SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a 2002 Saab 95 Aero, 2.3 250hp. It's totally original. I wanted to do about 400 / 500cv, what do I need to about internals? I have already been told that the B235R's internals can not handle more than 300hp, and as my engine is good the idea was to buy one apart and change that.

pistons and connecting rods reach the level of internal to maintain reliability, or need something more?

What do they advise on turbo and everything else?

best regards

Enviado do meu SM-G950F através do Tapatalk

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
All I know is Wossner forged Pistons, forged internal parts, tune and larger turbo. Don't forget about brakes too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pistons are the weak point. If you are going over 350 crank you will need to go forged. Rods are good for 600hp no questions asked. The trannys start going pretty quickly if you don’t do the LSD. What are you trying to get to and what’s your budget?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pistons are the weak point. If you are going over 350 crank you will need to go forged. Rods are good for 600hp no questions asked. The trannys start going pretty quickly if you don’t do the LSD. What are you trying to get to and what’s your budget?
Thanks for the explenation.
I just want to do about 500hpor less more, so, what it needs to do it, it will has it.
Wich turbo do you recomend for that? GTX30? GT35? I want to run reliable, so i dont want much turbo pressure.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Pistons are the weak point. If you are going over 350 crank you will need to go forged.
Based on what?
The fact that after multiple hard pulls to a 150mph and we have had failure at 295 whp and 344 torque. If you do one hard pull your good but after heat soak and hard pulls the positions detonate. The older t5 motors can take 400 whp. This is a 9-5 that had t5 cams and a stage three build.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Thanks for the explenation.
I just want to do about 500hpor less more, so, what it needs to do it, it will has it.
Wich turbo do you recomend for that? GTX30? GT35? I want to run reliable, so i dont want much turbo pressure.

Do you have e85 in your area

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
The fact that after multiple hard pulls to a 150mph and we have had failure at 295 whp and 344 torque. If you do one hard pull your good but after heat soak and hard pulls the positions detonate. The older t5 motors can take 400 whp. This is a 9-5 that had t5 cams and a stage three build.
Which octane you run?
Which tune? Stage 3 is not relevant.

I have stock internals in 06 9-5 Aero and I have 315WHP and 480Nm.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Which octane you run?
Which tune? Stage 3 is not relevant.

I have stock internals in 06 9-5 Aero and I have 315WHP and 480Nm.
We tune our own but have had the same results with bsr and Nordic. Both great companies just not meant to do hard pulls back to back for an hour. Heat soak is the real killer. 350 crank is the braking point for high mileage motors. With back to back hard pulls.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
BSR and Nordic have "tuned" safety limits.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do you have e85 in your area
I don't.
I'm from Portugal. We only have 95 and 98 octanes.

Okay so you know your injector size then no need to go over 900cc. So 875s will work for what you are trying to achieve. You can run t5 cams as well. Make sure thou to get cams from a NA 2.3 motor. That will make a difference. Then pistons which you can use Wiseco, WOSSNER or JE. We us wossner more often but for a little more money JE can add a coating with does add a little more abuse which I would do since your can’t get e85. E85 runs much cooler then regular gas. You will need a 3.0 or 3.5 fuel pressure regulator as well and a lager intercooler. Then larger turbo, We like using the hx35 cause they can be rebuild and bought for 300 dollars and you only have to run oil lines which is nice and only lose about 200 rpm on the power band companies to the gtx30. The gtx does make a great sound thou (ball bearing) exhaust manifold and piping will be next a long with stronger diverter valve. You will need a wide band gauge as well

·
Registered
399 Posts
BSR and Nordic have "tuned" safety limits.
you tell that to the blown motors that we have ripped apart haha. like I said hard pulls over and over at high speed and a older motor they will go. But the same really could be said for any motor. But the weak point in the b235r is the pistons. We are not far off from numbers from what your car is tuned at and what we have experienced. So all is good man. Altitude could also make a difference.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
T7 pistons break because they are in T7 cars, they run on the edge of detonation. If you run a wideaband you can tell when you run lean. Lean running engines crack T7 pistons. If you have Injector or Air mass issues T& will push too hard and there you go.

I run a 19t on a 20K engine stock internals and can pull all say on the highway. tuend to a safe 11.7 AFR

·
Registered
399 Posts
T7 pistons break because they are in T7 cars, they run on the edge of detonation. If you run a wideaband you can tell when you run lean. Lean running engines crack T7 pistons. If you have Injector or Air mass issues T& will push too hard and there you go.

I run a 19t on a 20K engine stock internals and can pull all say on the highway. tuend to a safe 11.7 AFR
The question asked was what are the weak points in the motor for a 400 to 500 build. So that again is Pistons.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
The discussion went to limits on T7 pistons, just added my bits.

You mentioned the blown engines you tore apart at 300 HP, I said if you monitor AFR you will have less issues...

·
Super Moderator
1,914 Posts
The discussion went to limits on T7 pistons, just added my bits.

You mentioned the blown engines you tore apart at 300 HP, I said if you monitor AFR you will have less issues...
Looking at the difference between the T5 and T7 pistons, I can’t help but notice how thin the ring lands are on the T7. Too tight of a ring gap combined with the heat buildup from back-to-back pulls could easily equal trouble. I don’t know these engines, but I can see why there are problems.

Agree with monitoring the AFR, that’s huge, but it looks like some definite OEM piston limitations at play. Very common these days, frankly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay so you know your injector size then no need to go over 900cc. So 875s will work for what you are trying to achieve. You can run t5 cams as well. Make sure thou to get cams from a NA 2.3 motor. That will make a difference. Then pistons which you can use Wiseco, WOSSNER or JE. We us wossner more often but for a little more money JE can add a coating with does add a little more abuse which I would do since your can’t get e85. E85 runs much cooler then regular gas. You will need a 3.0 or 3.5 fuel pressure regulator as well and a lager intercooler. Then larger turbo, We like using the hx35 cause they can be rebuild and bought for 300 dollars and you only have to run oil lines which is nice and only lose about 200 rpm on the power band companies to the gtx30. The gtx does make a great sound thou (ball bearing) exhaust manifold and piping will be next a long with stronger diverter valve. You will need a wide band gauge as well
Thank you a lot! You have been helpfull!
Here in Portugal people dont help each other with knowledge.
When I start to build, I will post everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts