SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Bought SAAB 900ng 1997 cabrio 2 months ago and now restoring it from scratch. Now I reached a part where washed my carpet and preparing it to put it back to the car. But before that I want to get all required wires for CD changer and put it where they all should be. The problem I meet is that I dont know how the original CD changer wire looks like and what should I expect when searching for it? One dealer shows one type of wire while another dealer shows another wire. I didin’t get CD changer yet but I will get it soon so while it is still on the way I just want to figure out all the things about wires. Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
All the NG900 we see in North America are prewired for CD changers. (I assume you are going for an OEM version.) The changer connector is a right-angle round DIN 13 pin connector. If you remove the lining on the left side of the trunk/boot, it should be somewhere by the left wheel well or power antenna.

WIS has some pictures.

I believe that you also need to know the CD changer code or it won't work--same as your radio.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! So now I know that if I want to connect changer to my radio unit I need to use round DIN 13 connector as shown in a picture below.

1. But what connector is on the other side of the wire (part which connects to changer)? Is it the same DIN 13 connector or something other? Maybe I just can to order simple wire with DIN 13 connectors on both sides and it will work?

2. I didn’t find preinstalled wire there. Mine is EU version cabrio.

3. If changer will require a code where can I find it?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
The round DIN connector is for the CD changer end and at the back (not side) of the radio according to WIS. Do you see that at the radio end?

If there is a circuit diagram for the CD changer wiring for NG900 in WIS, I can not find it. :nono; Do you have WIS? You can download it from the Tech II forum here. It shows the routing of the cables and some other information, even if it is lacking some details.

You would definitely want the proper CD cable. I would not expect a generic 13-pin DIN cable to work. I could be wrong, though. I am not sure how 'standard' the DIN cables are. My 1997 900S had the CD changer cable, which I snipped. :nono; I have a CD changer, but it's a Blaupunkt to go with the Blaupunkt radio.

I don't see any mention of code for CD changers in WIS, so maybe it is install and use. I do know that CD changers for 9-3/9-5 have to be married/divorced via Tech II. NG900 radio is just code, I was guessing CD changer had code as well. Maybe not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I see round DIN 13 female connector at back of the radio. Also there is side connector which you mentioned but I am sure it is for external amp.

All I can find about changer and radio together is a pic below. There I can see some explanations about DIN 13 wire and its pins functionality.

Yes, 9-3 and 9-5 need to be married with a lot of items if you want to install them. 900ng is last SAAB which was a way more simple in this case.

1. Also extra question about radio codes. I think mine is locked because when I push ON button it doesn’t react at all. When I want to check whether I need to enter its code - SID buttons doesn’t react at all too - only shows set time as when I started car. Buttons of SID don’t respond to any press. What problem could be here?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you actually have a cable plugged into the back of the radio, and the right angle end of it is in the boot, then it is for the CD player. Any additional amplifiers were at the front of the car, in the side of the centre console.

I am not sure what is going on with your SID/radio. If you leave the radio off, do SID functions work? Which SID do you have? There was a very simple SID with only time available in Europe; I have never seen that here.

Edit: to add, you can see more pictures in the WIS section "Fault diagnosis, CD changer".

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, sadly there was no cable at all - thats why I am watching for information about it. Also I have better idea for changer place - I wish to put it below front passenger seat - will be easier to put CDs ? .

About SID and radio:

1. Radio unit doesn’t respond to any clicks except when I push ON button I can hear very very tiny ambient sound from speakers for 1 second. After that nothing happens with it.

2. It is SID 2 with analog clock (pic below). Whatever I press it asks only to set clock and nothing else. When trying to set up clock I fail because no one of buttons react to my clicks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
You should check if fuse(es) on back of radio are good.

If you are getting SET CLOCKS message, in theory you should be able to press the +/- buttons on SID to change the digital clock to match the analogue clock. Then press SET. When the clocks are synchronized, changing the analogue clock time using the small buttons under the clock will change the digital clock in the SID display as well.

Try pressing the buttons harder, including the SET button to get beyond SET CLOCKS for the time being. If that does not work, then the SID buttons may be dead. (Maybe someone took the SID apart and put it back together incorrectly?)

If you succeed in setting the clocks, but get the same SET CLOCKS the next time the car is turned on, then there is a problem in the SID or the car's electrical system. It should only do this after a battery disconnect or SID removal.

You might also want to check that the connector to the SID is solidly in place.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should check if fuse(es) on back of radio are good.

If you are getting SET CLOCKS message, in theory you should be able to press the +/- buttons on SID to change the digital clock to match the analogue clock. Then press SET. When the clocks are synchronized, changing the analogue clock time using the small buttons under the clock will change the digital clock in the SID display as well.

Try pressing the buttons harder, including the SET button to get beyond SET CLOCKS for the time being. If that does not work, then the SID buttons may be dead. (Maybe someone took the SID apart and put it back together incorrectly?)

If you succeed in setting the clocks, but get the same SET CLOCKS the next time the car is turned on, then there is a problem in the SID or the car's electrical system. It should only do this after a battery disconnect or SID removal.

You might also want to check that the connector to the SID is solidly in place.
Thanks a lot! Now I am away from my cabrio for one week. When I back home I will try all your steps. I hope it will help. If not, I will take apart SID, maybe there exist some problems. I will inform whether I succeed ? .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts