 Aero 2.3T and has disc brakes on the back, is there a similar adjustment for the disc brakes?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
All 9-5's have discs on the rear. The handbrake pads are infront of the discs, but as Chris said adjustable through a small hole in the middle of the disc mounting surface. Another Saab quirk i'm afraid. :roll: :cheesy:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks very much for clearing that up,

I was thinking that perhaps mine had a system similar to the old Saab 99 where the pads on the front discs (Handbrake operates on front discs) where adjusted by screwing out the piston or somethink similar.

How easy are the shoes to access and check to see if they need replacing?

thanks for all the help so far

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Never done it, but according to Haynes if you can see more than 10 clicks on the automatic adjuster through the hole the shoes need replacing. Replacing needs the brake disc to be removed. They also say its not neccessary to remove the hub, but it makes the job a lot easier if you do.

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
Kermit said:
but as Chris said adjustable through a small hole in the middle of the disc mounting surface. Another Saab quirk i'm afraid. :roll: :cheesy:
It's straight off a Vauxhall Cavalier [then via the new 900] to the 9-5, it is fundementally the same hub only a bit bigger.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Never done it, but according to Haynes if you can see more than 10 clicks on the automatic adjuster through the hole the shoes need replacing. Replacing needs the brake disc to be removed. They also say its not neccessary to remove the hub, but it makes the job a lot easier if you do.

I have been advised that my handbrake pads ned replacing, was wondering if anyone here has done, what parts are required (any springs etc) any special tools, and can universal pads be had, also how long a job to do, any complications

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I have been advised that my handbrake pads ned replacing, was wondering if anyone here has done, what parts are required (any springs etc) any special tools, and can universal pads be had, also how long a job to do, any complications

I've never known them to need replacing - I guess because our handbrake system is on or off, not the parts that stop the rear wheels under normal braking. So my first question is - are you sure?

Parts for Saabs stock them - http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?products_id=2429

In terms of the job, you slacken them off through the little hole in the drum mentioned before then remove the drum, remove and replace the pad in the normal way cleaning away dust etc. You shouldnt need to replace any springs.

Then you will need to adjust them back up via the little hole in the drum again.

I have to say again though, I've never needed to replace mine (on either 9-5) :confused:

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
replacing the rear e-brake pads are just like doing a drum brake service. so you can do a search on google and most drum brakes are designed about the same that is on the 9-5.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Piece of advice and a trick

There is also an adjustment nut hidden inside the center console that adjusts the length of the cable attached to the handbrake lever. You can use it to reduce (or increase) the travel of the lever when engaging the brake. I just tightened mine to lock at 5th click instead of 7-8th ;)

The WIS tells you to adjust it using 10mm socket. There is a service whole under the armrest compartment (when you remove the rubber mat). However, the bolt was so long that I didn't have 10mm sockets deep enough to reach the nut. And there was no way to fit a regular spanner wrench in there.

If that is your case, here is what I did:
Instead of trying to reach it through the service hole, I removed the coin holder and pushed the window control pack out. With these two holes open and handbrake released there is enough room to access the screw with a regular wrench (clicker wrench makes it much easier) and adjust the handbrake lever to the desired level :D

·
Registered
431 Posts
thx, your replys were all very helpfull, turned out it was the cable needing adjusted, and those spiral adjusty bits had seized up a bit, its working better now, but further observations confirmed i shall require front and rear discs and off course brake pads for next mot test in the summer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts