SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The Saab 93 coupes driven by Darren Hossack and Dean Randle will be racing on September 17th and 18th at Oran park. I think it will be televised on "Speedweek" the following sunday at 12pm to 2pm on SBS. Other cars that feature are Ford Mustangs, Corvettes and Alfa Romeos. Darren Hossack was the 2004 champion but this year he has been just behind Tony Riccardello in his Alfa GTV.

I taped the last race which was three weeks ago and it was amazing so if any one is interested outside of Australia then I may send you a copy. As far as I know thses are the only Saabs racing in the world today.

The cars are heavily modified 93 coupes with 700hp Chevy engines which are sitting right next to the driver. The whole body including the windscreen is made of plastic to keep the weight down.

Aussie viewers keep an eye out. :eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Those are dinitely highly modified - obviously rear wheel drive converted.

My main question though - why is the primary sponser of a racing Saab a company called "Audi Spares".

I would love to see the new 93ss as part of a touring car championship campaign. Surely there is some potential there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "Sport Sedan Trans Am" racing class is only in Australia. Basically every teams' car has the same 700hp chevy engine and they all modify their chassis how they like. I quite like what they have done with the 93 coupe.

None of the teams sponsors have anything to do with the make of the cars. I can't explain it anymore than that. As a team you pick a car you like then modify it and get a sponsor and seeing as though these 93's have nothing to do with saab as a racing team an Audi spare parts chain wouldn't have any problem with it. I've heard recently that they are going to modify an Audi A4 as well.

Regardlees it is just very cool to see a Saab tear around against those other cool cars. Also because Saab have nothing to do with racing and rally anymore I will take what I can get. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Sounds sort of like American NASCAR racing. NASCAR "stock" cars are made completely out of carbon fiber, with painted-on headlights. They've got huge custom engines. Yet they have Ford or Chevrolet or whatever logos on them. Not one component on a NASCAR can be bought at a dealer. Those "stock" cars are completely "custom", making the abbreviation "NASCAR" a misnomer.

If the SAAB in the Australian Trans-Am circuit is made completely of plastic, with plastic windscreen, has been converted to rear-wheel drive, and is sporting a Chevy engine, at what point does it cease to be a SAAB?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1985 Gripen said:
If the SAAB in the Australian Trans-Am circuit is made completely of plastic, with plastic windscreen, has been converted to rear-wheel drive, and is sporting a Chevy engine, at what point does it cease to be a SAAB?
It has a saab 93 wheel base and saab chassis as standard but the mod parts on the chassis are plastic and the windscreen. It's a saab because it looks like a saab. Every car has the same engine.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
cinemarr said:
But does it have heated seats?!? :cheesy:
That is sweet. Where can I get those headlight covers?
I like that Koni is a sponser of the 'Saab'.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CleveSaab said:
But does it have heated seats?!? :cheesy:
That is sweet. Where can I get those headlight covers?
I like that Koni is a sponser of the 'Saab'.
With 700hp you bet it has heated seats!

I want one.:cheesy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts