SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:Hi all, I bought my 1999 saab 93 in january, It only came with one key, It is just a flat-ish black key with no buttons. Is this correct or should it have have buttons??

·
Registered
521 Posts
That is normal. The key comes in a transponder style and a remote style. You have the transponder(button-less) style. For future reference, this is the forum you belong in http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15. You accidentally posted in the 2003+ forum.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
:confused:Hi all, I bought my 1999 saab 93 in january, It only came with one key, It is just a flat-ish black key with no buttons. Is this correct or should it have have buttons??

Welcome! Yes, the plain transponder key is normal for the '99 cars.

The remote keys are physically larger, but with the included remote, a handier solution I think.

Either key and remote will work and honestly, the remote keys are a less expensive path. (assuming any new keys are available)

Buy a used remote key on line, buy a new bare remote key. Stick the electronics from the used key into the new bare key and have the car programmed to recognize the key. Voila!

The simple transponder keys are the same basic cost for the bare cut key, but you'll also have to buy the other half of the key cover and the transponder chip. Just like the other solution, you'll have to get the car programmed to recognize the key afterwards. Even without a new or used banana remote, the cost of a replacement transponder key is higher than a fully functional remote key.

I do strongly suggest you purchase at least one additional key. Loosing the only key is a very costly mistake.

An alturnitive is to get your existing key cloned. There are some locksmiths that can duplicate the key and clone the existing chip. Certainly a viable option if the SAAB parts network hasn't gotten back up to speed with the collapse of SAAB cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome! Yes, the plain transponder key is normal for the '99 cars.

The remote keys are physically larger, but with the included remote, a handier solution I think.

Either key and remote will work and honestly, the remote keys are a less expensive path. (assuming any new keys are available)

Buy a used remote key on line, buy a new bare remote key. Stick the electronics from the used key into the new bare key and have the car programmed to recognize the key. Voila!

The simple transponder keys are the same basic cost for the bare cut key, but you'll also have to buy the other half of the key cover and the transponder chip. Just like the other solution, you'll have to get the car programmed to recognize the key afterwards. Even without a new or used banana remote, the cost of a replacement transponder key is higher than a fully functional remote key.

I do strongly suggest you purchase at least one additional key. Loosing the only key is a very costly mistake.

An alturnitive is to get your existing key cloned. There are some locksmiths that can duplicate the key and clone the existing chip. Certainly a viable option if the SAAB parts network hasn't gotten back up to speed with the collapse of SAAB cars.
Hi. I'm a newbie here. Just bought a 2001 93 hatch and it only has 1 key. It is the remote type with three buttons.
Does the same procedure apply for 2001 cars as well.
Have I got it right....
1. Buy second hand 3-button remote key (probably from ebay)
2. Buy new (blank) key (from somewhere???)
3. Swap the circuit (gubbins) from the old key to the new one.
4. Get an auto-locksmith to a.) cut the key and b.) marry it to the car?

Cheers,
Stu..

·
Registered
324 Posts
The place you order the key from might be able to cut it for you. Not just any lock smith will be able to program it, they will have to have a tech II scanner to program it.

·
Registered
1999 9-3 4dr/hardtop 275K
468 Posts
Be careful not to purchase a UK version of the remote on ebay (unless you have a UK car). I did that twice before I learned the error of my ways. Oddly, both ebay sellers were in the USA and neither had ill intent. I ended up with a key that would start and run my car but would not remotely unlock the doors or trunk.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Be careful not to purchase a UK version of the remote on ebay (unless you have a UK car). I did that twice before I learned the error of my ways. Oddly, both ebay sellers were in the USA and neither had ill intent. I ended up with a key that would start and run my car but would not remotely unlock the doors or trunk.
+1 Did the same things... except with one key.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
There is a locksmith in Oregon I believe that has the ability to laser cut they keys by your vin...I think I have it saved somewhere on my home computer.

I also have a key blank (brand new/never cut) sitting on my desk...

·
Registered
2 Posts
There is a locksmith in Oregon I believe that has the ability to laser cut they keys by your vin...I think I have it saved somewhere on my home computer.

I also have a key blank (brand new/never cut) sitting on my desk...
It's a pity I live in the south-east UK. Oregon is a bit of a trek. :)
How much do you want of for the blank key on your desk? (Obviously plus postage)..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts